2 visa exempts already- should I risk a third?

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate your advice. I'm a newbie when it comes to visas, and I'll admit it's a bit overwhelming to know all the rules (especially as a lot of advice online is out of date).

So, I arrived in Thailand on the 30 day visa exemption, flew to Cambodia for 2 weeks, then Vietnam for 2 weeks, then back to Thailand on another 30 day visa exemption. On this second stop-over, I rented an apartment for 2 months and now have to do a visa run as my 30 days are up in 2 days. When I left Vietnam, I purchased a one-way flight to Kuala Lumpur, in case I was asked for proof of onward travel, and I figured I could apply for a proper Tourist Visa at the Thai embassy in KL. Since booking that flight, I've read that KL is one of the worst places to try to get a Thai visa from, and I'm really concerned about getting denied. I understand that there's a good chance they'll ask for financial documentation, and unfortunately I'm waiting on payment for a freelance project, so my current bank balance is a bit sad.

I also heard they ask for a ticket out of Thailand, which I don't want to book yet because I really have no idea what my plans are for the next two months.

So, I guess I have two questions. Can I get away with flying to KL, hanging out for a few days, and then re-entering Thailand on a third 30 day visa exemption? Is there a chance that I may be denied? I know the government is said to be cracking down on back-to-back exemptions, but I don't know if 3 counts as abusing the system.

My second question, is has anyone recently had any experience getting a tourist visa in KL, and was it successful? Did they ask for a ticket out of Thailand and proof of financial stability?I also didn't book a return flight from KL back to Chiang Mai yet, just in case I'll be denied in KL and will have to fly to Penang. I've read that sometimes they ask to see your ticket INTO Thailand as well - has anyone seen this?

I really would be grateful for some help - I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to visas!

Cheers,

J

You should apply for a tourist visa in Penang (Malaysia) or Vientiane (Laos), the chances of being refused in KL are high.

It is likely that you would be given a third visa exempt entry (which can be easily extended for 30 days at an immigration office for 1900 Bht)

What are your plans beyond the next visa exempt or tourist visa entry ?

You will get a third visa exempt entry. You will need onward flight out of los. Otherwise airline may refuse you boarding. Forget KL for visa. Many other places easier. Laos for one. If thinking you may have plans to stay longer then obtain SETV at places like Vientiane or Penang.

AirAsia fly direct to Vientiane now. About 1800 return.

If you decide visa exempt have cash on you to support your stay and even hotel bokkings. You will need onward flight within the 30 day

Edited by jacksam

Thanks so much for your quick response!

If I'm allowed another visa exempt entry, then I would extend that for 30 days at an immigration office. If I decide to stay in Thailand beyond the 2 months, then I'll definitely get a Tourist Visa. I think I'll book a flight to Penang this time (in case I'm asked for proof of onward travel in KL), so that I can easily apply for the Tourist Visa. I guess I shot myself in the foot by booking a flight to KL without doing any research on visas there :(

I would probably toss the one way ticket to KL and get the 30 day extension of the current entry and then decide what to do. You could do a border hop for another exempt entry or go out for a tourist visa. Or use the ticket to get to Penang via KL and apply for a tourist visa that would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Just have been refused entering a Thailand and waiting to be deported back to Turkey where i came from. I had left Thailand 2 months ago canceling my student visa because my mother was sick. Wanted to go back to school and get documents again to apply for a new student visa.. But refused entry and being sent back back to Turkey now

Just have been refused entering a Thailand and waiting to be deported back to Turkey where i came from. I had left Thailand 2 months ago canceling my student visa because my mother was sick. Wanted to go back to school and get documents again to apply for a new student visa.. But refused entry and being sent back back to Turkey now

Are you a Turkish citizen with a Turkish passport ?

What was the reason given for refusing you entry ?

What was the reason for the denial of entry? Did you have a visa or were you trying to get a visa exempt entry?

Okey, my friend! There is something very strange about your story. Either you have been refused to enter the country and are free. if you are waiting to be deported you can not possibly post this message. You are then locked up.

It sounds to me that you are locked up for being sent back to Turkey. If that is the case then you will probably face a ban for entering Thailand again for a certain amount of time. It might be that they are nice to you and let you leave without a note.

Anyway I will think you have to specify a little bit about what situation you really are in.

What was the reason for the denial of entry? Did you have a visa or were you trying to get a visa exempt entry?

Okey, ubonjoe! I respect your comments in this forum on a high level, but it is impossible to send a message if you are waiting in detention for deportation.

Okey, ubonjoe! I respect your comments in this forum on a high level, but it is impossible to send a message if you are waiting in detention for deportation.

What make you think he is in detention. He might be sitting in a immigration office at the airport and using a phone to post. Even if in detention at the airport it is a bit more relaxed than the main one at Suan Phu.

Also you cannot be deported if you never entered the country,.

The OP says nothing about being detained, He merely says he was denied entry. Being denied entry does not equate to being detained or being "deported".

I suspect ,much like you, English is not the OP's first language.

I am very sorry to hear your story. Let this be yet another warning to anyone entering Thailand at an airport with an old 'Ed' visa in their passport. You might as well write, "Do Not Let Me In!" in bold letters across that passport page - even though he was out of the country for 2 months, so clearly not working.

But to the OP - were you asked to show 20K Baht and/or did you have that sum in cash (any currency) to show? Most people will not be asked for this, but anyone with an Ed Visa or recent VisaExempts or TouristVisas should plan on it. Not having that 20K Baht in cash is an easy excuse to deny entry, regardless of if you can prove you have many times that sum in a Thai or foreign bank-account.