Thai public seek justice for handicapped man killed by policemen's children

webfact

Thai public seek justice for handicapped man killed by policemen's children

tj.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- An online petition to seek justice for the handicapped breadseller killed by a gang of six youths in Bangkok on May first has raised 23,000 signatures.

The petition under the name "Seeking justice - in the case of police children killing handicapped man" will be presented officially to the office of the Prime Minister at ten am today , Monday.

The main aim of the petition is to change the charge that the youths face from one of killing with intent to a charge of premeditated murder reported Daily News

The attack happened in the Chok Chai four area of northern Bangkok. Thirty six year old Somkiat Srichan who had a leg handicapped was attacked with knives in broad daylight. Four of the six attackers, who have all been held, are children of police officers at Chok Chai station. A girl has also been held for egging on the men.

The petition was started by an ordinary member of the public, Chakrakarit Meechai, and originally had a target of 25,000 names. In six days he managed to get the names of 23,000 people on the www.Change.org site.

The case has outraged the Thai public. Police have assured the public that justice will be done but many people are concerned that the charge should be one of premeditation even though police have said they are not sure they have sufficient evidence to make that stick.

Many members of the public who have seen the video clip of the Sunday morning attack think otherwise.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-23

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...police have said they are not sure they have sufficient evidence to make that stick."

It wouldn't matter anyway. If they don't want a conviction, the evidence would be conveniently missing. "Justice" is always open to interpretation.

Edited by jaltsc

The premeditated murder charge won't stick, the cops have basically said they won't allow it to stick. A straight up murder charge (like what they have been given - or has that not happened yet?) is likely to have the best chance to keep these fools in remand jail, and locked up for many years after court. The CCTV footage is there, the lawyer witness was there is too law savvy to be bribed off (as well as having already gone on the record about what he saw).

People are saying the killers will get off. Absolutely delusional. They are on toast, the only thing despicable I expect to happen is for the judge to give unduly lenient sentences due to mitigating factors (first time offence, drunk, self defence yada yada yada). They'll still get years, but not as many as they should

This may not be enough, OR they may sacrifice the 2 participants who don't have cops as fathers. Maybe if there is enough international outrage, something will happen, but seeing that the victim is Thai, that probably won't happen.

Little wonder the govt wants total control of the internet and social media etc as it's becoming more difficult to sweep issues under the carpet.

U could be right NKK stifling debate is the totalitarian way, like China treat everyone like Mushrooms.

I agree, that it would be hard to prove it was premeditated, as you have to prove that they conspired to kill him before the event, and it could have the case thrown out of court on some technicality or lack of evidence.

However with the video evidence and witness statements, should be enough for a charge and convition of willfull murder.

The premeditated murder charge won't stick, the cops have basically said they won't allow it to stick. A straight up murder charge (like what they have been given - or has that not happened yet?) is likely to have the best chance to keep these fools in remand jail, and locked up for many years after court. The CCTV footage is there, the lawyer witness was there is too law savvy to be bribed off (as well as having already gone on the record about what he saw).

People are saying the killers will get off. Absolutely delusional. They are on toast, the only thing despicable I expect to happen is for the judge to give unduly lenient sentences due to mitigating factors (first time offence, drunk, self defence yada yada yada). They'll still get years, but not as many as they should

how long have you been in thailand? one of the following will happen, 1. they will fleeto laos, 2. they will enter the monkhood, 3, the family will be paid off, 4, the witnesses will go missing, that is the thai way for the rich <deleted> who think they run the country!

The people are on to it so that's a start , this case isn't any different any one else , Except those charged are not Burmese , just because they are related to police officers only serves to make it more important that justice is done ,with social media , the future of the RTP is complying with the law, the police charges laid are murder, there isn't much worse than that hanging over your head ,acting on Police evidence the rest of the case now lies with the justice system, how the case is handled now is up to the court, not the police...........................coffee1.gif

What a dumb bunch of idiots!

The premeditated murder charge would not hold up in any civilized court anywhere.

premeditated would suggest brains, which no one of the accused can be accused of having, secondly where is the evidence that they actually planned and prepared for this murder long before it happened? such as purchasing the murder weapon/weapons specifically to murder this particular victim, stalking and surveying the victim and the premises.....having a long time motive for planning the murder, motive being the key term here as opposed to "spur of the idiotic moment egged on by the female nincompoops"....

23.000? That's it? No wonder nothing ever changes here. When I read Thai public I thought they were talking about 100's of 1000's at least. Only 23.000 'stuck their neck out'.......unreal.

I doubt the Thai 'justice' system will be changed by 23.000 signatures. Even when 10's of 1000's marched the streets of BKK nothing changed. It only made the elite more determined and nasty

Good to see this is still in the public spotlight. I hope these thugs get the harshest possible sentence (but I have my doubts)

Now time to do the same with the Benz driver.

And the RED BULL little Scum Bag too.

Made even more amazing by the fact that the red bull victim was himself a policeman !

Self defence , in danger of being run over by a wheelchair.

Drunk, plausable, bad influence made them drink that day or drug.

Possibility of light sentence, highly provable , due to examples from the past, B2 ect ect ect.

Police have assured the public that justice will be done.

Well that would be a first then.

Come on, these upstanding police do nothing but "good work" for their country how can you say such a thing?!? Name 230 cases where they did not do their duty!!!

...oh come now I had to say more than "1" to give them a fair chance didn't I?

People should not get hung up on the specific charges.....rather what ever it takes to put them away for minimum 20 years.

Meantime I doubt if a long prison sentence will stop or help to curb further violence in Thai society which everyone seems to agree is on the rise.

I think it is also a matter of more media exposure than ever before while the police could tell you some stories that would shock us while we never hear of such events while knowing about such events would have you thinking that the Thais are far from a well behaved collective society...as everyone is led to believe.

I used to see black and white magazines on sale at the street stalls and they contained all kinds of gruesome photos of murder and mayhem gathered from all over the country.

When asking the owner of the street stall what this magazine and some other similar magazines seen on display are all about they would reply: They are Crime and Police story magazines.

As I could not read Thai I would ask them what is this story or that story all about and they would tell me how this persons body was found in the ditch along side the road along side the rice fields and how the person had been shot several times....in such and such a province...a long ways away from Bangkok

And how this man was murdered by his wife because he had another woman and how this woman was murdered by her husband and how this neighbor hacked up this person over some small dispute and how these drunken morons on a motorcycle crashed into a truck and that is why you see their body parts splattered all over the place....and gruesome story after story published weekly in such magazines.

That was 30 years ago.

So I surmise it is not any better...rather worse and all the more common now and goes on unabated.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

What a dumb bunch of idiots!

The premeditated murder charge would not hold up in any civilized court anywhere.

premeditated would suggest brains, which no one of the accused can be accused of having, secondly where is the evidence that they actually planned and prepared for this murder long before it happened? such as purchasing the murder weapon/weapons specifically to murder this particular victim, stalking and surveying the victim and the premises.....having a long time motive for planning the murder, motive being the key term here as opposed to "spur of the idiotic moment egged on by the female nincompoops"....

I wonder if it's a plan to get the charges dropped. Think about this:charged with an offense that is not the real crime, found no evidence to that crime, found not guilty and poof!!! Out of jail free... Or is that giving too much credit?

how long have you been in thailand? one of the following will happen, 1. they will fleeto laos, 2. they will enter the monkhood, 3, the family will be paid off, 4, the witnesses will go missing, that is the thai way for the rich <deleted> who think they run the country!

The rich do not THINK they run the country.