Cobra snake show scare not in Phuket, says island tourism boss

webfact

Cobra snake show scare not in Phuket, says island tourism boss
The Phuket News

1464324857_1-org.jpg
The cobra escaped the snake pit and terrified the tourists in the audience.

PHUKET: -- Santi Pawai, Director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Phuket office, has denied that a viral video of a cobra escaping a snake pit and terrifying tourists at show happened in Phuket.

The video, credited to Dmitriy Bodnar, went viral last Saturday, with international news agencies reporting the frightening incident.

The audience were enjoying the bizarre act at a venue in Phuket, when the snake leapt into the crowd arching its neck at terrified crowd members, reported the MailOnline. (See story here.)

“The show was very interesting. I sat quietly and watched until the snake almost bit spectators. I do not know whether it was part of the show or something went out of control, but the fact is I was frightened, not only I was frightened. everyone was,” Mr Bodnar was quoted as saying.

“We investigated as soon as we saw the video on social media,” Mr Santi said yesterday (May 26), adding that he and Tourist Police Lt Thapanan Akarakantrakon and other officials inspected eight snake shows in Chalong, including in Soi Palai, Soi Prayai, and Soi Nakok, he added.

“But we did not find a snake show that matched the description we saw on the video clip. We believe this clip taken somewhere else,” he said.

However, Mr Santi did not explain why no other snake shows in Phuket were inspected or why no effort was made to contact Mr Bodnar to confirm where the video was recorded.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/photo/listing/2016/1464324857_1-org.jpg

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-27

A rare win for the exploited animal.

Elephant, snake,dolphin, monkey, crocodile shows all should be strictly controlled for the welfare of both the patrons and the animals. Hard to believe there are still new dolphin shows being opened, in some cases, miles inland.

Unfortunately this article only goes to show how pathetic the police and tourism authorities in Phuket are. Of course it took place in Phuket and the two posts above show this and I think the person that originally reported this knew where he was at the time; why should he lie?