Thai Military Bank

I recall to have seen a post on this forum a few months ago that withe "all free" account a foreigner could have a credit card without annual fees.

Around that time I went to the branch on Pattaya Sukhumvit, and since they didn't speak English they called the manager ( Frank ) and I spoke with him.

He said that indeed I could have a credit card, but maybe I had to put some money in a fixed account, I don't remember exactly because he asked me to return the next day but I didn't went.

So today I went back to the same branch to open a account, spoke with a lady who was proficient in English but wasn't the manager.and of course the rules had changed now. According to her, now foreigners couldn't get a credit card anymore, which I think is utter bs as I can get a credit card with a fixed deposit at almost every bank.

I can't remember who made the post but, am I getting demented and is all above only my imagination, or is this another example of " I don't know my job and make up new rules as I go" ?

Talk to Frank again.

Frank has left the building,and frankly speaking the OP should get a Credit Card from another bank who,s frankness is more to his liking thumbsup.gif

I didn't know that Frank wasn't there anymore.

The reason I was interested in the CC was because it had no annual fee's connected, as I wanted the card only as a convenience and will only be used on rare occasions, which as far as I'm aware is not the case with any other bank.

Try another TMB branch, maybe they didn't get the memo on the change yet.

It is not all that unusual for a farang to get a credit card, unfortunately is is usually backed up and limited to the amount you have in a fixed deposit account. Those with work permits have a much easier time and usually don't need for it to be "secured"

Have a look here and see if the credit card your are interested is listed here (change the language up in the right hand side of the page)

https://www.tmbbank.com/landing/view/creditcards-landing.html

If it is, change it back to Thai and print it and take it with you, they usually have a hard time arguing with what their web site says