Chiang Mai Immiegration Does Visa Class Changes

Many thanks to Lopburi3 and others for the sound advice when my long stay extentions expired while I was overseas.

Their advice and my action was to get a tourist visa and then change that visa to a non-imm O visa in Thailand.

Much to my delight, unlike three years ago, I didn't have to go to Bangkok to do this, Chiang Mai Immigration did it and in less than an hour. I did have to return four hours later, my guess to give them time to put my application online to check various databases, probably including U.S. to see if I was a bad guy.

The visa does not carry any writing on it indicating what type of non-imm visa it is but they voided my tourist visa with the "used" stamp but did the same to the non-imm visa as well. Another stamp states "admitted 9 November, the date of getting my non-imm visa, actual entry date on tourist visa was Nov. 2.

"Unitil" date is 6 Feb but was advised to return in early Janruary to start the long stay extention process.

1900 Baht fee and expect same fee in Janruary. Used my pension for the first time and it was quite simple. No one asked me for proof of amount, I merely swore under oath at the Counsulate in Chiang Mai to the truth of the statement.

They did pay close attention to the slight discrepency between pension amount and required amount and made sure the bank book and bank verification letter more than covered the discrepency, using 36 Baht to the dollar, even though the current rate is above that.

A real dream experience compared to prior ones. They have changed the eintire immigration staff in CM except for a couple I recognized, streamlined the desk arrangement and go rid of the higher ranked officers cubicles in the back. Coffee shop also opened next to the waiting area and a microphone is now used to call your name.

Sign on entry to building invites complaits be sent to commanding general of immigration at his website.

Many thanks to Lopburi3 and others for the sound advice when my long stay extentions expired while I was overseas.

Their advice and my action was to get a tourist visa and then change that visa to a non-imm O visa in Thailand.

Much to my delight, unlike three years ago, I didn't have to go to Bangkok to do this, Chiang Mai Immigration did it and in less than an hour. I did have to return four hours later, my guess to give them time to put my application online to check various databases, probably including U.S. to see if I was a bad guy.

The visa does not carry any writing on it indicating what type of non-imm visa it is but they voided my tourist visa with the "used" stamp but did the same to the non-imm visa as well. Another stamp states "admitted 9 November, the date of getting my non-imm visa, actual entry date on tourist visa was Nov. 2.

"Unitil" date is 6 Feb but was advised to return in early Janruary to start the long stay extention process.

1900 Baht fee and expect same fee in Janruary. Used my pension for the first time and it was quite simple. No one asked me for proof of amount, I merely swore under oath at the Counsulate in Chiang Mai to the truth of the statement.

:o I am from Germany and did the same in Mae Sai on October 27th.Yesterday I had an appointment in Mae Sai and got my Non Immigrant O Visa.But the fee was 2000 THB(as advertised in the internet).For applying for the extension I shall come early in January 2007.

It was pretty easy,although I had to wait 14 days of consideration.That didn't matter,anyway

:o I am from Germany and did the same in Mae Sai on October 27th.Yesterday I had an appointment in Mae Sai and got my Non Immigrant O Visa.But the fee was 2000 THB(as advertised in the internet).For applying for the extension I shall come early in January 2007.

It was pretty easy,although I had to wait 14 days of consideration.That didn't matter,anyway

Hi!

So you guys mean that it is possible to get the Non immigrant O Visa IN Thailand??? I have always heard that you need to apply for the non immigrant vias abroad. On a Thai conulate.

In Mae sai what docoments did you need? I'm about to apply for a Non immigrant O my self. By marriage. I have a Thai wife and we have two sons together. I have no income here yet. I'm only 26 years old so I don't have a pension comming every month either. But I'm going to work as a teacher when I get my Non Immigrant.

So maybe I shouldtry Chiang Mai or mae Sai first?

You need to meet specific requirements to make the change of visa at immigration - basically similar to those for extension of stay. Do not believe marriage itself will qualify (but if anyone knows better please advise). If you have job lined up you may be able to qualify with the normal bundle of paperwork however so if that is the case you should give it a try.

You need to meet specific requirements to make the change of visa at immigration - basically similar to those for extension of stay. Do not believe marriage itself will qualify (but if anyone knows better please advise). If you have job lined up you may be able to qualify with the normal bundle of paperwork however so if that is the case you should give it a try.

You can change to a 90 day "O" visa based on 400K in the bank or 40K month salary. However the extension itself you can only qualify by having 40K salary by you or your wife. Money in the bank does not count towards the one year extension.

By the way, the change visa requirements were expected to be the same as extension on November 15th ( 400K in the bank) , but it looks now it will be delayed.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Quite right Lopburi3 and Sunbelt. I failed to mention, I had to qualify for a retirement extention with all the paperwork required as the basis for the change of visa from tourist to non-imm O. In summary, I would say the change of visa class is an accomodation eliminating the requirement to leave the country and qualify for the visa abroad.

Lopburi, of what do you speak reagarding my fee discount. I was prepared to pay the same fee for the change of visa class and I will pay again in two months for the long stay extention. 1900 Baht. Do visa class changes carry a higher fee? The fee for this service was not posted.

So if I get it right...I, being married to a Thai, and we have two children together isn't enough, I need 400K to get a90 day visa? and then to get a year visa i need 40k income/month? Or else impossible? Because I'm not working right now becase I can't work with a tourist visa. But how about if i GET a fulltime job and make them write a work permit for me? Would it be easier to get visa then?

1. The fee for change of visa class is 2,000 baht.

2. Change of visa for wife requires 400k or 40k income but extension would be 40k income only. So if you have 400k you can obtain a temporary 90 day from immigration.

3. With employment you have a choice for business, or family. For family the requirement will be 40k total income and should normally be the choice (unless the relationship is more rocky than the job).

4. Marriage allows you to obtain a non immigrant visa in either single entry or multi entry (valid for one year) from Consulates (with Kular Lumpur and Singapore being best closely at this time). These visas allow up to 90 day say before you are required to exit/return.

5. No lump sum for those not already in the system. The requirement is 40k family income - for local income that requires tax receipts and for foreign income Embassy certification.