Cabbie nabbed for allegedly assaulting and robbing a tourist

webfact

Cabbie nabbed for allegedly assaulting and robbing a tourist

59-05-23-1-1-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver was arrested in Bangkok on Monday for allegedly assaulting and robbing a Turkish female tourist in Prachin Buri’s Kabin Buri district on May 18.

The cabbie, Mr Watchara Thanoi, was nabbed at his lodging in Paholyothin Soi 48 in Bangkhen district together with a laptop and a passport belonging to the victim.

According to police, the tourist hailed the taxi driven by Mr Watchara at Don Meuang airport to take her to Aranyaprathet on May 18. The taxi fare was agreed at 2,000 baht with a condition that the tourist must pay for the gas.

On the way to Aranyaprathet, the cabbie stopped at an LPG gas station in Kabin Buri for refueling. He then demanded 500 baht from the tourist who declined claiming that the meter only showed 277 baht of gas being refueled.

Both engaged in a heated quarrel before the victim handed over 15 US dollars to the cabbie who however demanded 500 US dollars. The two again quarreled in the car and the victim wanted to go to the nearest police station but the cabbie said he would drive her back to Bangkok.

While in the car, it was reported that Watchara assaulted the victim as he tried to seize her handbag. The victim later managed to get out of the car and shouted for help.

The cabbie sped away with her belongings, including a laptop and a Turkish passport.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164508

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-24

Is this photo a relevant and accurate to this story or has it come from the Grab Bag of Thai Visa News photos of Police and Crims collection? Were there two taxi drivers who co-incidentally look like typical ratbag Thai petty villains? No mention of fines for being incorrectly attired as taxi driver.

Good news about the recovery of her property. How did they manage that? Maybe she had a lucky amulet in her bag like the lady in Chiang Mai the other day.

Anyway, great but unusual double "point" by the police boss.

Thailand is far from a Western paradise, nice publicity for Thailand

Do we have any information on the total number of taxis in Thailand? Any data on the number of fares serviced daily by all the taxis in Thailand? Perhaps a little perspective before condemning an entire country on content of one TV headline?

Do we have any information on the total number of taxis in Thailand? Any data on the number of fares serviced daily by all the taxis in Thailand? Perhaps a little perspective before condemning an entire country on content of one TV headline?

I'd have to say, that you need but a few rotten apples for bad rep - doesn't get much easier for a few rotten apples exposed on a weekly basis.

I'd have to say, that you need but a few rotten apples for bad rep - doesn't get much easier for a few rotten apples exposed on a weekly basis.

I do not think a reputation on TV has any global implications. We all like to think we are important, and what happens in our daily lives is of major concern. But I think if you were to ask 100 people in Tokyo, Zurich, Cape Town, Doha, Caracas, what the reputation of Thai taxis is, the most common answer would be "What is a Thailand"? Not really a reputation in comparison to a Western Paradise, is it?

I do not think a reputation on TV has any global implications. We all like to think we are important, and what happens in our daily lives is of major concern. But I think if you were to ask 100 people in Tokyo, Zurich, Cape Town, Doha, Caracas, what the reputation of Thai taxis is, the most common answer would be "What is a Thailand"? Not really a reputation in comparison to a Western Paradise, is it?

I tend to think, that not many people even venture online - just browse at them brochures - at least when talking about tourists - like this poor gal.

There is still this thing called word to mouth, which is quite a powerful thing, as is the social media outlets within facebook, instagram etc - so one person gets the shit -> automatically ~1000 people get the message and forward it towards their peers etc. So a ripple effect basically is easily seen. Much less of the masses have any regard on their own countries' FCO announcements. I've friends in places you mentioned; Tokyo and Zurich, not to mention Berlin, Dresden, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bali (Gili), and most of that "audience" (in my circles called friends) are questioning my rationale living here. Also never heard anybody claiming they don't know where or what Thailand is - poor geography for your "friends" there.

But you have to admit that a few bad apples certainly adds up to a large number...I don't think that these incidents would receive the attention or scorn of the farang community on TV if there were some reasonable consequences for this kind of behavior...for me, the frustrating part is the "punishment" by Thai authorities...criminals steal 50000 THB, but get fined 500...

But you have to admit that a few bad apples certainly adds up to a large number...I don't think that these incidents would receive the attention or scorn of the farang community on TV if there were some reasonable consequences for this kind of behavior...for me, the frustrating part is the "punishment" by Thai authorities...criminals steal 50000 THB, but get fined 500...

Well that's exactly what I was conveying in that comment - if you care to read the comment again :)

"...the victim handed over 15 US dollars to the cabbie who however demanded 500 US dollars" Guess she didn't understand about "corkage charge". Thailand could have their own version of "Cash Cab" if they worked it right

If you want western standards, you pay western prices.

Ever been to Phuket? huh.png

Yup in Phuket a tuktuk costs 2-300 baht minimum price. That's for a very short ride which you 'll walk the next time.

Had some friends go to Thailand for the first time last year. I briefed them on the taxi scams but they still got ripped off every time bar one. First taxi from the airport demanded 500 baht extra for the toll charges even though they didn't go through any. After their trip on the way back to the airport they were charged extra for their luggage, 200 baht per bag. Also although when they got in the cab they got the driver to put on the meter he decided to stop for petrol and then turned the meter off. The fare he charged was 1,200 baht plus the charge for the bags. Didn't spoil their holiday but means that when asked about Thailand their first comments are about being ripped off.

It transpires that this cab driver had been arrested before, in fact on May 2nd, in another incident. This information was posted by Akihiro Tomikawa , "Not You Again", on his Taxi Scam FB page. So less than a month after the last case, he's back and up to the same tricks. It seems the authorities are well on top of the situation, with their minimal fines, slap on the wrist and bugger the traveling public approach.

Some posters say that nothing will ever change. They have a point.