Im impressed with NETFLIX thailand. Glad to have cut the cord

davidst01

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt House of Cards in 4k and available in Thailand? And you can use unblockers on Smart Tvs or Apple TVs.

As I said earlier I download 4k series from Amazon and Netflix through torrents.

I don't see how to use a VPN on most Smart TV operating systems (except android). Plus only a few VPNs will work with Netflix. I think the best you can do for the variety and ease of use is 1080. Which brings up if only 1% of content is available in 4k why buy a 4k TV. Or are the picture enhancers available really worth it? What I read says they are mostly marketing hype.

I said UNBLOCKER not vpn. Obviously you dont know what an unblocker is. Just change the dns on your tv/box and you're ready to watch Netflix International. But unblockers face the same problems as vpns.

Furthermore if you have a DD-WRT router you can put a vpn in the router and it works for ANY device on your network.

I really dont understand your posts. You said you were watching a 4k movie yet you wonder if its sensible to buy a 4k tv.

And you arent really reading my posts well as I said that quite a few series are available as torrent downloads.

Edited by sniffdog

I said UNBLOCKER not vpn. Obviously you dont know what an unblocker is. Just change the dns on your tv/box and you're ready to watch Netflix International. But unblockers face the same problems as vpns.

Furthermore if you have a DD-WRT router you can put a vpn in the router and it works for ANY device on your network.

I really dont understand your posts. You said you were watching a 4k movie yet you wonder if its sensible to buy a 4k tv.

And you arent really reading my posts well as I said that quite a few series are available as torrent downloads.

Why you trying to start a fight? You said noob about 4K on Kodi and that's no problem and you said plugins but meant addons. I think you are the noob. I have a 4K ultra wide screen curved monitor attached to my computer that I watch 4 k movies on. And I have a 4K tv that is attached to another computer that I watch 4K content on.

The problem is watching Netflix 4K content with a VPN on a TV and you are correct I could do it with the router. I just didn't want to mess with it because my VPN is on again off again with Netflix and I'm not sure I'm keeping them.

Try not to be so aggressive and calling people names. Gee, I think everyone just wants to learn or help one another here.

I'm thinking about buying another TV but want an OS more like my Win 10 on the smart TV so it can adapt to changes.

Edited by Scotwight

I have 3BB fiber 100 Mbps plan. And with my VPN, I can get a very stable +-10 Mbps stream from the U.S. as measured by Netflix's Fast.com website -- even in primetime -- which is plenty fast enough for good quality HD.

Of course, I could get the 20-25 Mbps locally needed for 4K from a Netflix Thai account. But then, I'd be missing out on a lot of the U.S.-only content.

Until the disparity between the content available in the two versions is closed, I opted for a larger catalog in HD vs. a smaller catalog with some playable 4K.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I have 3BB fiber 100 Mbps plan. And with my VPN, I can get a very stable +-10 Mbps stream from the U.S. as measured by Netflix's Fast.com website -- even in primetime -- which is plenty fast enough for good quality HD.

Of course, I could get the 20-25 Mbps locally needed for 4K from a Netflix Thai account. But then, I'd be missing out on a lot of the U.S.-only content.

Until the disparity between the content available in the two versions is closed, I opted for a larger catalog in HD vs. a smaller catalog with some playable 4K.

I agree with you. And you can still enjoy the 4k if you go the torrent way. And not only Netflix but also Amazon.

Which vpn are you still using succesfully?

Getting my 3bb 100mbs on Wednesday. Looking forward testing the various ways of downloading. Might even get another usenet account (apart from my seedbox).

Edited by sniffdog

I skipped on a 4K set recently, opting to get a new regular full HD set for a modest price, and wait until the next purchase for HDR, lower prices and hopefully faster international internet coming in the future.

I understand that downloading is a viable alternative, but it's one I choose not to mess with. I'm a 100% streaming guy.

PM'd you re VPNs.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Plugin sources are add-ons for Kodi that provide a media listing for the user. They are currently written in python, and can provide video, music, image or executable content. Once a user installs your plugin source, it will automatically show up in the appropriate section(s) within Kodi based on the content it provides.

From kodi's own wiki ...

Plugin sources are add-ons for Kodi that provide a media listing for the user. They are currently written in python, and can provide video, music, image or executable content. Once a user installs your plugin source, it will automatically show up in the appropriate section(s) within Kodi based on the content it provides.

From kodi's own wiki ...

You should not try and confuse people to cover your mistake. Plugin sources are not the same as addons. The term plugin is not used interchangeably with addons on Kodi.

Plugin sources are add-ons for Kodi that provide a media listing for the user.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_development

This discussion is relevant to Netflix as Kodi is an alternative to Netflix and to understand and try it out you should have a familiarity with Kodi terms one of which is addon. Not plug in. Kodi is the frame and the addons are what enable you to watch different things such as movies and sports and TV shows. Exodus is the current addon favorite. A normal user would have no use for the photo attached or to know anything about a plugin source.

post-246924-0-13386100-1465208968_thumb.

Edited by Scotwight

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard of iflix before but having read about it here I've been trying it out for the last few days (they give you a 30-day free trial before you have to subscribe).

It's not only available on Android and iOS - they have a website so you can use it from any web-connected device which would include smart TV's (so long as they have web browsing capability). Also, as far as I can tell, the quality of the picture is just as good as Netflix (based on my experience when I have used it in the UK). It occasionally drops down to a lower quality picture if it detects a slowish internet speed but that has only happened to me once or twice over the last several days and it always reverts back to high quality after a few seconds.

Where it falls down for me, is the lack of up to date content. They appear to be at least one season behind on all the TV series that they have and I didn't see any particularly recent movies on offer. But for 100 Baht a month (or 88 Baht a month if you pay for a year up front) I still think it's worth it, especially to get legal content.

They also offer Thai language subtitles for almost all their content which is an advantage if you frequently watch TV with a Thai speaker or speakers who cannot always pick up on 100% of all the dialogue on English language shows. There is also a certain amount of Thai language content although not an awful lot of the more popular stuff at least based on the preferences of the people I know.

I have a browser on my smart tv but unfortunately it doesn't work with Iflix. If you try to stream in the browser it gives an error message ... Oops something went wrong. Same thing with the browser on my android box. I guess that is because Iflix uses Microsoft technology which doesn't work on non window machines.

I have to use a hdmi cable. And I seriously doubt Iflix supports 1080p as what Netflix does.

Edited by sniffdog

I hadn't heard of iflix before but having read about it here I've been trying it out for the last few days (they give you a 30-day free trial before you have to subscribe).

It's not only available on Android and iOS - they have a website so you can use it from any web-connected device which would include smart TV's (so long as they have web browsing capability). Also, as far as I can tell, the quality of the picture is just as good as Netflix (based on my experience when I have used it in the UK). It occasionally drops down to a lower quality picture if it detects a slowish internet speed but that has only happened to me once or twice over the last several days and it always reverts back to high quality after a few seconds.

Where it falls down for me, is the lack of up to date content. They appear to be at least one season behind on all the TV series that they have and I didn't see any particularly recent movies on offer. But for 100 Baht a month (or 88 Baht a month if you pay for a year up front) I still think it's worth it, especially to get legal content.

They also offer Thai language subtitles for almost all their content which is an advantage if you frequently watch TV with a Thai speaker or speakers who cannot always pick up on 100% of all the dialogue on English language shows. There is also a certain amount of Thai language content although not an awful lot of the more popular stuff at least based on the preferences of the people I know.

iFlix supports a max resolution of 480P - their whole business model is low cost & low bandwidth for developing nations. It doesn't look as terrible as that sounds, so long as your screen is reasonably small, but it's nowhere near the picture or sound quality of Netflix with a decent net connection - Netflix has a max resolution of 1080P/4K depending on your plan, and supports Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

The iFlix Android app is nothing but their webpage, and is absolutely awful to use with a normal Android box remote control. On touch screens it's usable though, but some of the links are a bit small. Don't expect an experience like the Netflix app.

But you say, there's not much to lose when you're paying just 88/100 THB/month though wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Why would anyone pay for either Netflix or Iflix when they can get Kodi for free and watch anything you want.

Why would anyone buy anything from 7-11 when you can just stuff it in your jacket and steal it?

Because you don't get the little square vouchers then and my wife is always asking if I kept my vouchers !!

• 7 months later...

For those who haven't been paying attention, Netflix, at least for its U.S. accounts, has begun allowing program downloads via its Android and IOS apps.

I had a flight back to the U.S. in December, and downloaded an entire season of "Narcos" to my Android tablet to watch on the long plane ride. Downloaded and played without a hitch.  With the Android app, you also have the option to save the downloaded files to your device's SD card instead of to its internal memory.

I don't have a Netflix Thailand account, so I can't speak to whether it has the same functionality.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-netflix-shows-on-android-sd-card-iphone/

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For those who haven't been paying attention, Netflix, at least for its U.S. accounts, has begun allowing program downloads via its Android and IOS apps.

I had a flight back to the U.S. in December, and downloaded an entire season of "Narcos" to my Android tablet to watch on the long plane ride. Downloaded and played without a hitch.  With the Android app, you also have the option to save the downloaded files to your device's SD card instead of to its internal memory.

I don't have a Netflix Thailand account, so I can't speak to whether it has the same functionality.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-netflix-shows-on-android-sd-card-iphone/

Ive been downloading from my Thai account ever since it started up here, I use Internet Download Manager.

1 hour ago, 01322521959 said:

Thai expat and YouTube are all I need together with my 22 year old JVC CRT TV is all I need. :)

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

58 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

Agree with you. I've had thai expat since late 2012. Wouldn't change it for the world. Brilliant!!

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Its nice that you agree with yourself.

On 02/06/2016 at 6:06 PM, sniffdog said:

Truevisions is totally different from Netflix or Iflix. Truevisions is a collection of tv channels like cnn, bbc or hbo. Netflix and Iflix is a collection of series and movies.

Iflix is very limited in terms of connectivity. You can only use it on android or ios devices. If you have a tv (either smart or dumb) you need a chromecast (or similar) or an hdmi cable. Also the quality is not as good as Netflix HD hence the low monthly fee.

You can watch iFlix on a laptop also and sling to the TV.