Do computer internet plans usually come with unlimited data?

natenatenate

No one in CM seems to understand what I am trying to ask. When I ask how many GB I can download they keep referring me to the download and upload speeds of 25mps/8mbps. But I want to know if there is an upper cap to the total amount I can download. Are plans here usually with unlimited data and you're charged only by speed? For what it's worth, I'm with Sinet.

Thailand does not impose download limitations on normal computer internet plans - only on phone type plans is this an issue.

That said they will have fair usage limitations on the amount you can download per hour without possible speed controls being enforced. But for most people this is not an issue.

Edited by lopburi3

I have a (seemingly) unlimited plan with Sinet.

Sinet are good in some parts of the city .but not all areas where I am it is great.

They have a FB page (CM specific) which updates on outages and plans etc. You could try posting there for confirmation.

https://www.facebook.com/Sinet.Fttx.Chiangmai/

Also their call centre, have run them a few times and always been passed on quickly to an English speaker.

Contact on web page.(not all pages translated to English but most are).

http://www.sinetfttx.com/en/

When it has been hot I have been in running Iflix/Netflix and visiting a Pirate forsizeable Blue ray movies, kids do online gaming over holidays....so we are going through some gigs but never been charged for data just the flat fee.

'Unlimited' is one of the most abused terms in advertising.

They normally have a little asterix next to it, and ib very very small print "subject to fair usage policy" or some such fluff.

Your best bet is to go to the shop and get an English speaker, and ask them specifically about the packages available.

The brochures are normally in English.

Just had this brought to my attention by kids, Sinet related 1 hour ago on FB

For those interested in the new Sinet plans no problems in swapping to the new plans if you're not on contract (we swapped from 25/8 to 50/20, same 699 price as before), 7 days for them to process the change of the plan though.

The 899 baht 70/30 with the IPTV box and channels is only available if you sign a 6 month contract, and according to Sinet they dont currently have any boxes available but will soon :)

What the OP is trying to explain is how much bandwidth usage, including downloads and uploads per month does an ISP allow. Most packages, even the basic come with unlimited bandwidth as part of the deal.

Very easy to check. Here is a thread that will give the OP some idea of the ISPs in his area. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/684318-what-is-the-best-internet-service-provider-in-chiang-mai/

Then he can go into the ISPs websites and check how much bandwidth each package provides.

What the OP is trying to explain is how much bandwidth usage, including downloads and uploads per month does an ISP allow. Most packages, even the basic come with unlimited bandwidth as part of the deal.

Yeah, thats why they didn't understand his question. They do not understand the concept of monthly GB totals.

Yeah, thats why they didn't understand his question. They do not understand the concept of monthly GB totals.

Yet when I call AIS about my mobile Internet, they understand exactly what Gb means in the context of downloads.

Yet when I call AIS about my mobile Internet, they understand exactly what Gb means in the context of downloads.

Because it have always existed on mobile downloads here and never on hard lines like ADSL, fiber or what it is called now a days. So for the hard lines the call center guy have never heard about it but the call center guy at a phone computer he knows all about it since a unlimited plan has never existed and neither care about what the other guy does.

Thailand does not impose download limitations on normal computer internet plans - only on phone type plans is this an issue.

That said they will have fair usage limitations on the amount you can download per hour without possible speed controls being enforced. But for most people this is not an issue.

Regret, you are wrong: True's packages do have an upper limit for the higher speed. When you reach the limit the speed goes down to (a totally useless) 384 Kbps. To increase the speed you need to pay again, for example B 99 for 3G max speed 4 GB for 15 days.

Regret, you are wrong: True's packages do have an upper limit for the higher speed. When you reach the limit the speed goes down to (a totally useless) 384 Kbps. To increase the speed you need to pay again, for example B 99 for 3G max speed 4 GB for 15 days.

Can you read?

I'm spanking a Sinet connection for 300-500 GB a month (I work with a lot of video) and having no issues. So while theoretically they might throttle you for massive data use; in reality - you'd really have to be going some to reach that point.

Yeah, fiber... do that on DSL and you'll be left with a trickle.