Phra Dhammachayo to turn himself in at Klong Luang police station

webfact

Phra Dhammachayo to turn himself in at Klong Luang police station

112_Phra-Dhammachayo-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An army of reporters and photographers have been waiting at Klong Luang police station in Pathum Thani province where Phra Dhammachayo is expected to turn himself in to acknowledge the charges to be lodged against him.

Lawyers of the embattled abbot of Wat Dhammakaya notified the DSI this morning that Phra Dhammachayo would turn himself in outside the temple but not at the DSI office as required. It was later reported that Klong Luang police station was chosen as the venue of the abbot’s surrender.

The lawyers’ notification that Phra Dhammachayo would not surrender at the DSI office prompted DSI chief, Pol Col Paisit Wongmuang, and his team of enquiry officers to huddle in a meeting with Mr Kachornsak Putthanuparb, the special public prosecutor.

At about noon time, Mr Kachornsak told the media that Phra Dhammachayo was legally required to turn himself in at the DSI or any other government offices. But if the monk is sick, he said that the monk can go to a state hospital where enquiry officers will formally file the charges against him for acknowledgement.

Klong Luang police said they have arranged appropriate facilities at the station to receive the sick abbot today.

A thousand of supporters and his followers have arrived at the station and are now encircling the station amid a hundred of police and other security personnel keeping watch.

Phra Dhammachayo is facing charges of money laundering and receiving stolen properties in connection with cash donations misappropriated from Klongchan Credit Union Cooperatives by the former chairman of the cooperatives and given to the about and Wat Dhammakaya.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164904

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-26

Dhammakaya’s Powerful Abbot to Surrender to Police
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14642491151464249147l.jpg
Monks line up outside a Pathum Thani police station Thursday afternoon.

BANGKOK — Hundreds of monks lined up along a road this afternoon where the supreme leader of a powerful Buddhist sect announced he will turn himself in to hear charges of fraud.

News that Dhammachayo, abbot of Dhammakaya, would surrender comes after weeks of confrontation pitting some of Thailand’s most powerful institutions in an epic tug-of-war, with the Division of Special Investigation accusing the head of the controversial megatemple of embezzling billions, charges the latter rejects as a politically motivated smear campaign.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1464249115

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-05-26

As of 3pm, the abbot was still inside a van which had brought him to the police station. His aides say that he passed out and is being revived by paramedics.

Oh please!

Saw this in the international press about the temple scandal.

Prosecution of Buddhist Monk Sparks Global Protests

To quote a few lines:-

The ongoing prosecution of Venerable Dhammajayo, a Thai monk and the abbot of Wat Phra Dhammakaya, the largest Buddhist temple in Thailand, has brought forth a wave of protests from supporters across four continents.

Interesting report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nicholas-liusuwan/prosecution-of-buddhist-m_b_10122666.html

Edited by tukkytuktuk

don't understand why this shamed monk has any supporters, do these people not understand what this man has been doing, he has brought shame to Thailand and to all Buddhists, pretty sure there are many more of them too

said it before, these temples need to be brought under strict financial regulation like every other establishment that handles huge amounts of money

don't understand why this shamed monk has any supporters, do these people not understand what this man has been doing, he has brought shame to Thailand and to all Buddhists, pretty sure there are many more of them too

said it before, these temples need to be brought under strict financial regulation like every other establishment that handles huge amounts of money

I expect his monk supporters are on his payroll. Never look a gift horse.......

I expect his monk supporters are on his payroll. Never look a gift horse.......

Good point.

I wonder what payroll the big monk is on?

Just seen this on youtube.

On May 17th, 2016 Thailand’s Department of Special Investigations (DSI) issued an arrest warrant for Ven. Dhammajayo, the abbot of Thailand’s largest buddhist temple. This warrant is grounded on the abbot not appearing for a summons in a controversial case in which many people say he is wrongfully accused. However, the abbot did not ignore the summons but simply requested that DSI interview the abbot at the temple due to doctor verified life-threatening medical illnesses, a basic human right in which he was refused. Because DSI has ignored the rights of ill defendants for reasonable accommodation, we believe the Thai DSI has acted unlawfully and in gross violation of patient and human rights. We respectfully request the White House to look into this issue and condemn this violation.

There are a few discussions about beliefs and religions on the forum these days.

I wrote there that although I grew a real interest Buddhism when I came to Thailand, these are the kind of things that eventually kept me away.

Well this case is kind of extreme, but money is everywhere in Thai Buddhism.

Obviously this guy must be spraying lots of money over quite a few important people to get such a level of immunity.

I know that I've said this already, but making a farce of the authorities like this in a country where face-saving is the most important thing... it really beats me.

Edited by Lannig

There are a few discussions about beliefs and religions on the forum these days.

I wrote there that although I grew a real interest Buddhism when I came to Thailand, these are the kind of things that eventually kept me away.

Obviously this guy must be spraying lots of money over quite a few important people to get such a level of immunity.

I know that I've said this already, but making a farce of the authorities like this in a country where face-saving is the most important thing... it really beats me.

Money is in all Religions that is why they are all equal.

All the leaders believe equally in Money

Money is in all Religions that is why they are all equal.

All the leaders believe equally in Money

"Obviously this guy must be spraying lots of money over quite a few important people to get such a level of immunity."

Well there's another possibility: rich powerful people with no morals or values taking advantage of Buddhism to build a strong following of thousands of Thai people for nasty political reasons.

As of 3pm, the abbot was still inside a van which had brought him to the police station. His aides say that he passed out and is being revived by paramedics.

Oh please!

I don't think he ever claimed to be a tough guy and some people aren't as use as some are to having to act that way

Oh please!

I don't think he ever claimed to be a tough guy and some people aren't as use as some are to having to act that way

He (or his strategists) generated the build up to this situation - he therefore needs to run with it.

I really wonder who is behind this whole charade.

Scam and nothing more.

Oh please!

He (or his strategists) generated the build up to this situation - he therefore needs to run with it.

Scam and nothing more.

Big T the Godfather.

Remember the "respect my vote" propoganda campaign when people protested in major cities worldwide. Same same for this abbot. Protesters holding up respect my monk instead. It's got big T's signature all over it. He's laughing so hard. The other month it was the victory monument show now its the temple show. Brilliant mind, master of propoganda.

Edited by Wilsonandson

Oh please!

Scam and nothing more.

whoever uses his services to launder money, I could have a wild guess but I won't

of course this is not proven until it goes to court if it ever gets there

Oh please!

...fancy being kept inside a van in this heat..no water.

Dhammachayo fainted at his temple and missed appointment with DSI officials

115_Dhammachayo-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Phra Dhammachayo fainted as he was about to board a chauffeur-driven car to travel to Klong Luang police station in Pathum Thani hence making him miss the 2.30 pm appointment with officials of the Department of Special Investigation and public prosecutors.

Mr Samphan Sermcheep, the lawyer of the embattled abbot of Wat Dhammakaya, told the media that he immediately notified the DSI about the sudden collapse of Phra Dhammachayo.

He said that the abbot was waiting at the temple for a medical checkup by a doctor to determine whether he would be able to travel to the police station or not.

Hundreds of monks and followers together with an army of reporters and photographers have been keeping a vigil in front of Klong Luang police station in anticipation of Dhammachayo’s arrival scheduled at 2.30 pm.

The deadline passed and he didn’t show up.

Mr Kachornsak Putthanuparb, the special prosecutor, said he proposed Phra Dhammachayo through his lawyer, Mr Samphan, to go to Thammasat hospital to acknowledge the charges.

It is not known whether this proposal will be accepted by the embattled monk or not.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164939

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-27