Expired 5 year driving license, what to do?

fester the benevolent

As the thread title implies I've just noticed that my 5 year license expired in March. I'll be talking to the relevant office on Monday but does anybody know what the score is on this at the moment?

Am I back to square one and have to go off and take lessons or just sit through the tests and videos and do the little parking thing at the office or can I somehow resuscitate the old license and thereby renew it?

I have no license from any other country that I can use or convert or whatever and I don't think the IDP rules apply to those here on anything but a tourist visa/permit or whatever.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, info or pointers.

Edit to add that I am based in HKT for the last 15 years so I'll be dealing with the office here, hence this forum seemed the best place to post.

Edited by fester the benevolent

It is likely that the licence will be renewed. Make sure all the required paperwork is in order (copies of passport, medical cert etc) .

You will have to do the eyesight, depth perception , reaction time etc tests again and watch the "road safety" video !

Make sure you arrive early at the test centre ..............

Edited by johnatong

It is likely that the licence will be renewed. Make sure all the required paperwork is in order (copies of passport, medical cert etc) .

You will have to do the eyesight, depth perception , reaction time etc tests again and watch the "road safety" video !

Up to one year allowed for expired license to be renewed.

Arrive by 08.30 and join th usual long queue ....

Edited by LivinginKata

Renewed my motorbike l. last week which was expired since february. Easy going and i was surprised no crowds. Not more than 20 people and all went super fast. So 9.15 is enough to arrive and give u time before video starts at 10.00. Was out at 11.00 because they stop the video after 45 min.

Go on Tuesday-Thursday then less people.

Edited by schlog

2 copies of passport,2 copies of WP or other legal document that permits you to stay. No need to bring picture. I didn't need medical certificate nor proof of residence. You can go to any center of your choice. I live in Bangkok and applied for DL extention in Phang Nga, they only have a traffic light where you have to recognize the 3 different colors and of course the 1h video. That's all

2 copies of passport,2 copies of WP or other legal document that permits you to stay. No need to bring picture. I didn't need medical certificate nor proof of residence. You can go to any center of your choice. I live in Bangkok and applied for DL extention in Phang Nga, they only have a traffic light where you have to recognize the 3 different colors and of course the 1h video. That's all

OP will need proof of residence as he likley has no Wok Permit. This PoR can come from Thai Immigration or own embassy in BKK.

You only need 2 of all documents is your are applying for both M/bike and car DLs.

OP will need proof of residence as he likley has no Wok Permit. This PoR can come from Thai Immigration or own embassy in BKK.

You only need 2 of all documents is your are applying for both M/bike and car DLs.

Correct

Yes, you can renew without any issues.

Just take into account that the DLT will accept this, but at the moment you don't have a valid licence.

Yeah, I know! It feels really strange after driving for so long without issue to know that the damn thing expired hence my haste to get it sorted out.

Many thanks to all who contributed answers, since I do have a WP (looking at you LiK!) then it seems like I can be very cautiously optimistic!

2 copies of PP - easy

2 copies of WP -easy

Medical - one poster says it's needed, one says not. I'll have a shower and see if that fools the Doc into declaring me fit to drive!

Thanks again all.

Yes, you can renew without any issues.

Just take into account that the DLT will accept this, but at the moment you don't have a valid licence.

Yeah, I know! It feels really strange after driving for so long without issue to know that the damn thing expired hence my haste to get it sorted out.

Many thanks to all who contributed answers, since I do have a WP (looking at you LiK!) then it seems like I can be very cautiously optimistic!

2 copies of PP - easy

2 copies of WP -easy

Medical - one poster says it's needed, one says not. I'll have a shower and see if that fools the Doc into declaring me fit to drive!

Thanks again all.

For renewal of 5 year in Phuket no medical required.

Yep, no medical required for me last year. Sorry about WP, you mentioned you were in HK so I wrongly assumed you lived there. With a WP it's easy peasy, I used my WP last time. Still think you need to get there before 09.00. The English video briefing starts at 10.00 and it takes a while for the eye tests as in my case that room was heaving. I was worried I would not make the 10.00 video. Best of luck.

Yep, no medical required for me last year. Sorry about WP, you mentioned you were in HK so I wrongly assumed you lived there. With a WP it's easy peasy, I used my WP last time. Still think you need to get there before 09.00. The English video briefing starts at 10.00 and it takes a while for the eye tests as in my case that room was heaving. I was worried I would not make the 10.00 video. Best of luck.

LMAO, I said I was in HKT!

And you passed the eye tests you say? Maybe I should knock back a few stiff Lao Khao's before I toddle down there. tongue.png

LMAO, I said I was in HKT!

And you passed the eye tests you say? Maybe I should knock back a few stiff Lao Khao's before I toddle down there. tongue.png

Yes, the eye tests are a real joke. Big crowd watching the person being tested. One Farang said Deng (red) every traffic light colour and passed,the Thai guy sitting beside me and myself burst out laughing only to attract the steely gaze of the testing lady officer.

A very old farang couple (in their 80s) had a lot of difficulty with the perception controls. Each had multiple tries with the coaching of their Thai aider. The testing lady just sighed and passed them.

I wonder why you mentioned Lao Khaos ???

Edited by LivinginKata

Renewed my motorbike l. last week which was expired since february. Easy going and i was surprised no crowds. Not more than 20 people and all went super fast. So 9.15 is enough to arrive and give u time before video starts at 10.00. Was out at 11.00 because they stop the video after 45 min.

Can I just ask, do farang still get 5 years licens when renew?

Can't remember where I heard we only get 1 year. I hope that's wrong info.

Can I just ask, do farang still get 5 years licens when renew?

Can't remember where I heard we only get 1 year. I hope that's wrong info.

5 year provided extension of stay or non immigrant visa, tourist visa or visa exempt 2 years. 1 year does not exist anymore.

Done and dusted! Thanks again all for saving me a lot of time and for the good advice.

Arrived there at about 9:15, send to the building round the back and made my photocopies at the adjacent shop, through the info desk and upstairs for the reflex and traffic light test. Watched the vid for about 45 minutes and then down to pay, photo and license done. Finished and out before 11:30.

Got a 5 year renewal that is valid until March 2022! blink.png