Thai Guarantor - What Happens Now?

Not entirely clear on your situation, but are you saying:

Your wife's son took out a loan to buy a car. Your wife guaranteed the loan for her son. In addition, your wife used Chanotes in your son's name as collateral for the loan. Your son is a minor as he's only 15 years old?

How old is your wife's son BTW? I assume he's not a minor?

He is in his mid thirties, lives with a woman of similar age, both have reasonable jobs - Neither seem to be able to grow up past the mental age of 5!

Not entirely clear on your situation, but are you saying:

Your wife's son took out a loan to buy a car. Your wife guaranteed the loan for her son. In addition, your wife used Chanotes in your son's name as collateral for the loan. Your son is a minor as he's only 15 years old?

How old is your wife's son BTW? I assume he's not a minor?

Almost,

I have a son (Thai) with my Thai wife, he is 15 and the chanotes are in his name.

She has a grown up son from another marriage who is in his 30's - he is the debtor. He doesn't live near us and he and his wife we very rarely see.

It appears that the chanotes were shown as a sort of "good faith" type of gesture. Crazy really for the bank to make a loan like this when the guarantor has no sort of proof of income.

You can't help these people, they never listen and just go there merry way. At the end of the day she is the guarantor, she has her own land in her own name, so if they have to sell it then so be it.

I am just making sure that no one can touch the land from my son, that is all, the rest of them can do what they like.

Seems they implicitly conspired to make you the guarantor without telling you, and did the usual two step Thai shuffle.

I agree with the sentiments, it stinks -

Indeed, how a son would do that to his own mother! But they were brought up by the grandparents, they never worked, barely went to school and everything to these little shits was a freebie handout. So as they grew older, that is what they expected, everytime they buggered up they expected someone else to pay.

Years back when I was not long out here, the same worthless dog of a son told us all he had finally secured a job, however, the job was driving a truck. The company that gave him a job wanted some sort of guarantee payment of 5K Baht, in case of damage or theft of the truck. I STUPIDLY helped him out and paid the guarantee. Three days later he quit the job because all he thought he was going to do was sit on his lazy arse all day and drive the truck - Turned out the company actually wanted him to get out of the truck every now and again and carry a few bags of cement. This was obviously too much like hard work so he quit.....who lost the deposit? Not him that is for sure. Jesus don't get me started, they make me sick!

The requirement to put down a deposit if some kind of driver, like a truck or van driver for a company, is common in Thailand...it seems to be in the 3K to 5K range based on some of my in-laws which do such work. The companies will usuay allow you to pay 100 baht a month from your pay to slowly pay off the deposit requirement. I just had a in-law who took a job as a van driver, the deposit requirement was $3K, he was paying 100 baht per month, he quit after 3 months, made no effort to get his 300 baht back he had paid towards the deposit. And I expect even for those who do pay the full deposit upfront or over time get the deposit back based on how my in-laws who had such job talked...for some reason they just don't want to go ask (confront) the owner/company to get the money back. I think it more of scheme for companies to ultimately end up paying less overall since the turnover rate is high and the drivers usually don't ask for the deposit back...it seems to be more a common labor abuse procedure accepted based on custom/always did it that way in Thailand.

Sorry but this all seems strange to me

First if your son's land paper are used by a bank for security it would be registered at the Land Office which should not be allowed by them but if they did do it there will be an entry on the land paper so you should check on that if the bank has the paper you can go to the land office and get a up to date copy and get it verified and date stamped by them, if you wife has them I think that you are safe ( but get the papers checked by somebody else please do not trust your wife to tell you all) with the land because the bank normally keeps the papers

Do not feel safe if you keep the land papers because it is not to difficult to get them replaced without you knowing about it but it does take time to get new papers

If I was you and you can get prove that she has used the the papers I would go to the Children's Court and show them your prove they will do nothing about it but you should asked the to put a note on there system that you have 50% rights over your child and if you have prove that you paid for the land give them a copy of that to

I cannot see any bank giving out a loan without any security which they seemed to had done in this case the bank would normally keep the car's blue book (this is why i say not to trust the wife)

The biggest problem that you might have is if all this is true I believe that because you are married you are equally responsible for ANY if your wife's debts even if you knew nothing about it

The annoying thing is that the loan was only 5k Baht per month, divided by two 30 year olds that both had jobs. For whatever reason they simply stopped paying, never told anyone, and continued not to pay now for 5 MONTHS!

They dont care about consequences. They dont plan. They dont think ahead.

Besides which the stupid wife of some stupid farang has acted as guarantor for them. So they probably just assume that stupid farang will end up paying off the debt for them to avoid his wife having problems.

Personally I would rather have dealings with a Nigerian prince than with Thais and people who live in Thailand generally. If I live to be a thousand years old I will never lend money or anything else to anyone here, or act as guarantor in any way, or get involved in any sort of business venture of any type with anyone here regardless of skin colour. They simply do not act responsibly or honestly.