500KM Yamaha MT-09 Review

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Lots of "life crap" going on has prevented me from doing much touring on the MT-09, but I finally did get to do a bit this past week - Chiang Mai to Hot to Mae Sariang to Khun Yuam to Mae Hong Son to Pai to Chiang Mai. Almost cancelled, with the death of the king. But arrangements had already been made, so we went anyway. Just a road trip, and not a party trip. It's not like there were any bars open or anything. Odd that even all the gas stations were closed in the evenings in Mae Sariang when we went through there.

The wife was quite comfy on the back of the bike the whole way. She has made it clear that she greatly prefers the back of the MT-09 over the back of the Ninja 650. Of course we took lots of pretty pics, but won't post any here.

No real complaints about the MT-09, other than the suspension, and the front forks especially. The twisty mountain roads up there really put it to the test, and the forks especially are clearly lacking. Interesting as well that while I can drag my boot on the road in left hand turns, right hand turns seem more wallowy. Which is to say that the kinds of complaints I have about the forks seem to vary depending on whether one is leaning left, or right. Like each fork leg is very independent of the other in the way it performs, and they each behave in different ways.

Complaints about the suspension on the bike are common in road tests and etc., so no news here. Only that I finally got to experience it first hand, which hadn't happened on the city streets around Chiang Mai. The extreme and immediate lefts, rights, ups, downs, and occasional pothole/road work/pickup coming straight at me in my lane were all quite telling.

Of course I can and will look at fz09.org for recommendations concerning correction of fork problems. If any readers here also have thoughts or comments on correcting suspension problems, I would love to hear them.

The cops encountered up there all seemed to like the bike, btw. None of them had anything to say about whether the exhaust was too loud or anything such as that. :smile:

Edited by RedQualia

On the new MT-09's and new FJ-09's (Thailand/USA name) a.k.a. MT-09 Tracer (rest of the world name), how snatchy is the throttle.

I have read lots of complaints about this (possibly 2015 bikes) and I have also read that Yamaha have addressed this problem.

I would need to get some reassurance on this before purchasing. Perhaps the best way is to rent one for a couple of days.

1 minute ago, saluandnai said:

for a start, the mt-09 is known as the fz-09 here in Thailand, I have an early model n no throttle problems at all, if your concerned go take a test ride of one

Thanks for the feedback on the throttle.

According to the Yamaha Thailand website and the Pattaya Yamaha dealer, the MT-09 is known as the MT-09 here and the MT-09 Tracer is known as the FJ-09 here so I am not sure why you think it is called the FZ-09. Perhaps that was in the past.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/RidersClub/

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

According to the Yamaha Thailand website and the Pattaya Yamaha dealer, the MT-09 is known as the MT-09 here and the MT-09 Tracer is known as the FJ-09 here so I am not sure why you think it is called the FZ-09. Perhaps that was in the past.

Ya... Yamaha blew it on nomenclature. Best not to get too bogged down on the name. Salaundnai's bike does say FZ-09 on the side. That's why he thinks it's called that. My newer one does say MT-09 on the side, and so that's why I think it's called that.Plenty of references for "MT-09 Tracer Thailand" will turn up if you search for that, and the idea that they're now calling the MT-09 Tracer and FJ09 is a new one on me, but that's what the Yamaha site refers to it as. I'm sure they'll come up with more names for the same bike in the future...

I will disagree slightly with Salaundnai on the throttle snatichness and say that in A mode, the throttle can respond quite quickly, Hitting a small pothole can be enough to turn my throttle hand a bit, causing the bike to lurch slightly. Mostly not noticeable or a problem, except by my wife's butt, who will start to hit me in the side if she thinks I might be driving recklessly or in a way to make her uncomfortable. Less noticeable in STD mode, and I don't think I've had that come up at all in the lower powered B mode.

Next question: is that quick throttle response a feature or a bug? Maybe describing it as "snatchy" depends on how many years you've been riding...

On ‎29‎/‎7‎/‎2559 at 5:23 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

In Pattaya they often have police check points and anybody riding non original exhaust can expect to pay 1000 baht each time, so I keep standard exhaust on my bike forever.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2559 at 1:13 PM, saluandnai said:

loud is safe

been out for a few rides now n am impressed with the improvements in the  comfort of the new seat, ya never know until you've tried it out a few times ! 

RedQualia, the front suspension can be adjusted out to suit. I am quite a heavy guy and i found adjusting the pre-load and rebound made the front handle just right. I adjusted the standard rear shock to suit me but with my gf (who is only tiny) on the back it became unstable again so bit the bullet and brought an Ohlins rear shock. Granted it was not cheap but now the bike handles very well and can be easily adjusted on the rear to suit various pillion sizes.

I agree with you that only in A mode the throttle can respond very quickly, so it takes some getting used to. I am trying to keep the bike in A mode all the time to get used to the throttle response throughout a range of riding styles and road surfaces. So far so good and just love shocking the big sports bike guys when i leave them behind at the lights...Of course they finally catch me and pass but i have had my fun till that point.

Enjoy the MT she is a riot to ride

• 1 month later...

@RedQualia - you mentioned different turn-in feeling relating to front forks ... if it's still an issue, have you checked to make sure that the pre-load is identical on each fork? The rebound damping is only RH fork so that could also generate a difference in feel. There's not much you can do with the stock front (at least on a budget) other than put in stiffer springs and heavier fork oil. The stock 09 fork springs in the 2015 models were pretty soft and I don't know if they changed in later models. I put in 20% stiffer Ohlins springs and some heavier fork oil. Worked for me as a 95KG solo rider. Changing the rear shock for a basic Ohlins also made a big difference. (As an aside I know a guy here with a 2015 09 who kept rear shock but just swapped the spring for a HyperPro progressive one; he says it made all the difference and he's quite an experienced Italian rider so ...)

Throttle - it is snatchy in A thanks to it being Fly By Wire not a cable. The original 2015 bikes were pretty hard to ride smoothly in A at lower RPM. A factory issued re-flash ironed a lot of that out. I then had my ECU re-flashed so the bike default starts in A mode (amongst other things) and frankly I'd be happy if the bike only had one mode. A.

On 12/16/2016 at 6:58 AM, BKKBike09 said:

Throttle - it is snatchy in A thanks to it being Fly By Wire not a cable. The original 2015 bikes were pretty hard to ride smoothly in A at lower RPM. A factory issued re-flash ironed a lot of that out. I then had my ECU re-flashed so the bike default starts in A mode (amongst other things) and frankly I'd be happy if the bike only had one mode. A.

BKKBike09, I am interested to know where you had your ECU done. After fitting the Akro Carbon exhaust (db Killer still in). I adjust the CO setting using the bikes diagnostics but i still have some popping from the exhaust. I was going to purchase a power commander too but that had to wait due to work. I am now able to order but wouldn't know where to take it to get everything set up.

Edited by Holmsedale25

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2559 at 10:27 AM, Briggsy said:

cos when I bought it in pattaya all the docs said fz 09

Just back from another road trip. Route taken was Chiang Mai - Lampang - Uttaradit - Nakhon Thai - Loei, where I stopped for one night. Next day was east almost to Nong Bua Lamphu, then north to Ban Pheu on a back road, over to Ban Nam Som, and finally out to visit "the blue temple" -- Wat Pa Phu Kon (http://www.udonthaniattractions.com/wat-pa-phu-kon.html , Down to Udon Thani City after that for two nights. Next to Khon Kaen and Chaiyaphum, down to Korat, and then three nights in Khao Yai. Onward from there to Bangkok for five nights, where my wife joined me. We went west after that to Sangkhlaburi and Three Pagoda Pass for one night, then back to Kanchanaburi for two nights. Attempted to do "the most westward route north" along the Myanmar border from there. Alas, it was not all that westward. There just are no roads along the border from Three Pagoda Pass to Mae Sot, or at least, none clearly shown on a map. So back roads, off the beaten path, through Ban Rai, Mae Wong and etc., to Kamphaeng Phet, and then up the highway the next day to home.

I had the ECU reflashed/replaced by AP Racing in Bangkok while there, at a cost of 9,000 Baht. They'll do dyno testing and a lot more for ya, for 15,000 Baht, but I had trouble justifying the extra expense so let it go with the ECU. I can't say what benefits were gained by this just yet... Since my wife was with me all the way after ECU reflash, I haven't really been able to test things (she doesn't much care for speeds above 120, or maybe 80-90 on twisty roads). I can say at least that there's more "snatchiness" to the bike now.. More "instantaneous power," I suppose, and in both A and B mode. It boots in A mode now. Personally, I'd prefer it boot in B mode... I'd rather it default to the "less power" mode, but with full power available when wanted. Your preference may be otherwise, of course... I can also say that there is still some crackling from the exhaust on deceleration, and that power delivery is "less than smooth" from about 2,800 - 4,000 RPM. I've read that more air is injected into the exhaust on deceleration from about 4,200 RPM, and think this may have something to do with it. That is, I think the crackling/popping is coming from fuel being burnt inside the exhaust system, and it's simply more audible with the slip-on I have. Maybe.

I chose AP Racing's ECU reflash because it's not terribly expensive - not out of line with what's being charged by others internationally, and because they're based in Thailand. I didn't want to mess with waiting for my ECU to return from one or another foreign country (if it actually did return), nor did I want to argue with customs about any import duties owed on something I already owned. AP Racing seems a nice, professional shop. Their MT-09 performance packages are described here: http://www.apshop-racing.com/product_desc.php?pid=661. There's a dyno chart on that page. Based on that and conversations, I'm guessing my bike now has around 125HP and 88-89 ft. lbs. of torque. Modest improvements at most, in any case. The speed limiter has also now been removed, allegedly. I mean, I haven't had time or road to test that idea yet. There are very, very few instances where I need to exceed 215KPH, but I was nonetheless annoyed that I could not exceed that limit. Just didn't seem right. Based on things I read on the internet, at least, it appears the top speed of the bike could now be anywhere from 240-260KPH or so at this point. I imagine that the 0-100KPH time might also be slightly improved, down from the stock 2.7 seconds to maybe 2.6 or 2.5. I dunno how to measure that while doing that, so only guessing. I've also seen drag reports slips indicating that in the right hands, the bike could now maybe do the quarter mile in 10.5 seconds at 132MPH or so. I dunno. I'm not a drag racer... My personal quarter mile times would probably be quite bad. The guy reporting the 10.5 second time probably isn't a professional racer either. Anyway, none of these numbers are from personal experience. Just stuff read on the internet, repeated here to give others an idea of whether reflashing the ECU is something they think would be worth doing or not.

Note that ECU reflash was the only thing I had done by AP Racing... No pair valve removal, for example, no O2 sensor removal, and etc. Those kinds of things might be appropriate on a race bike, but do not add any power at all. I still have the stock muffler sitting on a shelf. I can reinstall it someday if necessary, and want the bike to pass all tests if and when Thailand decides to start enforcing things. I am considering opening up the air cleaner a bit... Perhaps taking a door knob drill bit to the cover or some such, as I did with my Ducati some years back. But it's only a thought at this time... I haven't begun to investigate it for the MT-09 yet, and I may or may not get around to it.

In all, the trip was 3,290KM. I continue to be negatively impressed by the fork suspension. As BKKBike09 notes above, and as I've noted before, each fork leg functions differently, and so it's easy for me to suspect they're not working together as well as they might. I will turn my attention to the front suspension next, I suppose, but won't be able to do anything about it for a few months (a tooth wants a new crown). I am less worried about the rear suspension just now... I mean, it's a single shock, and I can always muddle through by jacking up the preload, etc., and living with the results. But I don't much care for the twitchiness of the front end when hitting potholes and etc., while leaning at much of an angle on country roads. I also noticed a time or two that it would be really nice to have more brake. More stopping power. Not sure how important that is, nor what to do about it if anything.

A final comment concerning exhaust noise: shooting the breeze with a bunch of cops at a check point west of Kamphaeng Phet in the dark the other night. I think mostly a bunch of good ol' country boys and maybe gear heads, too. They asked me to rev the engine a few times for them. I looked around and saw they were all smiles, so went ahead. Not TOO high... Maybe 4-5,000 RPM. 6,000 at most. They were all big smiles and thumbs up. I can't say for sure, but suspect at least a few of them enjoy riding in the country west of Kamphaeng Phet with open exhaust pipes. A fellow I met in Lampang may offer at least partial confirmation... He was on a Royal Enfield thumper, and had completely open exhaust. Sounded horrible to me! I can't imagine riding from Bangkok north and listening to that all the way. But that's my personal problem, and not his. Thing is, he was a cop from Mae Hong Son, and had his police jacket draped over the back of the bike with the word POLICE in big letters clearly visible to any who might be behind him. I'm sure he loves riding the mountain roads around Mae Hong Son with that open exhaust. :smile:

In fact, no cops anywhere at any checkpoints or cop shacks at which I stopped  complained about the loudness of my exhaust at all. They were all interested in the bike, thought it looked great, and sounded fine to excellent.

Edited by RedQualia

On 5/25/2016 at 9:25 PM, BKKBike09 said:

Good review - this was mine after a year http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/824462-yamaha-fz09-one-year-on/

IMO the MT-09 is a pretty good deal, in the general scheme of things in Thailand, at THB 399,000, particularly now it also has ABS. I wish they'd launched it at that price!

Warranty? maitrance?

I try last month in taste drive. An I guess for beginner more easy use monster 821. And even cost be cheaper. And how much price on seconed hand Marc let can be sell?.. piano no best of choice in Thailand!!

Nice report, but i doubt a 900cc Yamaha triple is making "88-89" lbs ft of torque. I have no problem with your hp figures, but that is huge torque for that bike. More than a 1050 Speed Triple which is well known as a straight curve hi-torque graph bike...

10 hours ago, ardokano said:

Warranty? maitrance?

I try last month in taste drive. An I guess for beginner more easy use monster 821. And even cost be cheaper. And how much price on seconed hand Marc let can be sell?.. piano no best of choice in Thailand!!

If you really are a beginner, you have no business buying either an MT-09 or a Monster 821. It's not necessarily that the bikes have too much power, but that the power they have can often be difficult to control.

That said, the Monster 821 costs 80,900 more than the MT-09 according to the Ducati website. Based on the comments of Ducati owners here in Thailand, maintenance will also generally be more expensive.

http://www.ducatithailand.com/bikes/pricelist.do

Edited by RedQualia

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Nice report, but i doubt a 900cc Yamaha triple is making "88-89" lbs ft of torque. I have no problem with your hp figures, but that is huge torque for that bike. More than a 1050 Speed Triple which is well known as a straight curve hi-torque graph bike...

You are correct. I sometimes get my "N m" and my "ft.lbs." confused. Copied from the wiki page, stock figures for the MT-09's torque are 88 N m (65 ft.lbs.) at 8,500 RPM, and 82 N m (60.5 ft.lbs) at 8,360 RPM at the rear wheel. Quite a bit more than an 883 Sportster, but not as much as the 1050.

26 minutes ago, RedQualia said:

If you really are a beginner, you have no business buying either an MT-09 or a Monster 821. It's not necessarily that the bikes have too much power, but that the power they have can often be difficult to control.

That said, the Monster 821 costs 90,900 more than the MT-09 according to the Ducati website. Based on the comments of Ducati owners here in Thailand, maintenance will also generally be more expensive.

http://www.ducatithailand.com/bikes/pricelist.do

I am really beginner and start with diavel and be find. Know many guys start with 800cc and up. So no coment..

796  have some call best friendly  for beginner and good for girls start learn.

cost it's not price!!

maintenance on Ducati first two year free.

So cost for me..

buy + maintenance - sale price..

in second hand market Ducati monster  not lost as another bike..

and I look kawa or piano when I see the little things, such as the pegs etc it's look cheap so  want change.. 

and even you change exhaust .

in 821 in stock it's fine. 

So if beginner and want near 400k for city bike.. 821 it's  smart deal in Thailand.

if want some a phrase do your custom bike for less money and 800cc it's. Z800. So many choice parts for upgrade and  can find  different price and available no need  waiting for the order..

Edited by ardokano

On 20/12/2016 at 0:39 PM, Holmsedale25 said:

BKKBike09, I am interested to know where you had your ECU done. After fitting the Akro Carbon exhaust (db Killer still in). I adjust the CO setting using the bikes diagnostics but i still have some popping from the exhaust. I was going to purchase a power commander too but that had to wait due to work. I am now able to order but wouldn't know where to take it to get everything set up.

Sorry for the delayed response. I sent it to a guy in the US (Google vcyclenut), if only because a couple of years back there wasn't anywhere to get it re-flashed in Thailand. His flash is US$ 200 though of course shipping adds to that (and anything that comes back via a courier like DHL will get hit with customs duties etc - USPS however, in my experience, almost always comes through without attracting any customs attention).

On the popping - you could try pulling off the air injection system and installing block off plates. Not expensive, and pretty simple to do. I'd suggest considering this before going to the time and expense of a) buying/installing a PC and then B) trying to find a good Dyno outfit to make the maps.

On 02/01/2017 at 10:13 AM, ardokano said:

I am really beginner and start with diavel and be find. Know many guys start with 800cc and up. So no coment..

cost it's not price!!

So cost for me..

and I look kawa or piano when I see the little things, such as the pegs etc it's look cheap so  want change.. 

So if beginner and want near 400k for city bike.. 821 it's  smart deal in Thailand.

if want some a phrase do your custom bike for less money and 800cc it's. Z800. So many choice parts for upgrade and  can find  different price and available no need  waiting for the order..

Ducati make fine-looking bikes, that's for sure. I see at the moment there's a promotion of 25,000 discount for the Monster, plus the 2-years maintenance free, so that makes it 454,000 compared to the MT-09 now at 409,000. You're probably right about re-sale value too. The 2-year free maintenance is good to have but does it include all parts? Unless you ride the bike a lot, then 'maintenance' for 2 years is likely to be only fluid and filter changes (although I'm sure they're really expensive anyway at Ducati!). However parts for MT-09 are also expensive as they're mostly imported.

You mention 'city bike' so are you looking for something mainly to ride around BKK? If that's the case, maybe also check out Street Triple R (or CB650F). I will say though that the MT-09 is a good city bike. Upright riding position, narrow, fairly light (190kg vs 220 odd for the Z800) and it also has some space under the seat (where I keep a cable helmet lock). Don't know about the Monster, but if it's like the Hypermotard then you can forget putting anything under the seat.

3 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

The 2-year free maintenance is good to have but does it include all parts? Unless you ride the bike a lot, then 'maintenance' for 2 years is likely to be only fluid and filter changes (although I'm sure they're really expensive anyway at Ducati!). However parts for MT-09 are also expensive as they're mostly imported.

The "worry free" promotion includes everything. Oil, filter, valve clearance etc. I got the promo for 4 years or 30k kilometers which includes the 24k km "big service" for the Scrambler (takes 2 days) which is coming up soon for me (currently 22k km). I haven't paid a single bath so far. The oil filters are cheap (couple hundret bath, don't remember exactly) unless you are talking Panigale which has a different more expensive one. At least the Monster and Hyper have the cheap one I think.

BTW it would be unwise to buy a (new) Z800 now. The model was discontinued in favor of the Z900. It's lacking ABS and is overweight. Resale value will likely go down a lot.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:13 AM, ardokano said:

The 796 certainly seemed underpowered when I rode one, so aside from the Ducati 400, that would seem the closest one might come in the current Ducati line to a beginner's bike.

What's a beginner's bike? Motorcycle magazines often appear to be paid to constantly push up the size of what one should consider a beginner's bike. They are quite likely to say that the CBR650 would be a fine beginner's bike. The Z800 would be a fine beginner's bike, and etc. I'm sure they'd be happy to tell everyone that the Diavel would be a fine beginner's bike.

The EU has now defined what the different beginner's bikes might actually be like. After completing "Compulsory Basic Training" for bikes, 16 year olds can apply for am "AM" moped license. 17 year olds can apply for an "A1" license, which allows them to ride motorbikes up to 125cc and to carry a passenger. Those age 19 or older can apply for an "A2" license. This allows the riders to ride anything up to 35KW (46.6HP), which means that a Yamaha MT-03 would be permitted, as would an older Triumph 650 Bonneville, but at 49HP, one of the newer Honda 500 twins would not be allowed. Riders over age 21 can get a category A unrestricted license in a few different ways... Either by having an A2 license for two years, or by being at least age 24, completing the Compulsory Basic Training, and then passing both theory and practical tests. Those with A2 and A licenses do not have to display "L plates" front and rear. Others are typically required to display such plates to notify other drivers around them that they are learners.

But of course, this is Thailand, and not the EU. There is no shortage of guys here who feel the need to report that their testicles are among the biggest in the world. There is also no shortage of other drivers on Thai roads who behave as if they literally do not care whether you live or die. The roads are full of people who think nothing of crossing a solid double yellow line on a curve over a bridge, to pass that Toyota Yaris that is passing a pickup truck that is passing a motorcycle that is dealing with a pickup coming at him the wrong way on the side of the road, oncoming traffic be damned (they'll get out of the way, if they want to live). And I've seen exactly that kind of situation occur many times. Indeed, I've been involved in a few like that. Thailand is also perpetually among the top 4-5 countries in the world when it comes to traffic fatalities. I think I've read that 75-80% of the fatalities are people on motorbikes and motorcycles.

These things said, can a beginning rider start out on a Monster 821 or Diavel whatever? I'm sure at least several have, and that those who are not dead happily, proudly and continually report that they are still alive. Until they're not. And of course, no negative reports from the dead ones, so must not be anything to worry about, yes? And people shouldn't have to wear helmets, either. How annoying...

If you do buy a big Ducati or Z800 or Diavel or whatever, I wish you the very best of luck. But I cannot personally recommend such a bike to a beginner, and especially here in Thailand.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/ie/products/licences/index.aspx

Edited by RedQualia

On 1/2/2017 at 10:13 AM, ardokano said:

cost it's not price!!

So cost for me..

I greatly loved the Ducati I had back in the states, and was a loyal Ducati owner for several years. Nothing better, in my opinion. At that time, and that place, anyway. But times and places change, and both Ducati and I have changed. How has Ducati changed? To start with, they no longer make many of the kinds of bikes they were making 10, 15, 20 years ago. There are no more 916's, 998's, 999's, nor even 750SS's or 900SS's. Too, they no longer seem interested in winning any races. They instead appear most interested in producing "consumer motorcycles." Fashion statements, maybe, that appeal more to the masses. Of course they do still make the Palingales, but those suckers are hella expensive here in Thailand. I can't (or won't) afford one of those! An 858 streetfighter is kind of appealing to me, but those were running 550,000 Baht here, and either they're no longer making them, or no longer importing them. The Monster whatevers don't really appeal to me so much. That is, they do not seem particularly like they're Ducatis, IMO. The Scrambler seems even less of what I consider a Ducati should be. It's like many/most of the bikes designed by Ducati these days are designed by committee... Bean counters, maybe. All plasticky. I've read that in the absence of any real racing effort, engine construction has become a bit more... What? Odd, maybe? Or perhaps more "traditional old Italian?" No concern over widely varying bolt sizes was one criticism I recall. Regardless, and again, in my opinion, Ducati Corporation, and its goals, have changed quite a bit since I was riding Ducatis.

But secondly, there is the matter of geography, taxes, the ability to find proper maintenance, and all that. Ducati shops first came to Thailand maybe 4-5 years ago. There were no Ducati shops here prior to that time. Though I greatly wanted a Ducati back when I first came here to stay, my concern was who I could find that could actually, and reliably, work on Desmodromic valve trains. I just wasn't inclined to allow any ol' Somchai to take a wrench to such a bike. All seemed quite problematic to me, but not only for Ducati... The same problem exists for Benelli, for example. Back in the states, I was also quite fond of Suzukis, and had several. But Suzuki literally left Thailand several years ago. There was no one here selling or supporting even their little motorbikes that they'd sold so many of in previous years, and my wife's Suzuki Smash was damned hard to start. That turns out to be a common problem here in Thailand... There is remarkably little support for the old Tiger motorcycles these days, either in terms of parts or service, and the little motorbike shops don't usually know how to work on them. Sym and Keeway motorbike/scooter support appears to be going the same way at present. It's getting more and more difficult to find parts and service for those things. A bit surprised that Lifan is still around... Two bonus points for them, I guess. Suzuki is back in Thailand now. What's it been... Two years since they returned, maybe? At most. Honda "big bikes" are here now too, of course. They've also been here only maybe 4-5 years. I recall well when the CBR250 was first introduced, and all the Thai people started going "Ohh!!! Ahh!!!"

Back in the states and Europe, there are typically plenty of Ducati shops everywhere. Harley and maybe Triumph, as well. But Thailand isn't the states, and it isn't Europe. Whole brands, from small to popular, can be here one day and completely gone the next, whether Tiger or Lifan or Suzuki or Sym or Keeway or (presumably) Benelli. And suddenly, owners of such bikes may as well be owning an Edsel... Looking for parts from other countries on eBay.

Maybe Ducati will stay in Thailand. They appear to be meeting with some success. And yet, finding negative reports on Ducati service and high cost and expensive things somehow not covered under warranty is no problem at all, offers of two years of free maintenance aside.

Now, I did look at Ducatis here... And rode both a Scrambler and a Hypermotard. Neither of those appealed to me at all. The Scrambler seemed relatively underpowered to me, and I didn't much care for the riding position. The power delivery from the (second hand) Hypermotard seemed relatively untractable to me. Difficult to manage.

So, given the apparent changes in the goals of Ducati management, that the Ducatis I actually rode here were unappealing to me, along with concerns over maintenance here in Thailand, and too, how long Ducati might remain in Thailand, it was easy for me to rule them out. That's my assessment, personally, as a long time Ducati owner and fan, now living in Thailand. If you are a current Ducati fan, then I completely understand! Only, I just can't go there with you at this time and place in the world...

So what's left? Not Suzuki! I'm not buying a bike I love that completely left Thailand for several years, and that has only been back for maybe two! Nope! Not me. You do that. Let me know how it goes.

Kawasaki? That's probably my favorite motorcycle brand here in Thailand. Kawasaki big bikes have been here longer than any of the other big bikes. In fact, they mostly only sell real motorcycles. I can't recall ever seeing a Kawasaki scooter nor motorbike kind of thing. They appear to have one of the largest and most established dealer/service networks, available pretty much everywhere in Thailand. And I rode a 650 Ninja for several years here. Loved it. But time for an upgrade... Most of the bigger Kawasakis are simply too expensive for me. The Z800 might be viable, but it's almost 100 pounds overweight. A real fat boy, at whatever the price. Too... What's up with Kawasaki 650 owners "upgrading" to a Z800, only to turn around and sell the Z800 a short time later while keeping the 650? Something isn't right there. Time to look at other options...

Triumph? My first ever motorcycle! Warm spot in the heart... Well, there's a dealership in Chiang Mai, and another in Bangkok, and another in Phuket. And that was it, at the time I was looking. I read that there was once another somewhere (Lopburi?) but that it closed... Too, the new Triumphs just aren't like the old ones. Think I'll keep looking.

Royal Enfield!!! Gosh, I love old British iron. Sure wish there was a Norton dealership or five in Thailand. Or even any new Nortons to buy, for that matter. There's none of that. But there IS a Royal Enfield dealership at long last! Not much power, but what character! Alas, there is one Royal Enfield dealer, in Bangkok, maybe 1-2 years old. I live in Chiang Mai and have a habit of riding everywhere in the country. So once again -- pass.

Benelli? Get outta here...

Harley? Possibly, but then I haven't been a Harley kinda guy for a few decades, at least.

BMW? Grossly overrated, IMO. Expensive, generally, with their auto dealerships pressed into service as motorcycle service centers as well. Order parts from Europe and wait six months? And then hope they're the right parts???

Honda? Another bike designed by a bunch of MBA bean counter types, it appears, and again, they've only had a big bike presence in Thailand for 4-5 years. But they are Honda, after all... Might work, truly. Wonder why no Honda salesperson ever came to talk to me when I went into any Honda dealerships. I mean, never... Not once... I think I'll keep looking for other options once more...

So what's left? Yamaha. Which isn't a particularly bad choice... They've been selling big bikes in Thailand for quite a while. Sometimes a bit iffy on availability, but they've been here probably second only to Kawasaki. So what do they have? An SR400 for 279,000. An MT-07 for 299,000. An MT-09 for 399,000. An MT-09 Tracer thing for 479,000. And various versions of the Bolt, for I think 435,000 and up.

And that's how I arrived at the MT-09. It's a comfortable bike, really, and plenty of power. Great gobs of it for Thai roads, actually. I remain unconvinced as to whether it's a particularly good looking bike. Sometimes I think yes. Sometimes no. A really detest the fake air ducts on the sides of the fuel tank. They serve no purpose at all. That might be my biggest complaint on styling. The newly redesigned MT-09 with that litter hanging off the swingarm is even worse, IMO. Yamaha is now apparently selling the XSR900 here in Thailand. That's essentially an MT-09 with a different fuel tank and seat. Same engine and frame. More conservative and traditional, I guess. I might be willing to pay an extra 26,000 Baht for the better looking XSR900 over my current MT-09. I would certainly buy the XSR900 instead of the redesigned MT-09! Hands down. I mean, it's only my opinion, but the MT-09 I have is iffy in terms of looks, and the redesigned MT-09 is butt ugly compared to the XSR900. Wonder if I could get an XSR900 fuel tank for my MT-09. Hmm...

In any case, that's all how I arrived at deciding to buy an MT-09 instead of any of the other things available here.

If I've offended anyone, or slighted someone else's favorite brand, I apologize. I assure you offense was in no way my intention. Ya'll be gonna buy whatever the heck you want to buy, using logic at least somewhat similar to my own. That is, you'll assess where you're going to get the best bang for your buck, either short term or long term, and get whatever you want. I am merely reporting how I arrived at deciding to buy an MT-09.

Footnote: I am generally unimpressed with the Yamaha sales and service I've dealt with thus far. There was no reason for them to hold on to my green book and plate for four <deleted>' months, other than the fact that they're run by Thais and do whatever "in the Thai way." I might go to them for oil changes, and so perhaps for warranty work. But anything serious or outside warranty -- I would probably go to Piston Shop in Chiang Mai instead. Even so... I do have an expectation of being able to find at least somewhat reliable Yamaha service in most of the provinces of Thailand.

Edited by RedQualia