Seven people killed, 24 injured when double decker bus crashes in Phetchaburi

webfact

Why all the jumping to conclusions? Tragic road accidents happen in all countries...they're nothing unique to Thailand.

You're right, only Thailand has as many road deaths every week as my country had in the past 4 years

Some real facts and figures would make your statement more credible. Maybe you're from a country like Singapore, with a small population and fewer road-miles driven per population figures. That might fit into your statement but would hardly be relevant to a country of 60+ million people and where road transportation is a primary means of moving both goods and people around the country.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend recently confirmed that my landlord and her 2 sons were killed in that accident. Funny, I had taken the regular Chokanan bus (first class aircon, not VIP) same time but 3 weeks ago. Just a little over 300 baht. The train 2nd class air sleepers were full, as I normally take that.

Our existence is very fragile indeed. Have to keep pushing on though. It's a very popular route and their fleet actually got larger over the last 2 years or so.

edit: The funeral will commence sometime this week, near the new pier.

Edited by 4evermaat

The bus looks like one of those cheap Thai made death traps

Agree, But firstly so sad for the poor victims,

The build quality of most of the buses I have seen here is way below the standard that would be required to withstand any sort of accident,

The bodies consist mostly of fiberglass, aluminum and glass, the builders seem to concentrate their spending on cosmetics, such as airbrushed paintwork, banks of spotlights etc, when they should be designing a strong chassis, and roll cage.

The bus looks like one of those cheap Thai made death traps

Agree, But firstly so sad for the poor victims,

The build quality of most of the buses I have seen here is way below the standard that would be required to withstand any sort of accident,

The bodies consist mostly of fiberglass, aluminum and glass, the builders seem to concentrate their spending on cosmetics, such as airbrushed paintwork, banks of spotlights etc, when they should be designing a strong chassis, and roll cage.

Yes they should definitely be built to Volvo and Benz bus standards as that would surely cut down on road fatalities because they would be prohibitively expensive for operators to buy and hence fares would be out or reach of most Thais so the buses would sit at their terminals empty and unused (but with nobody getting anywhere but they'd be safe).

Everything is a balance...Thailand is still a fairly low-income developing country and Western standards of health and safety are a "luxury good" in economic terms that it can't afford yet.

Of course, here they come!

The "it happens everywhere not only in Thailand" and "if you want things to be like in Europe, stay in Europe" (eg if you don't like it go home!)

Nauseatingly dumb comments, from people, who have no empathy...until sh1t happens to them, I guess!

I was driving towards Bangkok last Monday late afternoon.huge storm.belting down rain.I moved into middle lane slowed down.idiots kept going full tilt in right lane.next thing traffic slows to a crawl.8 car pile up right lane.two km later another one 5 vehicles.later another 4 vehicles.had not rained for some time road would be so greasy.but some do not care.as for bus drivers here.some are in too much of a hurry to get from A to B.Mini Van drivers enough said.rip to all who were killed here

In the UK there are measurable standards for the aggregate used on the roads.

Measurements for wear, polishability, smoothness / roughness etc are all taken before an aggregate is accepted for use on UK's highways.

This allows for maximum longevity and better grip on the roads in varying conditions. The UK's roads are far from perfect (a debate for another time), but I'd hazard a guess that the higher quality of grip prevents numbers accidents.

In Thailand I suspect they use 'any aggregate' which polishes easily and after rain these road surfaces become slick, particularly when it rains after a lengthy dry spell.

Anyone with half a brain knows this and adjusts their driving.

Those driving public transport seem to be unaware of this.

Perhaps the culture of using the guys who are too uneducated or dumb to carry out any other work and have them drive heavy vehicles, trucks, lorries, Busses and Mini-Vans is simply wrong. These guys need specific education... I see a 'clamp down coming'...

Driver education

Driver fatigue

Poor road conditions (slippy surfaces)

Poor road marking

Poor vehicle maintenance (breaks and tyres)

These are issues readily addressed in developed nations, addressing these issue here would potentially save 1000's of lives per year... IF only those in positions of decision making power even cared about this enough to think about it.

Good post. However, Thai roads are reasonably good so I suspect aggregate has nothing to do with this, but poor vehicle maintenance, bad driver habits (or training) are much more likely to be involved (actually I'm about 99.9% sure).

Thought they assessed double decker buses, years back, as dangerous because if passengers sit upstairs causing the Centre Of Gravity to rise,which makes the bus more unstable and it can be tilted at a lesser angle. Therefore, the bus will fall over when the COG acts outside of the bus' base. They had said they would be banned as safe transportation. I guess the Transportation Safety Departments COG is high and unstable as well...

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

Thought they assessed double decker buses, years back, as dangerous because if passengers sit upstairs causing the Centre Of Gravity to rise,which makes the bus more unstable and it can be tilted at a lesser angle. Therefore, the bus will fall over when the COG acts outside of the bus' base. They had said they would be banned as safe transportation. I guess the Transportation Safety Departments COG is high and unstable as well...

Buses over 4m in height are illegal...... but who gives a rats!!

Since these were VIP's sitting in a VIP bus, I suppose they will be given VIP treatment in hospital, and a VIP day in court suing the VIP bus company.

Lets see...

they don't have the slightest idea what the stupid expression VIP means.

the grim local karaoke brothel near my place is a VIP karaoke... coffee1.gif

the best slogan is the Safety First slogan (or the even better Safety Frist slogan, actually seen) cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Edited by Mook23

We all can type until our fingers bleed and nothing will change to the better when it comes to road safety in Thailand... All one can do is to refrain from entering a bus or mini van in Thailand EVER and go by plane, or drive with your own or a rental car instead, and instruct every single person you know (except your personal enemies of course) to do the same...

from OXCART to TURBO INJECTION in 1,5 generations... coffee1.gif

recipe for disaster!

Why all the jumping to conclusions? Tragic road accidents happen in all countries...they're nothing unique to Thailand.

From today's San Francisco Chronicle...http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/California-bus-crash-leaves-dozens-injured-2-7938912.php

Are all the government officials in California incompetent and corrupt too?

What a sad life it must be for a Thai apologist, that defends Thai road accidents. the second worst in the world. Please get a life.

And again, blame it on the rain. Yes, it is raining for the first time in history, so the drivers are not used to wet and possibly slippery roads. Good grief! Get a life!

Hard to get your head around moronic statements like that - but they keep producing them