Avocados

Seizetheday

Why do the avocados in thailand seem firm and not as flavorful as the ones in the states?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

There are two varieties, the total round one is not good.

Look for the pear shaped.

Why do the avocados in thailand seem firm and not as flavorful as the ones in the states?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Actually, there are many, many varieties of cados.

Americans generally know HAAS or similar to HAAS (associated with California and Mexico) and FLORIDA, or similar to FLORIDA.

HAAS are vastly superior in flavor and are also higher fat ("good" fat).

Florida are more watery and have their uses, but not good for guacamole.

Yes, both general types are grown in Thailand seasonally. In my experience, the FLORIDA like ones are more common in Pattaya markets that are Thai sourced.

For imports, usually from Australia and N.Z, it's always HAAS like (better) types.

Another huge issue here is the STORAGE of cados, both imported and domestic.

Many Thai grocers still seem very dumb about this. They take the hard unripe ones and stick them in COLD storage. This RUINS the cados, and if they ever ripen (often they don't) the product will be disgustingly MUSHY. Right now it's all expensive imports. So you pay 90 baht for one, it ripens, and it's edible but crappy. That's what you should expect mostly now.

Also even when it's displayed room temperature, you don't know whether it was stored cold before then. In my view, that's very common too.

Off season like now, I find it best to only buy cados that are ripe or even slightly overripe. Then you at least know it's probably edible. Buy them hard, and sometimes they won't ripen at all or go from unripe to rotten. With experience you can tell by squeezing a ripe one if it's already rotten.

To add, the really HAPPY times for cado lovers here is when in peak local season you can find entire bags of HAAS like Thai small ones and those are usually really good. Not sure how or why those seem to avoid cold storage (again, that RUINS the product). You also see big bags of Florida types during that season.

Edited by Jingthing

Actually, there are many, many varieties of cados.

....grown in Thailand.

Even in Thailand, there are more than two varieties grown.

But you are correct about which are better. The less good ones (like Florida) also tend to have a smoother skin while the Haas like ones tend to have lots of texture on the skin.

Here's another tip.

You can tell when the fruit is ripe, aside from squeezing it, by checking if the small portion of stem still there easily pops off.

Also if you buy them ripe or they ripen at home and not ready to eat, put them in the fridge then. That will retard further ripening but that time is limited. Again, cooling degrades or ruins the fruit if not yet ripe.

Edited by Jingthing

• 7 months later...
On 5/25/2016 at 4:02 PM, PoorSucker said:

My local Makro has imported ones from Australia for 90 baht/piece, and domestic from Chiang Mai for 100 baht/kg.

That's a good price, is your Makro the one on N Pattaya Rd?

2 hours ago, Hal65 said:

That's a good price, is your Makro the one on N Pattaya Rd?

No, Koh Samui.

The imports have dropped to 60 baht per piece now because of competition from Chiang Mai.

Still at my Chiang Dao house I can get local avocados for 20 baht per kilo.