NE people unhappy with life after military take-over

rooster59

Polls mean nothing apparently and the results are never to be respected unless of course they suit the agenda and boy oh boy after reading the comments some have the utmost respect for THESE poll results.

Lets just have an election and see what the people really want, but alas I hate coups so best not to rush it this time so as to ensure that future elected governments cannot abuse power and act like an elected dictatorship before elections happen again.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3,500 people from the whole country what a joke

3500 is rather a large sample size for a survey, and as mentioned before at least twice larger than the other polls published previously.

Of course we don't have any other details on how it has been conducted and of the possible bias (sample composition, people afraid to give their true opinion, etc...)

They also say "not bad" equals the grade 6.65. If they use a Lickert scale it looks like it's the middle of the scale, i.e. very bad/bad/not bad/good/very good.

So it seems the average value for the NE is less than 1 point under the middle value of the scale, and the average value for the central region is less than one point above.

I live in the NE and the only difference I can see between the pre and post military takeover is the crackdown on gambling such as hi-low and Bok. Otherwise nothing has changed. I would like to see the reasons why the people are not happy.

They're not happy because Obama is in the White House, HRC will occupy it for the next eight years and they're not allowed to own assault rifles or Uzies - that's why!

wrong country...read again.

Let's just say I can understand why the current PM is irritable. Now where is that ICT guy with the single gateway!

you just reminded me of something, about a month ago or so, at one of my nearby shops. A very polite young man, the sort who would be described in the West as a 'Nerdy' looking type, baled me up and asked what I thought about the single gateway. I was betting his Mum and Dad thought it had something to do with their driveway. He struck me as being quite mature for his years. I was impressed.

And no, I do not think a single gateway is a step in the right direction. Governments don't just need to be 'honest' - They need to be seen to be honest.

I said a while back that the Government is going to have to learn how to deal with the internet and social media. There is no turning back. it is not going away.

We have had hundreds of years and fought many battles to get to where we are in the West. To build our democracies. The Thais are 'newbies'. I fervently hope no more blood shed. No more Thais killing Thais in the streets.

This has got to be "bull crap" as i recently saw a report by the Prayuth government, where they had done a survey and found that 83% of the population thought that he is doing a great job.......so there! clap2.gifcheesy.gif

The government hopes that people will read it exactly as you have suggested.

If they were being truthful, they would have said that 83% of those surveyed thought that he is doing a great job, and I imagine his brother and his old Mum were on the list of those who got a phone call... and his nephew of course... nepotism does have it's uses.

Winnie

Interesting..

I live in the northeast and people here really do not seem to care much one way or the other.

Live for the common person has not changed much at all since the change in government.

People are too busy with their daily lives, feeding the family, worrying about the weather and working on their farms to pay much attention

Life goes on, and it's really pretty much the same.

You may well be correct. However that does not make staging a coup and all subsequently related events any more acceptable.

Of course not, neither does it make a blanket amnesty for the right people or paying 870 billion Baht directly to farmers who are still poor more acceptable.

In the mean time life goes on and mostly foreign posters complain.

Surprised a fanboy has the cheek to mention amnesties. Talk about hypocrisy.

Not surprising at all the attack on person. Even Ms. Yingluck is much more general in her comments although there's the usual about "let's have an election".

Interesting..

I live in the northeast and people here really do not seem to care much one way or the other.

Live for the common person has not changed much at all since the change in government.

People are too busy with their daily lives, feeding the family, worrying about the weather and working on their farms to pay much attention

You may well be correct. However that does not make staging a coup and all subsequently related events any more acceptable.

Of course not, neither does it make a blanket amnesty for the right people or paying 870 billion Baht directly to farmers who are still poor more acceptable.

I certainly agree that the coup makers granting themselves a blanket amnesty is also not acceptable, but how do you know what Thai posters have to say in their forums?

I certainly agree that Thai posters have a lot to say in 'their' forums. Mostly about the latest soap and exchanging pictures of food and the kids and so.

Mind you, that from my observation of Thai in Bangkok, those Thai who come from upcountry and miss the life there. Too much work and less pleasure in Bangkok I guess.

Having their democratic right to choose a leader and a government being taken away maybe?, just a wild guess

There has been no democracy in Thailand at any time. If you think the Shins were democratically elected, that's up to you.

People had the vote and the shins won landslide elections, if you want to buy into the myth that it was bought and that the democrats never paid for votes, that's up to you.

The 870 billion Baht Pheu Thai stated to have paid directly to rice farmers with the poor ones still poor makes one wonder though. With the RPPS stopped even the richer people no longer let some satang trickle down. No wonder people in NorthEast are less happy.

^^

Who has been attacked?

Not you, my dear Baboon. You may have missed jesimps was addressing me.

Some here seem to have the idea that their arguments have more weight when they attach labels like 'fanboys' to their own arguments.

Interesting..

I certainly agree that the coup makers granting themselves a blanket amnesty is also not acceptable, but how do you know what Thai posters have to say in their forums?

I certainly agree that Thai posters have a lot to say in 'their' forums. Mostly about the latest soap and exchanging pictures of food and the kids and so.

Mind you, that from my observation of Thai in Bangkok, those Thai who come from upcountry and miss the life there. Too much work and less pleasure in Bangkok I guess.

How do you know what Thai posters have to say in their forums?

^^

Who has been attacked?

Some here seem to have the idea that their arguments have more weight when they attach labels like 'fanboys' to their own arguments.

Accurate though they are.

I don't read Thai forums, but I do have a bunch of Thai "friends" on Facebook. I have been asking my wife to translate shared posts that feature recognizable Thai political figures.

Let's just say I can understand why the current PM is irritable. Now where is that ICT guy with the single gateway!

If I'm to believe facebook posts from the Western World neither the USA nor the UK are democracies any more what with all 'news' about the 'ruling' governments.

As for the single Internet gateway, with the help from the NSA such in no longer necessary for proper 'management'. Personally I think the government likes TVF, having all foreigners together, IP-wise that is.

Edited by rubl

I don't read Thai forums, but I do have a bunch of Thai "friends" on Facebook. I have been asking my wife to translate shared posts that feature recognizable Thai political figures.

Same with me. The wife sometimes shows me stuff that's being posted on Facebook about the cantankerous one and I always remind her not to touch the like "button" as it's pretty heady stuff.

So much for the accusation that the government censors Facebook wink.png

They simply don't understand.coffee1.gif

Are you implying that Thai people are less capable of comprehending the political "workings" of the Power Elite, than the people of your own home country? Hmm? whistling.gif I wait, with great anticipation of a logical answer to that questioncoffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

While the UDD was/is a profoundly hierarchical undemocratic organization it did theoretically support democracy. Many of the Issan people feel that they have lost their voice, or rather a voice that purportedly represented them, in the government.

The Junta needs to bite the bullet: it's time to hold elections and abide by the results.

Oh they will. The whole reason for the coup is to make sure that elections matter less. The previous coup already tried to excersise control over the government by an appointed senate (50%), this lot goes a few steps further, a wholly appointed senate, and the very same senate will receive far reaching powers. Effectively ensuring continued control over how Thailand is run from a select few people, who have never received a mandate to do so.

Democracy "Thai sytle", yes elections, but they don't really matter.

August is going to be an interesting month to say the least.

Edited by sjaak327

If I'm to believe facebook posts from the Western World neither the USA nor the UK are democracies any more what with all 'news' about the 'ruling' governments.

As for the single Internet gateway, with the help from the NSA such in no longer necessary for proper 'management'. Personally I think the government likes TVF, having all foreigners together, IP-wise that is.

"Personally I think the government likes TVF, having all foreigners together, IP-wise that is."

What?

Winnie

^^

Who has been attacked?

About as accurate as accusing you of being a Shin fanboy?

Same with me. The wife sometimes shows me stuff that's being posted on Facebook about the cantankerous one and I always remind her not to touch the like "button" as it's pretty heady stuff.

So much for the accusation that the government censors Facebook wink.png

I don't think they even have the ability to censor Facebook. They do however monitor it, and people have been arrested for sharing or liking Facebook posts, that's no accusation, it's fact.

I live in Korat and teach at a large government university! The people I interface with our very happy with the PM and most

do not want an election anytime soon. They want the government to continue looking for and fighting corruption. They give

the PM and his government a thumbs up! It seems to me, the only people wanting elections are the politicians who want to

continue their corruption and buying their elections. Amazing Thailand.

Yeah so much better now,a real big change,now the corruption money goes to the junta and friends,real big improvement

While the UDD was/is a profoundly hierarchical undemocratic organization it did theoretically support democracy. Many of the Issan people feel that they have lost their voice, or rather a voice that purportedly represented them, in the government.

The Junta needs to bite the bullet: it's time to hold elections and abide by the results.

Oh they will. The whole reason for the coup is to make sure that elections matter less. The previous coup already tried to excersise control over the government by an appointed senate (50%), this lot goes a few steps further, a wholly appointed senate, and the very same senate will receive far reaching powers. Effectively ensuring continued control over how Thailand is run from a select few people, who have never received a mandate to do so.

Would you recommend the Thai people embrace either the UK or US style of "Democracy" instead, as a better alternative?

Edited by TuskegeeBen

^^

Who has been attacked?

About as accurate as accusing you of being a Shin fanboy?

Do you think I am? If so, why?

Honestly, the only difference I've seen is Immigration and Department of Transportation getting their act together (AFTER the brief feeding frenzy of BiB's extorting money from foreigners over that "Do you have your passport?" nonsense.

Would you recommend the Thai people embrace either the UK or US style of "Democracy" instead, as a better alternative?

At least in the US or UK i can click "like" without ending up for AA

I live in Korat and teach at a large government university! The people I interface with our very happy with the PM and most

do not want an election anytime soon. They want the government to continue looking for and fighting corruption. They give

the PM and his government a thumbs up! It seems to me, the only people wanting elections are the politicians who want to

continue their corruption and buying their elections. Amazing Thailand.

Amazing (world-wide) planet of people, would be more precise.coffee1.gif

At least in the US or UK i can click "like" without ending up for AA

You did not answer the question, on sjaak327's part! Plus, what is "AA" (your definition)? Before you venture a reply, please be advised, that I reside in the "real world" of (ahem) Democracy.

Edited by TuskegeeBen