Under 50, 85k Income, Want To Live Here

I have a neighbour who is Swiss, aged 42 and in receipt of a disability insurance payment (can be confirmed by Swiss Embassy) of around 85K baht per month as he can no longer work. He has sold his assets in Switzerland and wishes to live here in Thailand.

He arrived here 8 months ago with a 3 month Tourist Visa and has done 5 visa runs up to now. He is concerned about being turned away at the border in view of the number of stamps and would like advice as to how he can best stay here legally, long term. Is conversion to a non-immigrant 'O' an option and where would he have to go to get it - Switzerland or another local asian country. If possible would he then need to make border runs 3 monthly?

Any offers?

A multi entry non immigrant O visa from his home country is probably his best option. He might be able to obtain in Oz but I would advise him to contact the Consulate directly to confirm before making the trip. That would require he make 90 day visa runs.

A multi entry non immigrant O visa from his home country is probably his best option. He might be able to obtain in Oz but I would advise him to contact the Consulate directly to confirm before making the trip. That would require he make 90 day visa runs.

Is that 90 day ad infinitum or is there a limit?

A multi entry non immigrant O visa would be valid for one year from issue and allow unlimited entry/exit during that period with each entry for 90 days. To continue he would have to obtain a new visa every 14 months or so.

A multi entry non immigrant O visa would be valid for one year from issue and allow unlimited entry/exit during that period with each entry for 90 days. To continue he would have to obtain a new visa every 14 months or so.

Is the Non Imm 'O' a problem as Pattaya 46 suggests? I seem to remember getting one quite easily 5 years ago before I started on marriage extension for my own Visa.

A multi entry non immigrant O visa from his home country is probably his best option...

How could he get a non-imm O Visa ?

No such visa for tourism... And he is under 50... Always the same "problem"...

Pattaya46

Good question.

I think the easiest way is to use a combination of multiple entry tourist visas with monthly visa runs until you're 50.

Multiple entry tourist visas can be obtained in Thai embassies (you better call to the embassy first to ask how many entries you can get over there).

Each entry allows you to stay 60 days but this can be extented with 30 days, ging a total of 90 days per entry.

Usually you get only 2 or 3 entries.

If you've used all your entries you could go 3 times for 30 days stamps before applying for a new multiple entry tourist visa.

I don't believe a tourist younger than 50 can get a non-immigrant-O visa.

A number of Consulates have issued non immigrant O visas for visiting friends and such reasons in the past. There has not been any reports that this has ceased but the new MFA web site guidelines no longer include visiting friends and family as a valid reason for the "O" class of visa so it may soon become a thing of the past.

//Edit to remove family from above as it is still valid for that reason as those who are married know//

A number of Consulates have issued non immigrant O visas for visiting friends and such reasons in the past. There has not been any reports that this has ceased but the new MFA web site guidelines no longer include visiting friends and family as a valid reason for the "O" class of visa so it may soon become a thing of the past.

//Edit to remove family from above as it is still valid for that reason as those who are married know//

Thanks for the info Lopburi. I was just having a re-read of the police order 606/2006 and noticed, perhaps for the first time, item 12 :-

12. Any case that is not described in this Order, the officer shall report to the Commander of the Immigration Bureau or the authorized officer to make consideration case by case.

This seems to me to be a clause that gives wide powers to the Chief of Immigration to use discretion where individual cases don't fit. Are you aware of any cases where this is being exercised? There appears to be some sort of consensus of opinion that the authorities in Bangkok may be looking at applications more sympathetically than in Pattaya; is it perhaps worth applying there even if previously rebuffed in Pattaya?

I have a neighbour who is Swiss, aged 42 and in receipt of a disability insurance payment (can be confirmed by Swiss Embassy) of around 85K baht per month as he can no longer work. He has sold his assets in Switzerland and wishes to live here in Thailand.

I'm pretty much in the same boat (41 years of age, but I have no pension, darn!).

First I'll try to get the new 3-year business visa to "explore business opportunities in Thailand". :o

(It will probably help that I have a small company here in the U.S.)

Assuming this works, this will get me to 45/46 (depending on at what age I decide to move to the LoS, could be at age 42, could be at age 43)

Your neighbor could set up a pro-forma company in Switzerland and try the very same thing.

Once the 3-year business visa has run out, there are, of course, several possibilities:

1. Conceivably after 3 years in the LoS one will have a TW :D and could go for the 40000-baht-per-

month marriage visa.

2. Or one could try to get another 3-year business visa "to explore further business opportunities". :D

3. Or one could take the plunge and get the 1-million Baht :D Elite card, which comes with a 5-year

visa.

Once one is 50, one could always get the 800000 Baht retirement visa.

He arrived here 8 months ago with a 3 month Tourist Visa and has done 5 visa runs up to now. He is concerned about being turned away at the border in view of the number of stamps and would like advice as to how he can best stay here legally, long term. Is conversion to a non-immigrant 'O' an option and where would he have to go to get it - Switzerland or another local asian country. If possible would he then need to make border runs 3 monthly?

Any offers?

I agree with inspector 2211 -the new 3 year Non Immigrant B multiple-entry business visa, but he will need to return to Switzerland to do it. He should speak to Sunbelt to see if they will help him with their sponsorship programme - if he qualifies.

Otherwise he could set up a small business or try and find a business sponsor in Thailand or overseas.

Any offers?

I agree with inspector 2211 -the new 3 year Non Immigrant B multiple-entry business visa, but he will need to return to Switzerland to do it. He should speak to Sunbelt to see if they will help him with their sponsorship programme - if he qualifies.

Otherwise he could set up a small business or try and find a business sponsor in Thailand or overseas.

I thought the 3 year business Visa was for those who worked outside Thailand but needed to visit Thailand to visit contacts in respect of an overseas business. As my neighbour can no longer work due to his disability this does not seem very appropriate.

I thought the 3 year business Visa was for those who worked outside Thailand but needed to visit Thailand to visit contacts in respect of an overseas business. As my neighbour can no longer work due to his disability this does not seem very appropriate.

It depends on his disability. I was medically retired from full-time employment in 2000 but I still have a brain and am able to carry out a small Internet based business on a part-time basis (a couple of hours a day) and also give practical business/tax advice to people.