Wii Or Ps3?

Turok

I'd love to pick up a Ps3 now and was offered one at Art/Gun MBk for 45,000. Can't justify it though as i still use the 360 a lot.

With regards to the link about backward compatability, i wouldn't be too bothered. No point spending a fortune on console if you are only going to play your old ps2 games on it.

Looking forward to the Nintendo though, i'll pick one up when it comes out and get the PS3 when the price drops a bit. This is where Nintendo should luck out... PS3 too pricey so many people will buy a Wii instead.

I saw a 60gb model at MBK going for 35k yesterday.

Now that it is out in the US I was able to create an online account (previously the account menu's had no english option). This meant I was also able to download some of the smaller online games (no PS1 titles out yet though)

Went online with Resistance last night and it was by FAR the smoothest online console game I've ever played. Maybe it was because all the other players were relatively close by (Japan) but it was completely lag free even at 40 players. All this was done using the PS3 wireless connection too!

The brutal truth though is that Resistance is the only game worth getting for PS3 till Feb 07. The 360 version of Ridge Racer is a better thought out game than the PS3. Graphically they are identical apart from ever so slightly better motion blur on PS3.

I don't mind though as Resistance is my favourite game so far this year (till Zelda arrives) and now I can play online it really has legs

Edited by Ian_B

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant wait to get the PS3, baby son broke my PS2 last year and it has been gathering dust waiting for the PS3. Not so keen to be forking out 50k for it though, will wait until its on general release in BKK, will it be compatible with UK format games and DVD?

The general release here might not be till 2008 or later. Europe is supposed to get the PS3 in Spring but there have been rumours of a further delay and so this may slip till late 2007.

The PS3 is all zone for PS3 games so US/Japanese/Euro games can play on any PS3

The DVD & blu ray movies are region coded though

will have to get one out of europe then, not waiting till 2008!

I'd love to pick up a Ps3 now and was offered one at Art/Gun MBk for 45,000. Can't justify it though as i still use the 360 a lot.

With regards to the link about backward compatability, i wouldn't be too bothered. No point spending a fortune on console if you are only going to play your old ps2 games on it.

Looking forward to the Nintendo though, i'll pick one up when it comes out and get the PS3 when the price drops a bit. This is where Nintendo should luck out... PS3 too pricey so many people will buy a Wii instead.

I saw a 60gb model at MBK going for 35k yesterday.

Now that it is out in the US I was able to create an online account (previously the account menu's had no english option). This meant I was also able to download some of the smaller online games (no PS1 titles out yet though)

Went online with Resistance last night and it was by FAR the smoothest online console game I've ever played. Maybe it was because all the other players were relatively close by (Japan) but it was completely lag free even at 40 players. All this was done using the PS3 wireless connection too!

The brutal truth though is that Resistance is the only game worth getting for PS3 till Feb 07. The 360 version of Ridge Racer is a better thought out game than the PS3. Graphically they are identical apart from ever so slightly better motion blur on PS3.

I don't mind though as Resistance is my favourite game so far this year (till Zelda arrives) and now I can play online it really has legs

35000......... they are coming down a little in price now which is good......

How do you get online with the PS3, does it come with the info in English. I tried to connect to xbox live once before (albeit a while back) but could not connect from Thailand.

What internet service are you running it through and is it a simple case of plug and play?

Heard COD3 was supposed to be good, Feb 07 seems a way off to wait for something decent.

May have to get a 360 just for Gears of War.

When you first switch on the PS3 it give you a list a languages to select. Once you select english all the system menus become english (even games if english is supported)

I tried to connect online when I first got it but all the sign-up details where in Japanese. However once the US release occurred an English language option became available. Then it was a 5 minute process and I have my username etc and can play online... easy as pie with wireless built right into the PS3

COD3 is supposed to be better on 360 BTW.... better framerates and more developed multiplayer.

Gamers:

Will be getting my Wii this week from MBK. Have it reserved. And yes, the new Zelda. Been working my wrist in all sorts of "manners" to get it ready for the new wiimote.

Picked up Yoshis Island for the DS. I really like the DS lite and its games. Most people consider them childish. I consider them clever and unique. Elite Beat Agents is an example of creative gameplay. In the end, gameplay wins out over graphics any day.

Turok

What;s the price of the Wii at MBK Turok ?

Just been to MBK, they had the PS3 selling at 30000, good deal already I think.

The Wii however the guy could get but at 25000, ridiculously overpriced. He said Thailand would get the Japanese version meaning you cant play European games.

Does anybody know if the Japanese one will work on a European TV as they use NTSC instead of PAL? Release in Japan is on December 2nd so should be more coming in after this date, cant wait.

Just been to MBK to collect my Wii and 5 games for it. Zelda had not arrived yet but they should have it tomorrow

As I hoped it is the US version they have, which means all my original Gamecube games will work on it

My Triforce of next-gen consoles is complete :o

Just been to MBK to collect my Wii and 5 games for it. Zelda had not arrived yet but they should have it tomorrow

As I hoped it is the US version they have, which means all my original Gamecube games will work on it

Nice, how much did it cost you and where did you get it?

The US version means you got the PAL one and got Wii sports included, how about games that will be released here, will they come from the US or from Japan? They cannot be used on both systems thats the problem.

Nice, how much did it cost you and where did you get it?

The US version means you got the PAL one and got Wii sports included, how about games that will be released here, will they come from the US or from Japan? They cannot be used on both systems thats the problem.

The US Wii plays NTSC games and it came with Wii Sports Free

Both US & Japanese games will be available here - you never ever see any PAL stuff anywhere (this goes for 360 too)

They did not have component cables or spare controller but they should have those next week

As for how much... lets just say i paid over the odds as usual! Put it this way... If I was broke and back home I would be one of those sad people who would camp out overnight to get each console at launch day

Sorry, you are right, US is NTSC.

No hope of ever bringing my Wii back to Europe then :o Heard convertors for NTSC-->PAL basically suck.

So games from the US and Japan, funny how the Thais always seem to get their stuff quickly from anywhere in the world. Which one would be the most common here then and how can you tell where the game is from?

Have fun playing

Sorry, you are right, US is NTSC.

No hope of ever bringing my Wii back to Europe then :o Heard convertors for NTSC-->PAL basically suck.

So games from the US and Japan, funny how the Thais always seem to get their stuff quickly from anywhere in the world. Which one would be the most common here then and how can you tell where the game is from?

Have fun playing

For Nintendo the US games have been the most common here (at least they were with the Gamecube)

My 360 is a PAL console. I picked it up during my annual Xmas leave last year. I do not want to mod it so I get my games sent from the UK. I order online through GAME and they arrive at my folks house on the Friday and they then post it via normal airmail for around 2-3 quid per game envelope and I have the game by the Monday. Very fast delivery IMHO

Edited by Ian_B

Funny though as Thailand is oficially a PAL country (and so is most of South East Asia). Maybe they will also start importing Wii's from Europe then after its release.

Most TV's here should be able to handle both though is that correct?

Let us know how you like the Wii. :o

Fellas:

Got my wii today. Break it down for u.

Wii console with Wii Sports - 22000

Rayman Game 2300

Super Monkey Ball 2300

1gb Sd Card 1200

27800 toatl

Not bad considering. They say at MBK will have Zelda tomorow.

Sure it may be double the price than getting from USA but add in Fed Ex and its not that much more in price.

They had 2 left as of 430 pm this afternoon.

Will get started on mastering the wii mote. Nice, can put away my Gamecube which is clunky. Gonna eat somr turkey leftovers and get gaming.

The Wii is compact and stylish. PS3 looks like a toaster.

Turok

I have a few SD cards lying around so am using them to save

I got Rayman, Tony Hawk Downhill Jam, Trauma Centre, Red Steel & Monkey Ball

All are fantastic fun apart from Red Steel - avoid this one as it is a dud

It is the console to get for families BTW - my wife LOVES the bowling game on Wii Sports and my little'un likes the boxing game (which he just gets by shaking both controllers like mad)

Can't wait for Zelda now

IanB:

Yea I read the reviews on Red Steel and decided to skip it. I am not too much into fighters unless it is Super Smash or Soul Calibur. The 2 games I picked up all rated well. I usually go to IGN.com for reviews and stick with 7.5 or above on games. I use Square Soft. I have spent alot of money with them. I will get Zelda tomorow and they also said they will have the extra wii motes.

Wondering if the Gamecube controllers will work with Wii games that require a normal controller. And for dowloaded games.

Having fun.

Turok

Just picked up my Wii at MBK, 19000 Baht, extra controller and Wifi USB connector, total 24.500 THB.

Really nice new gameplay. Just cannot connect to the internet yet, it tries to update but gives an 32004 error. Did you guys succeed in this yet?

Gamers:

Stiil, its cheaper than flying home and getting one or having the folks ship it Fed Ex from the USA.

If you can find one in the states, I am in Florida and their were long lines for them(PS3) when it was finally being released. People were waiting like 3 or 4 days for the shipments to come in. Crazy.

Get it in Thailand. It's $600 dollars in the States, I wish I could get it from Thailand.

Good Luck :o

Edited by DragonLad

Kenn

After I registered with Nintendo.com I was able to hook rite up. Able to connect to wii shop. Can get old games already with wii points. I have the USB adapter also. Absolute no probs. Had the adapter when I got my ds. I have 4 controllers now. Got Zelda also. Gonna get started on that mammoth adventure. Glad I made this purchase.

Turok

I got Zelda today too and am having a great time with it. It's good that each system has it's own distinct system seller (360 has Gears, PS3 has Resistance and Wii has Zelda)

Not bothered with the online stuff for Wii as I've got all the roms for all the emulated systems already (plus I bought them all first time round!) Must say that Rayman for Wii is the funniest game I've played in ages

Kenn

After I registered with Nintendo.com I was able to hook rite up. Able to connect to wii shop. Can get old games already with wii points. I have the USB adapter also. Absolute no probs. Had the adapter when I got my ds. I have 4 controllers now. Got Zelda also. Gonna get started on that mammoth adventure. Glad I made this purchase.

Turok

Mmm, still not able to connect, I switched of all my firewalls and anti virus and now the error is a 32002.

Could this be something on the ISP side? What do you have Turok, mine is True and I have a normal adsl modem here.

Just hope it's not one of those Wii's with problems that have to be replaced.

Kenn

I have Loxinfo. Have had no trouble at all. I logged on immediately. Don't know what to tell ya. Look online to see what the codes mean.

IanB

Wii has more system sellers than Zelda! The games u mentioned are not franchise games. I think Nintendo I think Mario, Zelda, and Metroid along with Pokemon, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc... None of the other systems has a franchise that carries it year after year like Nintendo.

Turok

Edited by Turok

Everything I checked seems to be ok except for one thing: my TRUE router. Just found out they placed their own firmware on there making it impossible to alter any settings.

And no way to get the firmware back to the orginal, oh well lets visit them again this week, maybe they are delighted somebody is not complaining about their speed for once :o

Ok, just visited True. As expected they had no idea what I was talking about, firmware, router, mai kau jai. They replaced my modem but this one also has the True firmware installed, no wonder you can buy these things from them after 1 year for 1 Baht, they are worthless if you're not using a True connection.

Just found this site however: http://www.thelordofwireless.com/modules.p...page&pid=56

Looks like they're explaining how to get rid of this True firmware.

I'm not even sure if this is the problem for not being able to connect my Wii but seems the most likely at the moment as I cannot change any settings.

Will keep you posted so all True users know what to expect before hooking up their Wii's.

Kenn:

Switch to Loxinfo. No problems. That could be an alternative.

Hey i got to the part in Zelda where Link turns into the wolf. Took me 4 hours! The adventure is just beginning!

Turok

Unfortunately I'm still on a True contract till next year, plus my phone line is True so probably cannot switch to Loxinfo at all, bummer.

I heard that after the first update you have to select a country, did you select Thailand or US?

I succesfully got rid of the True firmware on the router yesterday and was able to turn of its firewall and other security, unfortunately still 32002 and 32004 error message when trying to connect. I looks like there is not even an attempt to connect. I installed the Nintendo USB wifi connector which connects flawlesly with the Wii, just updating does not work.

I'm about to throw out my old router and just get a wireless one, trouble is it could be my router, pc, usb connector or the Wii itself, madness :o:D:D