Yamaha FZ09: One year on ...

good read. thanks.

Price / dealer support and lack of ABS is a deal killer for me. Why doesnt yamaha lift their game and have a better presence in Thailand other than the scooters? Big bikes are a growing market!

Excellent one year round-up! Thanks a lot.

I am really interested in the MT-09 Tracer but have two concerns that you might be able to shed some light on:

1. Vibrations, are there any noticeable/annoying vibrations and in what rev range?

2. Heat, sure a big engine heats up but is it uncomfortably hot? Where do you feel the heat?

Also if you could tell us the service intervals and costs, would be helpful.

^

1. Vibration - I've not noticed any through the bars or pegs in any gear or particular segment of the rev range. I cruise quite happily at 120-130 kmh in 5th or 6th gear at around 5-6,000 rpm. Faster than that and the lack of wind protection gets tiring. The Tracer should be much better for cruising thanks to the fairing.

2. Heat - it's not uncomfortably hot. It gets hot, sure, but what is 'hot' anyway? It's all very subjective. What seems reasonable to me may seem very different to someone else. Like I say it's not overheated so I guess that counts for something.

Servicing at a dealer always seems expensive to me - THB 1500 or so I think it was for the 1,000 km oil change, because they charge an arm and a leg for the oil. A lot cheaper to do it yourself but of course that might give rise to warranty issues. How good the Yamaha mechanics are I don't know i.e. do they always torque to spec etc?

Great report!

It's still baffling Yamaha doesn't offer an upgraded version of this bike with good suspension etc. If these can be fitted aftermarket, it would be that much cheaper and easier for them to do it upfront...

• Like 2

I suspect Yamaha may address the suspension at some point but - pure guess here - only to put stiffer springs in the forks (8.5-9.0 N/mm up from stock 7.5) and maybe soften the damping on the shock.

It cost me about THB 30,000 to swap the shock and the springs/fork oil, and it's made a huge difference to handling in corners and on poor surfaces. That's the cheapest and most basic upgrade (i.e. no re-valving; shock only has preload+rebound), especially as far as the forks are concerned. I'd recommend this without reservation but would be less inclined to advise swapping the fork cartridges and putting on a fully adjustable shock unless the bike is primarily going to be used on the track.

They did change the suspension to make it a bit stiffer but from what you can read around the net, it's not perfect yet.

BTW BKKBike09, can you comment on load changes (if that's the right word, I mean when going from engine breaking to accelleration and vice versa)? I've read they can be a bit annoying.

I gotta get a test ride somewhere! :)

^ I wasn't aware that the 2015 FZ09 had any suspension changes at all. Maybe worth double checking. This article says not:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2015-yamaha-fz-09-new-improved-fuel-injection.html

This article also talks about the ECU changes for the 2015 bike (which I had flashed onto mine by Yamaha here). The original fuelling was quite prone to on/off transitions at low RPM. To be fair to Yamaha I think some of that was to do with having to meet emissions standards. Fuelling on the 2015 bike is much better. That said I used to ride in A Mode all the time before I had the flash if only because it was a lot of fun and cool.png it taught respect for the throttle inputs.

Back on the suspension. I just found this vid which, together with the comments, puts across the other point of view - that the talk about terrible suspension is overdone and that there are people who are quite happy riding with stock.

The guy's comment is a good one:

"I've had a 2004 R6 that I bought brand new in 04' and put over 45k on that bike in 3 years, and then had a ex-AMA 190HP Suzuki GSXR 1000 Superbike bought from an AMA team in CA that was not street legal and only used for track days. I live 45 minutes from VIR and less than 2 hours from Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. So we did a lot of track riding. But honestly, the FZ-09 is the most fun bike I've ever owned. My FZ is far from stock but even in stock trim I think its one of the most exciting bikes released from Japan in the past 5 years. The triple cylinder motor is badass with massive torque and it handles like its on rails. You can watch any of my ride videos on my channel to see how capable the stock suspension is. Its not nearly as bad as the internet makes it seem. Half the guys complaining can't ride the bike hard enough to even know the difference."

Get that test ride in!

Nice summary and I like the changes you have made thumbsup.gif

I have covered about 7000 km on my MT since buying it last October (in Singapore).

Rear shock is Maxton NR4 - transformed the bike and shows up the front end now. Saying that, I don't go over 100kph, the law here is 90kph and I am already 50% of the way to losing my driving license.

Exhaust is full Akra and sounds great.

No other mods other than GBRacing engine case covers.

I had the remapping done free at the dealer. It would have been better if the new map was only to the STD mode, I like to use A mode but its quite annoying when making a flying start as I have noticed a great dollop of power coming in at 4000 rpm where as before power was instant.

The new map has made STD mode 100% better though, but I do miss the madness off the throttle at a stand still in A mode.

I ride the bike every day, rain or shine. Great bike for town, small and powerful. Riding position suits town also (unlike a sports bike).

Cheerssmile.png

• Like 1

Thanks. If I lived in Singapore i'd have to limit myself to a Honda C90 because of the speed limit enforcement. Luckily here that's not an issue. In fact, we're actually done a favour by being denied access to the tollways because that's where most of the speed traps are whistling.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the yellow FZ09 at Yamaha Ratchada yesterday. I like it (though not the FZ09 graphic on the fake air scoop).

2015 models also have a yellow spring for the shock presumably for that Ohlins lookalike factor.

post-212467-0-91359300-1432446985_thumb.

post-212467-0-16197400-1432446996_thumb.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have a 2015, blazing orange MT-09. ive put about 3500 very hard km's on it and not had any issue with suspension. If you are fat >90kg you will have issues, under that its ok. it shudders a little if you brake hard into a corner or trail brake (which is how I'm used to rinding my MT-01)

Its a fun bike. if you have the ecu flashed by Ben in Sydney ($250) he sets the startup mode to always be A mode, removes the ADR throttle issues and removes the limiter in 5th and 6th. a stock bike will reach then reach 245km/h if you have enough road, but generally it only fetched 190-220, because 220 to 245 is difficuly, you dont have much left in her then.

Any riders here near Bangsaen area?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...