US officials visit Thai naval base

webfact

US officials visit Thai naval base

CHONBURI, 7 June 2016 (NNT) – The Sattahip Naval Base has welcomed officials from the US congress on an official visit to enhance the strategic partnership between Thailand and the United States.

Utah’s senior senator Chief of Staff Robert Porter has led his delegates on a courtesy call to Sattahip Naval Base deputy chief commander Read Admiral Chatchawan Meesawad as part of an official visit to strengthen Thai-United States’ strategic partnership ties and enhancing the Asia-Pacific regional security during 27 May - 5 June 2016.

The deputy chief of the naval base reflected that the visit from US officials was to enhance mutual relations and create a correct understanding towards Thailand. The officials were interested in studying the strategic partnership between both countries, as well as Thailand’s role and cooperation to the United States' plan to enhance security in Asia-Pacific region.

He has said this visit from US officials allowed them to perceive Thailand’s role in humanitarian operations by the Royal Thai Navy that contributes to the Southeast Asia Maritime Security Initiative, which will be further supported by the US in the future.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-07 footer_n.gif

I hope the US officials get prior written permission before they go near the aircraft carrier.

Oh yes, years ago a foreigner wrote to The Post's letter page to explain how he'd gone to an Open Day at Sattahip with his Thai wife and family and as soon as he produced his camera the base security were all over him as foreigners not allowed to take photos.

National security, state secrets and all that. Only Thais allowed to pose in front of the carrier for photos.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

This makes sense , Utah's senior Senator, chief of staff Robert Porter , no word from the Pentagon ,very much like the UE commissioners paying former PM Yingluck a visit, and why is it that Thai officials are always explaining a correct understanding of Thailand, we do understand and what's more it is your version, how about picking someone out of the crowd from Loei and get them to explain , anyway, what we see isn't all together pretty..............................coffee1.gif .

Edited by chainarong

Why does every news article about foreign politicians, forces, businesses etc say that they need to learn the correct understanding? haha

Does not one person from outside of Thailand not understand?!

I was going to say it seemed like a low level visit as the Senator himself didn't attend but Porter's boss is a powerful Senator, Republican Orrin Hatch who is not on any defense related committees but is powerful nonetheless.

I hope the US officials get prior written permission before they go near the aircraft carrier.

Yes its top secret. I hope they were all briefed that no laughing would be tolerated during the tour. I hope they put up big life size pictures of where their future purchases of military hardware will be.

I think I'm going to be sick. Fracking Americans...

bah.gif

W

You might get better quality in your work if you do not paint with such a broad brush. Or am I to understand you count all Americans as to be condemned?

Why does every news article about foreign politicians, forces, businesses etc say that they need to learn the correct understanding? haha

Does not one person from outside of Thailand not understand?!

I thought Russia and China was full of understanders.

Yes went with my former Thai wife to visit the carrier but so top secret as a Foreigner I was not allowed on board. Went to an open day in NZ of one of Our ships and 50% of the visitors were Asians. Cunning now they know we have a 20 mm cannon.

In the hierarchy of US officials, a Senator's chief of staff is pretty low. He is actually not an "official"; he is an employee. All he can do is make a report back to his boss.

However, I am sure the "delegation" is having a fine time.