Using foreign currency for 800k THB retirement extension

It's all getting a bit weird I'm starting to think we were separated at birth!

I agree with pretty much all your views and do my banking in Thailand with Bangkok Bank so I will heed your warning about Oz Forex I must confess I did not explore Bangkok Bank money transfer with large numbers just their advertised rate.

Currently I still have mortgages running so money is best parked in my offset account. I won't bore you with the details but I have my home investment stuff under control for the minute.

And like you I also Marvel at people chastising others for being frugal after all it is why we are able to retire at 52.

I appreciate you taking the time for a thorough answer and as questions come the mind I will no doubt take you up on your kind offer of advice as it sounds like we think with a similar brain.

Cheers Kanga

No probs mate. I'm in no way 100% sure what I'm doing is right but I've put a lot of thought into it and best I can come up with. I've put many posts on TV looking for alternative views or ideas and to date haven't had any. Other thing is don't come here and fall in love with the first girl you meet and under no circumstances buy property in a ladies name, no matter how sweet she is. I've heard it said many times on here. Don't meet a girl and go back and live in her village or town. Do it the other way around. Find where u want to live, then find ur girl. Preferably a lady with an education, a good job and a supportive family.

Too late for that but without going into detail I was very happy with my single life before I met her.

I have been to Thailand more than 20 times and I here what you are saying it is sad that some dont test the authenticity of their relationship. Just willingly accept that some you hot piece of arse loves them when it has been so hard in the past.

But this is today tomorrow is another day...

Kenny202 , iamkanga: you both have very similar stories/plans to me. From Oz, Retire early, be sensible with funds, adapt thinking to Thai economy = 25b is not particularly cheap, stick to a budget, but also enjoy yourself and not live like a total cheap Charlie.

I'm only here for the pussy hahaha

What Thailand has girls facepalm.gif

I agree with pretty much all your views and do my banking in Thailand with Bangkok Bank so I will heed your warning about Oz Forex I must confess I did not explore Bangkok Bank money transfer with large numbers just their advertised rate.

Currently I still have mortgages running so money is best parked in my offset account. I won't bore you with the details but I have my home investment stuff under control for the minute.

And like you I also Marvel at people chastising others for being frugal after all it is why we are able to retire at 52.

I appreciate you taking the time for a thorough answer and as questions come the mind I will no doubt take you up on your kind offer of advice as it sounds like we think with a similar brain.

Cheers Kanga

No probs mate. I'm in no way 100% sure what I'm doing is right but I've put a lot of thought into it and best I can come up with. I've put many posts on TV looking for alternative views or ideas and to date haven't had any. Other thing is don't come here and fall in love with the first girl you meet and under no circumstances buy property in a ladies name, no matter how sweet she is. I've heard it said many times on here. Don't meet a girl and go back and live in her village or town. Do it the other way around. Find where u want to live, then find ur girl. Preferably a lady with an education, a good job and a supportive family.

Too late for that but without going into detail I was very happy with my single life before I met her.

I have been to Thailand more than 20 times and I here what you are saying it is sad that some dont test the authenticity of their relationship. Just willingly accept that some you hot piece of arse loves them when it has been so hard in the past.

Maybe we were born together? :-) Im the guy you described haha. Problem is you can test the authenticity of the relationship as much as you like for as long as you like. I knew mine 3 years before I moved here and lived with her in Australia for one year. Sweet girl. She changed dramatically when I came here to live. Thankfully I hadn't invested in a house etc

Cheers Kanga

Maybe we were born together? :-) Im the guy you described haha. Problem is you can test the authenticity of the relationship as much as you like for as long as you like. I knew mine 3 years before I moved here and lived with her in Australia for one year. Sweet girl. She changed dramatically when I came here to live. Thankfully I hadn't invested in a house etc

Well I know I'm preaching to the converted but apart from the support of living in my home and the other things that all women want there is no financial support I haven't busted my ass for over 30 years to give somebody else an easy ride. Like you say we are good at the moment but who knows where that will lead.

I should probably rephrase that I haven't busted my ass but I've made some smart decisions or rather lucky decisions!!!!

• 9 months later...

Kenny 202

I thought I would bump this thread.  I am currently researching a strategy similar to yours.  However, there appears to be one significant flaw in your calculations.  Let me elaborate.  Upon studying the fees and charges for Krungsri FCD accounts, there is a charge of 0.5 percent when withdrawing by way of electronic transfer.  Where is that factored into your equations?

• 1 month later...

I have a mate who does not have the Thai Baht 800,000 requirement in his account three months prior.  He does however have a Sterling FCD account.  Can this be taken into account as far as the financial requirements are concerned for renewal? 

9 minutes ago, phetchy said:

I have a mate who does not have the Thai Baht 800,000 requirement in his account three months prior.  He does however have a Sterling FCD account.  Can this be taken into account as far as the financial requirements are concerned for renewal? 

Yes he can at most immigration offices.

He will need a letter from the bank stating the amount in the account in baht on the date the letter is written based upon the exchange rate for that date.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, pieeyed said:

Can anyone confirm that using a USD account in a thai bank for retirement extension at Jomtien is still possible. Thanks.

I have seen no reports that they are not accepting foreign currency accounts for the extension.

Thanks as always Joe. I was told a few years ago at Chaeng Wattana that they would not accept my USD account to renew my extension. I guess it just depends which person you deal with at immigration. Cheers.

5 minutes ago, pieeyed said:

Thanks as always Joe. I was told a few years ago at Chaeng Wattana that they would not accept my USD account to renew my extension. I guess it just depends which person you deal with at immigration. Cheers.

More likely associated with the type of account held.Unless an account allows instant access to cash it will not be accepted for the purpose of securing an extension of stay.