Motorcycle taxi driver's head almost cut off in argument over fare

webfact

Motorcycle taxi driver's head almost cut off in argument over fare

s4.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- An elderly Bangkok motorcycle taxi driver was murdered Sunday in an apparent argument over a fare.

Sixty four year old Panya Chimthet was found in the Sathorn area of Bangkok with a single knife would to the throat that had almost severed his head.

The hunt is on for a 30 - 40 man, 165 centimetres tall, who was carrying a plastic bag with a bottle of spirits and who was wearing dark blue trousers and t-shirt with a cap reported Thairath.

Police found the victim by the side of the road near the end of Charoenrat Soi 2 in the Yannawa area of Sathorn. He was face down in a pool of blood. His Honda Moove bike was found nearby. He was wearing motorcycle jacket number 2 of the Charoen Krung 65 taxi rank.

Police learnt from the victim's younger brother Keng Chimthet, 43, that earlier Sunday evening they were working together waiting for customers in Charoen Krung 65. A man holding a plastic bad containing alcohol had approached them at 7.30pm asking to be taken to Charoenrat Soi 2. His elder brother was next in line to take a fare.

The next he heard was that his brother was dead and he rushed over to the scene. He said that he was told that on reaching the soi a big argument had broken out when the passenger said he was going to pop home to get money for the fare. The passenger took out a knife used for cutting grass and attacked his brother before fleeing the scene.

Police are studying CCTV footage from the original rank to the murder scene and interviewing witnesses as the hunt for the murderer continues.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-06

RIP to the motocy guy.

I always take motorcy taxis as a last resort. Often I get quoted an inflated price compared to the board. I always pay the board price but I hate having to have that same conversation.

Wow what a hot head, murdered a person for a small taxi fare probably no more than 100 baht max.

It's a shame for everybody else that the world is full of these type of idiots.

Since you can't know for sure the exhorbant amount the taxi was trying to charge then you couldn't possibly say it was a small fare. I have ridden the those for less than a kilometer and been asked to pay over 200 baht. Rather than me getting angry I throw a 50 at him and walk away.

The motocy taxi driver was a really really nice guy who wouldn't hurt anyone!!!

How can you say that bro? The moto guys at the end of my soi cause no problems.

Er ..um.. I may be missing something here but it sounds like you two are agreeing with each other :)

Regardless of the circumstances - RIP rider and condolences to family and friends.

Hope the Police catch the perpetrator, relieve him of all his assets (to be given to the deceased's family) and then throw him in prison for a long long time.

Horrific how little value is placed on life in this supposedly Buddhist alleged land of smiles.

Just as well it wouldn't happen outside of Thailand?

Well, of course heinous crimes occur in every country perpetrated by every gender, race, religion, and culture - but, no other country presents itself like Thailand does, portraying itself as a uniquely peace-loving Buddhist Land of Smiles.

Do you not see a disconnect between the Buddhist way of life and the Thai way of life? The disconnect between the way Thailand portrays itself in the tourism ads and the reality of holidaying or living here?

Wow what a hot head, murdered a person for a small taxi fare probably no more than 100 baht max.

Since you can't know for sure the exhorbant amount the taxi was trying to charge then you couldn't possibly say it was a small fare. I have ridden the those for less than a kilometer and been asked to pay over 200 baht. Rather than me getting angry I throw a 50 at him and walk away.

But this guy was only disusing the fair, he hadn't been anywhere,, If he wasn't happy he could have asked another taxi what they would charge.. I guess it would be F##K all, after seeing he just cut off the guy head, before him.. who would be keen to overcharge him, after seeing that !!!!

But this guy was only disusing the fair, he hadn't been anywhere,, If he wasn't happy he could have asked another taxi what they would charge.. I guess it would be F##K all, after seeing he just cut off the guy head, before him.. who would be keen to overcharge him, after seeing that !!!!

opps, that's fare, not fair.. but I guess what he did, wasn't fair just for an overpriced fare !!! :D

Horrific how little value is placed on life in this supposedly Buddhist alleged land of smiles.

What has a religion go to do with a murder ? You must be so bitter inside ! When Catholics kill it's not about religion is it.. What a forum.. Get a life !

The motocy taxi driver was a really really nice guy who wouldn't hurt anyone!!!

How can you say that bro? The moto guys at the end of my soi cause no problems.

Er ..um.. I may be missing something here but it sounds like you two are agreeing with each other smile.png

Christ save it as it doesn't happen very often

What has a religion go to do with a murder ? You must be so bitter inside ! When Catholics kill it's not about religion is it.. What a forum.. Get a life !

Read my reply to dotpoom above. My comment was not about the religion per se, but about the way Thailand promotes itself, and the way the daily murders and bashings over the slightest disagreement flies in the face of that idealised portrayal.

That's why you should establish the fare BEFORE you travel, or you may find yourself with an almost severed head.

hopefully helmet cams become mandatory now for moto taxis, hopefully cars too, i dont know why (well maybe I do) dash cams and helmet cams with sound are not yet mandatory for all taxis, for safety of driver and passenger and for insurance

200 baht? Oh, that's different, and a very large fare, huh?

even if they were protestants? really?

Just as well it wouldn't happen outside of Thailand?

Well, of course heinous crimes occur in every country perpetrated by every gender, race, religion, and culture - but, no other country presents itself like Thailand does, portraying itself as a uniquely peace-loving Buddhist Land of Smiles.

Do you not see a disconnect between the Buddhist way of life and the Thai way of life? The disconnect between the way Thailand portrays itself in the tourism ads and the reality of holidaying or living here?

So you think the Thai tourist board should focus their marketing on murders? What on earth does religion have to do with murders like this? There is a "disconnect" between murder and all religions. Why should Thailand be any different? Edited by brewsterbudgen

It didn't say they were looking for a Thai guy, did it ?? He may have been Russian or Aussie or Swedish or English or from anyone of a hundred different countries ? Still my money is on it being a Thai guy.

If it was a farang you can be sure they'd focus on it.

Not too late to blame a Burmese labourer though.