Looking to teach, but can I transfer a retirement visa to a marriage visa

Basically I am retired and as such currently utilise the appropriate visa.

However, I want to do something with my time and a teaching opportunity has be offered to me.

The school requires I get a work permit and keep things fully legit, and so I need to change my visa accordingly.

I still have 8 months to go on my retirement visa and so I was wondering if I can transfer (with all the right documents) my retirment visa to a marriage visa? I can then apply for a work permit.

To under take this I would visit the Savannakhet Immigration. I mention that because sometimes specific immigration offices look more kindly on some transactions. Maybe Savannakhet is one?

Whats your advise?

Edited by jkinbkk

You apparently have an extension of stay based upon retirement you obtained at immigration not a visa.

You cannot change the reason for your extension to one based upon marriage until your current one expires. The only thing you can do now is leave the country and apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage at a nearby embassy or consulate. Then you could apply for a work permit. And then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa apply for an extension based upon marriage.

• Like 2

I was told that I would need to leave the country to change my retirement visa to a non b.. not worth my time and effort for work that offers a pittance of money and an excess of disrespect.

Well, I always understood that respect had to be earned. I was never any good at classroom management, and used to let sleeping students lie there, but some students were always interested -- I was teaching high school level math in English -- and for years afterward I would occasionally run into former students who would greet me on the street and thank me for what I had taught them. It's true the money mostly isn't very good, but some of the bigger international schools pay very well indeed. They tend not to hire locally, though.

I was a lecturer at a Uni here, but I changed to Retirement Extension when I quit that job.

If I now want to return to teaching in a Uni or school (and so need WP), can I change back to a normal O/A Visa just by going to Imm? Or must I leave and come back in?

In my Uni job, the HRM dept arranged everything and I did not need to fly out. Perhaps because I was on a 30-90 day from the Gibraltar Thai Consul way back then.

I'm confused.

Eddy

I was a lecturer at a Uni here, but I changed to Retirement Extension when I quit that job.

If I now want to return to teaching in a Uni or school (and so need WP), can I change back to a normal O/A Visa just by going to Imm? Or must I leave and come back in?

In my Uni job, the HRM dept arranged everything and I did not need to fly out. Perhaps because I was on a 30-90 day from the Gibraltar Thai Consul way back then.

I'm confused.

Eddy

You would not be able to anything and certainly not be able to change back to a visa entry at immigration.

You will have to leave to get a non-b visa. Since you will be teaching a work permit application will not need to be done before you get the visa.

I'm confused.

Eddy

An O/A visa can only be obtained from the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your own country and work is not permitted for those that hold that visa.

You likely need a "B" visa obtained outside Thailand with supportive paperwork supplied by your prospective employer.

You apparently have an extension of stay based upon retirement you obtained at immigration not a visa.

You cannot change the reason for your extension to one based upon marriage until your current one expires. The only thing you can do now is leave the country and apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage at a nearby embassy or consulate. Then you could apply for a work permit. And then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa apply for an extension based upon marriage.

I'm sorry Joe but I must disagree with you.

I changed from a retirement extension with 6 months left to run to a marriage extension. The retirement was cancelled and a new 12 month extension issued. Admittedly, the IMO was not keen as it causes them more work but I insisted (needed the funds to purchase a car). There is nothing in the 'book' that says it cannot be done, just the IMO could be reluctant to do it because of the extra work. JMHO.

• Like 1

Ok good advise. Clarity is taking shape

Agree, at time to do your extension it should be no problem. Have you asked about getting a work permit on your retirement visa? Some places allow.

Working on a retirement visa!

Please elucidate....thats interesting

I changed from a retirement extension with 6 months left to run to a marriage extension. The retirement was cancelled and a new 12 month extension issued. Admittedly, the IMO was not keen as it causes them more work but I insisted (needed the funds to purchase a car). There is nothing in the 'book' that says it cannot be done, just the IMO could be reluctant to do it because of the extra work. JMHO.

Coincidently I did my 90 day at Khon Kaen Immigration this afternoon.

While being fast tracked through by the admin girl I enquired about my option in this regard.

She pretty much indicated the course of action would be similar to what Madgee has stated.

Having said that, this advise came from the Admin girl but did tally with the above.

You are not meant to work on a retirement extension, but can on a marriage extension. I tried to change when I started teaching 6 months into my retirement visa, but was told I could not 'transfer' to a marriage extension. Other then leaving the country, I had to wait until the requisite 45 days (I think) before the end of the visa to apply for a marriage extension. None of this seemed to matter as I just did the job and nobody ever seemed to follow up the work permit requirements etc. etc.

It would certainly be a rarity for them to do it. You were lucky they agreed to do it. You also did not need to do it at that time since there is no requirement to keep the 800k baht in the bank for the entire year of your extension.

Immigration has to cancel your existing extension in order to change to another type of extension. They need a reason to cancel it and I can think of no valid reason for them to cancel an extension based upon retirement.

"Have you asked about getting a work permit on your retirement visa? Some places allow."

That's interesting. Which ones allow it?

Thanks, Terry

I have had a work permit, from Kalasin, Mukdahan, and Roi-et Provinces, all issued while I was living here on an extension of stay due to retirement.

"Have you asked about getting a work permit on your retirement visa? Some places allow."

Thanks, Terry

I have had a work permit, from Kalasin, Mukdahan, and Roi-et Provinces, all issued while I was living here on an extension of stay due to retirement.

Not the first time I've heard that, but definitely a rarity. It always seems like the teachers are more appreciated in Issan.

Thanks, Terry

Not the first time I've heard that, but definitely a rarity. It always seems like the teachers are more appreciated in Issan.

I seem to remember from a thread on TV that if they don't stamp your retirement extension 'No work permitted' then it's not a problem.

What if I arrive on a tourist visa and soon after get one based on marriage? Does that change the effort/hoops needed to be jumped through if I want to teach in Thailand?

What if I arrive on a tourist visa and soon after get one based on marriage? Does that change the effort/hoops needed to be jumped through if I want to teach in Thailand?

Arriving on a TV does not reduce the "effort" or the number of "hoops" required to obtain a visa/extension of stay based on marriage.

There are of course other "hoops" associated with teaching in Thailand, simple things like obtaining a Thai teaching licence etc.