Pattaya Bridge Club Raid

Watchful

I realize this is "old news", but I lost track of how this ended.

Last I heard the fines were refunded to all of the players, except the organizer. Further, the police indicated they still wanted to proceed in court in order to get an official verdict on the card game of bridge.

Can anyone shed light on where this currently stands?

I read that prosecutions were going ahead as the person who ordered the raid would lose face if they didn't (thereby making himself look even more stupid, but that wouldn't occur to him). Don't know then if they did or not. Like the OP, I'd be interested to know.

I heard a lot of pronouncements on what would happen or was likely to happen but I never

heard if the bridge players actually goy there bail/fine money returned. Just words to

the effect that they probably would. I would like to know from one of the actual perpetrators

of this heinous crime if the did get their fine/bail money back and charges dismissed

or was their guilty plea used as justification to keep the money. whistling.gif

I know one of the guys he got most of his bail money back and am told the case is still on appeal, the big guy who organised the raid said he would leave it to the courts to decide, they decided it was not a crime, and he has appealed this decision to a higher court as he didn't agree with the verdict.

I know one of the guys he got most of his bail money back and am told the case is still on appeal, the big guy who organised the raid said he would leave it to the courts to decide, they decided it was not a crime, and he has appealed this decision to a higher court as he didn't agree with the verdict.

Better then not getting any but I am curious how he only got "most.....back" - what was the police justification for keeping any do you know?

They did not break a gambling law they broke a law a not allowing more then 120 playing cards.

Section 8. No person shall possess more than one hundred and twenty playing cards or sell playing cards irrespective of their quantity, unless those playing cards have been produced by, or have been stamped with the seal of, the Excise Department.

Better then not getting any but I am curious how he only got "most.....back" - what was the police justification for keeping any do you know?

@blinddodger is correct. They got all their money back except a part that was agreed to be held by a lawyer that would be kept as a fee for handling the case win or lose. The police kept nothing and wanted nothing to do with the case from the beginning but were under orders from the Nai Amphur.

Archived