Tiger’s hides and amulets seized from a truck leaving Tiger’s Temple

webfact

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has happened to Buddism in Thailand?

I have lost all faith respect for anything to do with monks/temples e.t.c.

MONEY is all monks care about these days MONEY.

Who can get the most money either legally or illegally.

Nothing matters to monks anymore except getting more money than the next monk.

Money from credit unions, money from cheating people, money from keeping/ killing endangered animals.

Yet you speak to poor Thais and they still will not say anything bad about Monks and will still keep on donating money and things they can't afford.

Money from credit unions, money from cheating people, money from keeping/ killing endangered animals.

There is no way anyone can defend or condone what has happened here and the people involved.

However, to tarnish all Buddhists with the same brush is a mindset that is based on that something or someone is either 100% good or 100% bad, with nothing in between. It's often termed "black or white thinking", where there are no shades of grey in between. There are good and bad people everywhere, including the Buddhist sanga, and the degree of their goodness, or badness, varies, just like shades of grey do.

to find out if there is any place where protected wild animals are raised.

Maybe they can start with the Sriracha tiger zoo.

The Animal Welfare Institute reported in 2004 that the zoo had been using tigers and elephants in circus shows, including tigers leaping through rings of fire, walking across a double tightrope, parading around a ring on hind legs, and riding on horseback.[2] AWI reported "potentially dangerous human-tiger and human-elephant close interaction", "bizarre multi-species enclosures", tigers being struck with steel poles by trainers and implications that tigers were being bred for export to China.[2] Wikipedia

Edited by tuanku

Its two pages ago, but that last article posted says the police are demanding and investigation. Of course! Because everything and everyone has escaped! It was months and months of trying to take the tigers away and now another week of gathering all the evidence!! The culprits are long gone, so good time to start!

The whole place should have been locked down a long time ago.

begs the question, under who's patronage and protection this temple is?

I really would like to elaborate regarding the Sangha in general but I am unable here on ThaiVisa.

I've lived and worked in three Buddhist countries for almost 15 years and nowhere have I seen so much corruption and criminal activities as in Buddhist temples and among Buddhist monks in Thailand. Monkhood in Thailand is just a path to riches and an escape from legal and moral obligations

You should hang out or visit at some local rural temples to see less corrupted versions of Buddhism in Thailand.

Since my first post I am very sorry to read a lot of the ongoing posts which distract from the the main topic.

I've got no idea how catholic priests enter this debate or other posts that seem to side track this ongoing storey .

Yes we all know about the Chinese culture and superstitions and we all know corrupt monks but in stating your opinions please understand that even though these events happen in all sorts of situations highlighting certain religious or certain beleifs from all over the world..

Yep see my post and I stand by it but there are Monks out there doing great work in their communities whether we have faith or not is not relevant . It's the essence of whatever faith you have or even as a devout atheist it's just being a decent human being that counts.

Edited by The stuttering parrot

It seems clear to me that there are a number of concerns that should be investigated in this case, not only from a strict, legal point of view, but from a Buddhist moral point of view.

I'd consider the following activities to be unconscionable for any Buddhist monk or Buddhist temple organisation to engage in.

(1) Deliberately killing, or assisting in the killing, of any creature for whatever reason, whether it be a tiger, a chicken or a worm in the ground.

(2) Dispatching or assisting in the trading of a live animal to another party, in the knowledge that it would be slaughtered for whatever purpose.

(3) Using money gained from such transactions in order to increase personal wealth.

(4) Cruel treatment of the tigers, or any animal, whilst they are in captivity.

However, one aspect of this situation I find a bit puzzling is the implication that tigers are in a special category which excludes them from being bred for commercial purposes. I can only assume that the reason for this is that the tiger is a cat, and although a vicious and predatory cat that will instinctively eat humans for breakfast, is nevertheless a cat. People love their cats. wink.png

We breed crocodiles for their meat, and their skin to make expensive handbags. We have fish farms, chicken farms and cow farms galore, yet no-one would suggest that these creatures are in danger of becoming an endangered species as a result of the promotion of increased demand through farming. When a species of fish in the ocean becomes in short supply, the farming of that fish helps alleviate the problem.

I would think, if the farming of tigers is done efficiently on a large enough scale, the poaching of tigers in Nature Reserves would become less economical rather than more economical, and this would result in a preservation of the tiger in the wild because the low price on offer would reduce the incentive to poach in the face of the severe penalties for poaching.

The same thing happened in Christianity centuries ago... priests spending all their time selling 'indulgences' and cardinals becoming wealthy landowners, etc. It was part of the impetus for the Reformation. Perhaps with the spate of corruption and misbehaviour cases involving monks in Thailand there will finally be a drive to reform the sangha there... or perhaps I'm being naive. Still, one can only hope...

Attention Buddha Bashers: Imagine a WestVisa website popular among Thias. Now imagine a news item about the concealment from the civil authorities of child-molesting priests by a disgustingly filthy rich Farang religion. Maybe an item about the victimization of the elderly, lonely and desperate by evangelical TV thieves, or perhaps an item about Freddie Phelps' Christians demonstrating their hate for Gays.

Draw some interesting comments, huh?

(let the tap-dancing begin)

Yeah, WOULD be drawing some interesting comments from ME and other "farang" as well!

What is your point?

That Thais obviously do not give 2 hot sh1ts about all of this?

Edited by DM07

I just don't know any more. I never really understood Thailand inasmuch as I could never really relate to the mindset at all but the criminal and venal nature of Thais seems to know no bounds since Prayuth and his merry band of robbers took over. It must mean something...

It's almost as if we're on a bicycle ride to being a failed state and somebody stole the brakes. Law and order is falling apart faster than you can say "let's make a quick buck". Perhaps the likelihood of being nabbed by either of what are probably the 2 biggest and most criminal mafias in Thailand are so low that the risk becomes worth it. I just don't know any more...

This place is very quickly becoming a bit of a worry and every day it seems to be going downhill faster.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Nothing. Same same, business as usual. It's just things are more likely to be reported and shared nowadays. They're not all up to no good, but the baht will always be a tempter for even the most sure mind. As soon as you see a long-term monk using a phone or doing anything other than observing the tenets of Buddhism, he is not a monk.

If this doesn't shut them down for good, what will it take?

Lots more international exposure regarding the fact of this and the fact that they are now advertising that although the temple is closed, visitors can now go to their new location at a 'safari park'! Shocking!

1. 18 retweets9 likes
    Retweeted
    Liked
    More
  2. If you have followed my posts over the last week and are shocked. This #TigerTemple was issued a legal zoo license only a few weeks ago!

63 retweets38 likes
    Retweeted
    More
  3. ...and more found at the #TigerTemple today... No comments.

CkCA-4MUYAAtGBT.jpg
    51 retweets16 likes
    Retweet
    More
  4. 9 tigers have just left the temple. The last 9 tigers (out of 137) to be removed tomorrow. #thailand #TigerTemple

CkBmY6tUUAIf0qN.jpg
    34 retweets21 likes
    Retweet
    More
  5. Thank you @TheBigChilliMag for your years of support to our cause! Who would have known it was gonna happen so quick

CkBn7nUUkAAQZws.jpg
    29 retweets34 likes
    Retweeted
    More
  6. DNP rangers found dead body of a leopard and a bear today in another freezer at #TigerTemple. The drama doesn't stop.

38 retweets6 likes
    Retweet
    More
  7. @CodSatrusayang @EdwinWiek one of the guards told me Luang Ta is still in premises of #tigertemple.

View conversation
    3 retweets2 likes
    Retweet
    More
  8. Tomorrow in the news: Zoo license of Tiger Temple Co. Ltd. will not be revoked. #Thailand

5 retweets1 like
    Retweet
    More
  9. Wildlife officials overseeing #TigerTemple operation say that some of removed tigers just gave birth but no signs of cubs at temple.

18 retweets3 likes
    Retweet
    More
  10. Scale of criminality at #Thailand #TigerTemple has emerged & it's staggering. Tourists & those who made films glorifying the scam, take note

48 retweets30 likes
    Retweet
    More
  11. Discovery of 70 dead #tiger cubs plus skins, talismans in #Thailand Buddhist temple is "a shock," says @UNEP @UNODC joint statement.

32 retweets7 likes
    Retweeted
    More
  12. Saga of Thai tiger temple horror ongoing: 50 more dead tiger cubs found in jars https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeFriendsFoundation/posts/10153482236162657:0

CkADjc3VEAA36iv.jpg
    35 retweets6 likes
    Retweet
    More
  13. Ok ready for this one?: One of the arrested man with tiger parts at #TigerTemple yesterday seems to be a Border Police Officer...

38 retweets18 likes
    Retweeted
    More

Edited by dageurreotype

If they used a good portion of the money to help some of the mothers I have seen there holding children panhandling then I'd say the using the Tigers to generate income was justifiable.

I used to be critical of the idea of the Catholic church accepting money for sins, but when you think of the charity work done with that money. As a deist, it's probably a function of Higher Power and inspiration to satisfy the needs of the poor.

If they used a good portion of the money to help some of the mothers I have seen there holding children panhandling then I'd say the using the Tigers to generate income was justifiable.

I used to be critical of the idea of the Catholic church accepting money for sins, but when you think of the charity work done with that money. As a deist, it's probably a function of Higher Power and inspiration to satisfy the needs of the poor.

Has nothing to do with the issues here and I believe you really have no idea what has been going on in the temple for the last 15 to 20 years.....

Catalogue everything illegal burn it then demolish the temple as it was used for nothing else but a money making exercise to profit off the suffering and exploitation of these beautiful animals.

Nothing to do with the Buddhist faith and for those who have lost their jobs well off to the bangkok Hilton to reflect on what cruelty they have inflicted on these noble beasts for some superstitious beliefs ,

There is nothing superstitious about an illicit and bogus business except that it was based on supplying a market which in turn is based on "superstition" and quackery. This was Business !

Rather than demolish maybe be better to maintain the facility in a genuine mode and as part of the attraction add a Museum of Horrors including large pictures of all and any even remotely originally found to be guilty.

Such a facility would retain International support, continueas a Tourist attraction and save more face for Thailand than demolition and subsequent attempts to pretend it never happened.

It seems clear to me that there are a number of concerns that should be investigated in this case, not only from a strict, legal point of view, but from a Buddhist moral point of view.
I'd consider the following activities to be unconscionable for any Buddhist monk or Buddhist temple organisation to engage in.
(1) Deliberately killing, or assisting in the killing, of any creature for whatever reason, whether it be a tiger, a chicken or a worm in the ground.
(2) Dispatching or assisting in the trading of a live animal to another party, in the knowledge that it would be slaughtered for whatever purpose.
(3) Using money gained from such transactions in order to increase personal wealth.
However, one aspect of this situation I find a bit puzzling is the implication that tigers are in a special category which excludes them from being bred for commercial purposes. I can only assume that the reason for this is that the tiger is a cat, and although a vicious and predatory cat that will instinctively eat humans for breakfast, is nevertheless a cat. People love their cats. wink.png
We breed crocodiles for their meat, and their skin to make expensive handbags. We have fish farms, chicken farms and cow farms galore, yet no-one would suggest that these creatures are in danger of becoming an endangered species as a result of the promotion of increased demand through farming. When a species of fish in the ocean becomes in short supply, the farming of that fish helps alleviate the problem.
I would think, if the farming of tigers is done efficiently on a large enough scale, the poaching of tigers in Nature Reserves would become less economical rather than more economical, and this would result in a preservation of the tiger in the wild because the low price on offer would reduce the incentive to poach in the face of the severe penalties for poaching.

The issue is that these animals are indeed in a special catagory as a protected species. And the facility was being operated under the auspices of a charitably funded zoo for the sake of preservation." Farming" such species as crocodile, fish, chickens etc as an example strikes me as invalid justification. Crocodile farms or any other can and do also offer themselves as Tourist Attractions but do so without inviting funding under the guise of being a zoo.

I can accept that "farming" tiger could be as viable as crocodile but fortunately for tiger as both a protected species and no evidence of any valid reason to raise them for slaughter it would fly in the face of Internation laws. Besides which the reality of having perhaps multiple large scale farms containg a large number of indeed potentially dangerous fast moving predators might create some containment concern with near neighbours! tongue.png

The issue is that these animals are indeed in a special catagory as a protected species. And the facility was being operated under the auspices of a charitably funded zoo for the sake of preservation." Farming" such species as crocodile, fish, chickens etc as an example strikes me as invalid justification. Crocodile farms or any other can and do also offer themselves as Tourist Attractions but do so without inviting funding under the guise of being a zoo.

I can accept that "farming" tiger could be as viable as crocodile but fortunately for tiger as both a protected species and no evidence of any valid reason to raise them for slaughter it would fly in the face of Internation laws. Besides which the reality of having perhaps multiple large scale farms containg a large number of indeed potentially dangerous fast moving predators might create some containment concern with near neighbours! tongue.png

The saltwater crocodile in Australia is a protected species in the wild. Hunting is forbidden. However there are numerous crocodile farms in Australia that breed crocodiles to sell their skins. The existence of these farms is claimed to take the pressure off the crocodiles in the wild, which might otherwise be hunted for their valuable skins which can sometimes end up be used to create $50,000 handbags. rolleyes.gif
Here's an interesting article on one such farm, run by someone who's a wildlife conservationist.
"Hartley’s owner-operator Angela Freeman walks over to a shed where she raises up to 1000 hatchlings a year, from egg incubator to temperature-controlled hatchling tub to concrete holding pen. “Some NT farms are into the 20,000 [hatchling] bracket or more,” she says.
She and her husband, Peter, have created a boutique “zero environmental impact” farm. Recycled water. Recycled sewage systems. Fewer skins, better quality, with production methods that attract increasingly ethical fashion buyers. She’s a passionate wildlife conservationist whose job entails skinning 1000 crocodiles a year.
“It’s amazing,” says Hartley’s farm manager, Nick Stevens. “We’ll be feeding our [crocodiles] chicken heads one minute and the next we’ll have the directors of Hermès or Louis Vuitton here talking about $50,000 handbags.”
Why not adopt the same approach with tigers?

The saltwater crocodile in Australia is a protected species in the wild. Hunting is forbidden. However there are numerous crocodile farms in Australia that breed crocodiles to sell their skins. The existence of these farms is claimed to take the pressure off the crocodiles in the wild, which might otherwise be hunted for their valuable skins which can sometimes end up be used to create $50,000 handbags. rolleyes.gif
Here's an interesting article on one such farm, run by someone who's a wildlife conservationist.
"Hartley’s owner-operator Angela Freeman walks over to a shed where she raises up to 1000 hatchlings a year, from egg incubator to temperature-controlled hatchling tub to concrete holding pen. “Some NT farms are into the 20,000 [hatchling] bracket or more,” she says.
She and her husband, Peter, have created a boutique “zero environmental impact” farm. Recycled water. Recycled sewage systems. Fewer skins, better quality, with production methods that attract increasingly ethical fashion buyers. She’s a passionate wildlife conservationist whose job entails skinning 1000 crocodiles a year.
“It’s amazing,” says Hartley’s farm manager, Nick Stevens. “We’ll be feeding our [crocodiles] chicken heads one minute and the next we’ll have the directors of Hermès or Louis Vuitton here talking about $50,000 handbags.”
Why not adopt the same approach with tigers?

The situation is not the same.

The Salty is NOT an ENDANGERED species in Australia. The reason for this is the protection of the croc in Oz has been successful. The Tiger in S.E Asia is in a completely different situation (as is the salty in Thailand for that matter). the effect of farming tigers has a negative effect on the situation with the animals in the wild. This isn't simply a game of counting how many tigers there are - it is about having the functioning eco-systems in which tigers are the apex predators.

There is also a huge difference between farming a reptile like a croc and a mammal like the Tiger.

There is also a huge difference between farming a reptile like a croc and a mammal like the Tiger.

We know that a tiger is not the same as a crocodile, but they are both dangerous creatures which are difficult to manage. I have never visited a crocodile farm where visitors are allowed to stroke the crocodiles or cuddle up to them, but it seems this is possible with the tiger. I can't see why breeding tigers in captivity should be more difficult, over all, than breeding crocodiles in captivity, although the challenges are obviously different.

The Salty is NOT an ENDANGERED species in Australia. The reason for this is the protection of the croc in Oz has been successful.

It certainly was an endangered species before farming began. Between 1946 and about 1958, something like 80,000 skins went out. And then the hunting just kept on going. The crocodile population plummeted. By the 1970s, the animals were in danger of extinction in Australia.

The Tiger in S.E Asia is in a completely different situation (as is the salty in Thailand for that matter). the effect of farming tigers has a negative effect on the situation with the animals in the wild. This isn't simply a game of counting how many tigers there are - it is about having the functioning eco-systems in which tigers are the apex predators.

Again, it's obvious that one can't have animals in the wild if there's no wild. One has to have protected reservation areas for them to breed naturally and roam around. However, if there is a market for the animal product, as there is for both crocodiles and tigers, then meeting the demand for the animal products should relieve the pressure on the animals in the wild, from poachers.
The idea that farming tigers in order to meet the demand for its skins and other products would have a negative effect on animals in the wild, simply doesn't make sense. That's what's puzzling me.
Here's a bit of history from Wikipedia relating to the alligator. Highlights in bold are mine.
"Though not truly domesticated, alligators and crocodiles have been bred in farms since at least the early 20th century. Most of these early businesses, such as St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park, established in 1893, were farms in name only, primarily keeping alligators and crocodiles as a tourist attraction. Only in the 1960s did commercial operations that either harvested eggs from the wild or bred alligators on-site begin to appear. This was largely driven by diminishing stocks of wild alligators, which had been hunted nearly to extinction by that time.
Farming alligators and crocodiles first grew out of the demand for skins, which can fetch hundreds of dollars each. But alligator and crocodile meat, long a part of Southern cooking (especially Cajun cuisine)[5] and some Asian and African cuisines, began to be sold and shipped to markets unfamiliar with crocodilian meat. Chinese cuisine based on traditional Chinese medicine considers the meat to be a curative food for colds and cancer prevention, although there is no scientific evidence to support this.
Alligator farming has minimal adverse effects on the environment, and has at least two positive direct effects on alligator conservation. Because the luxury goods industry has a reliable stream of product, illegal poaching is reduced. Juvenile crocodilians can also be released into the wild to support a steady population. Wild alligator conservation has also benefited indirectly from farming. Ranching businesses protect alligator habitats to take care of nesting sites. The fiscal incentive to keep a healthy environment for breeding alligators means that the environment and its wildlife are seen as an economic resource. This can augment the government’s willingness to take care of crocodilian populations.
Animals other than crocodilians may benefit from a similar application of sustainable and ethical farming."

We know that a tiger is not the same as a crocodile, but they are both dangerous creatures which are difficult to manage. I have never visited a crocodile farm where visitors are allowed to stroke the crocodiles or cuddle up to them, but it seems this is possible with the tiger. I can't see why breeding tigers in captivity should be more difficult, over all, than breeding crocodiles in captivity, although the challenges are obviously different.

The Salty is NOT an ENDANGERED species in Australia. The reason for this is the protection of the croc in Oz has been successful.

It certainly was an endangered species before farming began. Between 1946 and about 1958, something like 80,000 skins went out. And then the hunting just kept on going. The crocodile population plummeted. By the 1970s, the animals were in danger of extinction in Australia.

The Tiger in S.E Asia is in a completely different situation (as is the salty in Thailand for that matter). the effect of farming tigers has a negative effect on the situation with the animals in the wild. This isn't simply a game of counting how many tigers there are - it is about having the functioning eco-systems in which tigers are the apex predators.

Again, it's obvious that one can't have animals in the wild if there's no wild. One has to have protected reservation areas for them to breed naturally and roam around. However, if there is a market for the animal product, as there is for both crocodiles and tigers, then meeting the demand for the animal products should relieve the pressure on the animals in the wild, from poachers.
The idea that farming tigers in order to meet the demand for its skins and other products would have a negative effect on animals in the wild, simply doesn't make sense. That's what's puzzling me.
Here's a bit of history from Wikipedia relating to the alligator. Highlights in bold are mine.
"Though not truly domesticated, alligators and crocodiles have been bred in farms since at least the early 20th century. Most of these early businesses, such as St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park, established in 1893, were farms in name only, primarily keeping alligators and crocodiles as a tourist attraction. Only in the 1960s did commercial operations that either harvested eggs from the wild or bred alligators on-site begin to appear. This was largely driven by diminishing stocks of wild alligators, which had been hunted nearly to extinction by that time.
Farming alligators and crocodiles first grew out of the demand for skins, which can fetch hundreds of dollars each. But alligator and crocodile meat, long a part of Southern cooking (especially Cajun cuisine)[5] and some Asian and African cuisines, began to be sold and shipped to markets unfamiliar with crocodilian meat. Chinese cuisine based on traditional Chinese medicine considers the meat to be a curative food for colds and cancer prevention, although there is no scientific evidence to support this.
Alligator farming has minimal adverse effects on the environment, and has at least two positive direct effects on alligator conservation. Because the luxury goods industry has a reliable stream of product, illegal poaching is reduced. Juvenile crocodilians can also be released into the wild to support a steady population. Wild alligator conservation has also benefited indirectly from farming. Ranching businesses protect alligator habitats to take care of nesting sites. The fiscal incentive to keep a healthy environment for breeding alligators means that the environment and its wildlife are seen as an economic resource. This can augment the government’s willingness to take care of crocodilian populations.
Animals other than crocodilians may benefit from a similar application of sustainable and ethical farming."

You seem to think there is a link between the farming of Salties and conservation - there isn't - farming has been done in Oz since the 19th C......the crocs have regained there status because of conservation of their environment.

you seem to be franticly googling to find stuff you think supports your claims - what it shows is that you don't understand the basic issues - there is a difference between "search" and "research" - may I suggest you get a grounding in the topic first - it will reduce to mount of nonsense and cut and paste you need to do.

I don't have time at present but just about every aspect of your argument is flawed - largely because you don't know what you are looking for - you are just hoping that some of your cut and pastes might support your stance.

A real opinion is derived from research - you just have a prejudged position and post that, you are looking round for items to support it - you are doing it backwards.

start again at the beginning and you'll get a much better picture

You seem to think there is a link between the farming of Salties and conservation - there isn't - farming has been done in Oz since the 19th C......the crocs have regained there status because of conservation of their environment.

you seem to be franticly googling to find stuff you think supports your claims - what it shows is that you don't understand the basic issues - there is a difference between "search" and "research" - may I suggest you get a grounding in the topic first - it will reduce to mount of nonsense and cut and paste you need to do.

I don't have time at present but just about every aspect of your argument is flawed - largely because you don't know what you are looking for - you are just hoping that some of your cut and pastes might support your stance.

A real opinion is derived from research - you just have a prejudged position and post that, you are looking round for items to support it - you are doing it backwards.

start again at the beginning and you'll get a much better picture

Sorry! I only deal with facts, and opinions that are supported by facts.
All the googling I've done on this issue is simply to find authoritative sources which address the issue, so that I might learn if there is some evidence that implies that farming and breeding an endangered species has a negative effect on the survival of that species in the wild.
I can find no such evidence that farming animals has a negative effect on their survival in the wild. If you can find the evidence, then please provide a link, not a link to a mere opinion, but a link to to real evidence.
It is understood that farming alone will not ensure the survival of a species in the wild. I've never suggested this is the case. A ban on the hunting of the endangered species is of course necessary. The farming of the animal, in an efficient manner, which should reduce the price of the product, simply makes poaching, with the risk of prosecution, less attractive.
What's the problem? Surely that's not difficult to understand.