Assault in Udon Thani

blackion

I was also attacked in a similar manner to UK tourists during Songkran in Udon Thani. Reported the case to the police and went to evaluation at the hospital. In my case it wasn't provoked, as I didn't slap the guy. The guy came from behind and punched me to the back of my head. After regaining consciousness I stood up and called for the police. That guy came running after me for the second time and delivered more punches, however I didn't fight back throughout the whole incident, just covered my head with my hands.

Is there a way to publicize the story of my attack? I would be interested for it to become known as well, since if news papers will publish stories about such attacks and eventual sentences, it may deter Thai men/youth from attacking foreigners in the future.

(Reposting from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/914216-police-not-behind-video-attack-leak-incident-a-nightmare-for-the-country-says-pm-office/?p=10769408 as the thread got inactive)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I assume there are CCTVs, but I understand the police didn't get the feed. I'll try to ask the police to do that, however if the story could get media attention even prior to that I would assume police would be much eager in getting the feed.

Well, I assume there are CCTVs, but I understand the police didn't get the feed. I'll try to ask the police to do that, however if the story could get media attention even prior to that I would assume police would be much eager in getting the feed.

Hundreds if not thousands of assaults every day worldwide that never make the news mate. While I am sorry to hear you got bashed why haven't you been kicking up a massive stink yourself or posting it all over the Web? Why wait till this other story came out.

Hundreds if not thousands of assaults every day worldwide that never make the news mate. While I am sorry to hear you got bashed why haven't you been kicking up a massive stink yourself or posting it all over the Web? Why wait till this other story came out.

Well, it seems lately that Thai young guys became too trigger happy. Not that it wasn't happening before, but it seems lately it became a new style: lets go drink, enjoy and kick some foreigner :).

I didn't really wait for the story to come out, they got beaten on the same Songkran, just two days prior to me if I recall it right.

Generally I would assume I should approach some Thai media either in English or Thai languages, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

Wasting your time.

I would rather welcome constructive suggestions. But, what would you do if an unknown Thai drunk guy would suddenly punch you in the back of the head, coming from behind, with such a force that you would lose consciousness and then run after you and deliver multiple punches? Wouldn't you feel angry? Wouldn't you like the police to catch that guy? What would you do in such a situation?

Wasting your time.

I would rather welcome constructive suggestions. But, what would you do if an unknown Thai drunk guy would suddenly punch you in the back of the head, coming from behind, with such a force that you would lose consciousness and then run after you and deliver multiple punches? Wouldn't you feel angry? Wouldn't you like the police to catch that guy? What would you do in such a situation?

Firstly, I think you are trolling, secondly, if you are not, I don't see what you hope to achieve ?

So, you got a slap over 5 weeks ago during the biggest festive season in Thailand.

Now you are probably new over here, but during this holiday period, a lot of people get drunk, Thais and farang alike, and I would suggest you had partaken in the consumption of some alcoholic beverages on the said evening also. You go to the police, and report you got a slap, but you have no evidence. What are they expected to do ?

All they will do, if they can even be bothered, is write a police report based on the version of events narrated to them, by yourself.

That is as far as it will go, and, like it or not, that is the way it happens over here, and I am talking through personal experience.

Now, had you been shot, stabbed, or received injuries that left you in a critical condition, they would probably have a different outlook on the matter.

So, as I said in my first reply, you are wasting your time.

Wasting your time.

It's best not to reply to trolls like that. Take a look at that douchebag's profile, he's always making dismissive and argumentative comments on others' threads, just to stir up trouble. Anyway, he would no doubt answer your question above with some tough-guy posturing about how "nobody who punched me would be standing long enough to do it a second time," or some such keyboard warrior bullshit.

Sorry you had that experience...though, as others have said, if you don't have video footage of it or can otherwise locate and identify the assailant, you probably aren't going to get very far with pursuing any sort of justice.

Sorry you had that experience...though, as others have said, if you don't have video footage of it or can otherwise locate and identify the assailant, you probably aren't going to get very far with pursuing any sort of justice.

Well, I'm trying to ask police to get the footage, I'm amused (to some extent) they didn't do so by themselves. The tourist police came to the scene and I lead them to the group of people from where the guy emerged. They all seem to belong to one group, wearing the same t-shirts. The tourist police didn't ask them much, didn't bring the leader to police station, didn't interview witnesses, etc. They denied everything I was asking, the only thing they did is took a photo of the car number plate (with Udon plates) the group used.

If the police would really like, they surely can find the attacker via following the car owner and making an investigation in their mubaan. But I surely got the impression that they will do so only if that case will be publicized.

send your story to as many newspapers as you can especially in the UK, might do something then expect to be accused of ruining (sic) the Thai goodname

What is the way of sending the story to newspapers in UK? Should I message them on fb, or via e-mail? If via e-mail, 1-2 e-mails would be handy, thanks.

If true, I have to agree with the guy that said, you're wasting your time..

My thoughts...

You're a guy and not an old women, so not many will give a crap..

You were not injured seriously..

What were the results of your medical evaluation?

Any photo's, of the back of your head that shows you were hurt? Reason, if they catch the guy, you may get 200 baht for your injury.

The police have bigger crimes to solve?

You're not wealthy or famous??

Anyway, good luck..

Edited by D3030

Well, I'm trying to ask police to get the footage, I'm amused (to some extent) they didn't do so by themselves. The tourist police came to the scene and I lead them to the group of people from where the guy emerged. They all seem to belong to one group, wearing the same t-shirts. The tourist police didn't ask them much, didn't bring the leader to police station, didn't interview witnesses, etc. They denied everything I was asking, the only thing they did is took a photo of the car number plate (with Udon plates) the group used.

If the police would really like, they surely can find the attacker via following the car owner and making an investigation in their mubaan. But I surely got the impression that they will do so only if that case will be publicized financed.

edited to be more accurate.

sorry for your troubles.

The quick 5-step guide to Internet justice

Step 1. Get the video of the alleged assault yourself - do not rely on police

Step 2. Get pictures of your horrific injuries, preferably after the assault showing a lot of blood

Step 3. Put it on Youtube with details of the assault

Step 4. Send emails or letters to every newspaper blog site and forum you can, with pictures of your injuries and translated police report

Step 5. Hope someone picks it up and it goes viral.

Just a question. What do you hope to achieve out of doing this?

send your story to as many newspapers as you can especially in the UK, might do something then expect to be accused of ruining (sic) the Thai goodname

What is the way of sending the story to newspapers in UK? Should I message them on fb, or via e-mail? If via e-mail, 1-2 e-mails would be handy, thanks.

Since you got hit Thailand has moved on two college lectures shot and killed the killer sucide on live TV can you compete with that. I think not, get over yourself have a beer and enjoy your life

Since you got hit Thailand has moved on two college lectures shot and killed the killer sucide on live TV can you compete with that. I think not, get over yourself have a beer and enjoy your life

that's a shitty reply moe....wait until it happens to you..see how you feel.

Thaiduncankk invents scenario to fit his own narrative.

Do I, when I write I am talking through experience, do you understand that, or are you not English ?

A similar thing happened to me, the difference was, there were witnesses, and the assailant was known by me.

Got a hospital report, only a few abraisions, and went to the police.

As I said, they really were not interested.

What I will add about my experience is that it was not a random assault, and there was provocation by both parties.

I suggest the same is true of the OP.

If the police would really like, they surely can find the attacker via following the car owner and making an investigation in their mubaan. But I surely got the impression that they will do so only if that case will be publicized.

As kaorop already advised, the cops need to be paid before they will investigate anything.

Adverse publicity may work but for something that happened about 5 weeks ago? Forget about it.

Unless of course the OP is still in Udon and wants to incite some sort of repeat attack so that he can get a few lines in the DM? Knock yourself out... unless you get knocked out first of course.

Well, it seems lately that Thai young guys became too trigger happy. Not that it wasn't happening before, but it seems lately it became a new style: lets go drink, enjoy and kick some foreigner smile.png.

I didn't really wait for the story to come out, they got beaten on the same Songkran, just two days prior to me if I recall it right.

Generally I would assume I should approach some Thai media either in English or Thai languages, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

I'm sorry you got assaulted. That's something people shouldn't have to suffer.

However, given the number of foreigners here at any one time, expats, tourists, business visitors and illegals, the amount of assaults doesn't really suggest a widespread spate of foreigner bashing.

Foreigners should, in any country, keep away from locals who have been heavily drinking. Unless you are an expert on that countries' culture, behavior and reasonably fluent the chances of a misunderstanding with people who have been drinking large amounts of alcohol are great.

The Welsh family had been drinking and unfortunately one bumped into an aggressive drunk who has just been arguing with a local. That shove caused an unsteady person to fall. His mum started arguing and once she slapped the drunk, and her husband punched another it was never going to end well.

Even in your own country, you have to be careful around places crowded with drunks. They can turn violent and hit anyone for no apparent reason. One of the more unfortunate effects of this readily available drug.

You reacted correctly as retaliation even in self defense could have provoked others to join in. I hope the police follow this up and suggest, as others have, you post to social media and contact the press in your home country.

never give up on justice!!! spend 10-years in the court system, get the video, interview everyone, do youtube, talk to your embassy.....

if you plan on staying here, you must have a right for justice!!!!

you might have a brain injury from concussion........not fun and justice must be served

or just go back home and enjoy, up to you.....

only in thaivisa forum, the apologists push the victim to keep it quiet, so he dont ruin the tourism industry...coffee1.gif

I fail to see where anyone has suggested keeping any incident quiet, if anything actually happened, in case it ruins the tourism industry.

If you actually believe that he is telling a true story, or the fuel version of events if it happened, and that it will have any effect on Thai tourism, you are as delusional as he is.

An increase on attacks to foreigners happens in many cases as more and more foreigners come to live in a region.Has the expat population increased much in Udon over the last few years?

Too much , Soo much . their every frkng where , kap.

go back ten / 15 years , hardly any of the fr....ers . here .clap2.gif

My take , on this , regarding the increased number of assaults on aliens , in Thailand ,

is directly related , to the thai working man , being on a average salary of 8000 bht salary a Mounth .

They must be rite pisssed off . I have myself recently been looked upon by thai men with daggers ,in their eyes,

when i take my wife, to a thai restaurant for a meal .{ i do not support any farlang buisness, my choice ]

Brits on bennys ,non workers can and do , live a good life in Thailand , those farlangs on pensions , many of whom ,

choose to live , the life of a King in Gods waiting room , aka Udon , must cause a lot of resentment amongst the macho thai .

I do not advocate violence , however a understanding of the motives in a Thai, material world .

may ease the pain , of a assault , i doubt it. coffee1.gif

Edited by elliss

only in thaivisa forum, the apologists push the victim to keep it quiet, so he dont ruin the tourism industry...coffee1.gif

I fail to see where anyone has suggested keeping any incident quiet, if anything actually happened, in case it ruins the tourism industry.

If you actually believe that he is telling a true story, or the fuel version of events if it happened, and that it will have any effect on Thai tourism, you are as delusional as he is.

You and others apologists, just called him a troll.... But you are the one who is trolling this forum on daily basis! This is a free speech forum, let him talk and keep your sh### bully tactics for yourself!

If you dont like this thread, just put him on your ignore list and give us a break!

ps: out of curiosity, how many fake account do you have here?

You and others apologists, just called him a troll.... But you are the one who is trolling this forum on daily basis! This is a free speech forum, let him talk and keep your sh### bully tactics for yourself!

If you dont like this thread, just put him on your ignore list and give us a break!

ps: out of curiosity, how many fake account do you have here?

I have never made a troll post since I joined TV.

I commented that I had a similar experience, and explained that the police, basically, are not interested in such incidents. I don't know what 'expertise' you have on the subject, probably none, as usual.

I suggested he was a troll as opossed to calling him one, there is a big difference, if you care to look it up in the dictionary.

And, for your information, this is the only account I have ever had here.

Can I ask from what part of America you are from ?