XXXX - Solarcell...Jury still out

KKGuy

A few months back I hired XXX to install two different systems for me: a 2000w on-grid system (to roll back the electric meter) and a 2400w off-grid system (to power two well water pumps used on our farm). Each system was 100,000 baht all in. I received the typical chart showing how much power you'll generate and thus how long the payoff is, etc. They are somewhat "local" to the Khon Kaen area and he advised not going with one of the Bangkok companies because their service after the fact is lacking. Well...

They did a nice job of installation of both 8-panel systems on the roof of the house. I have been generating around an average of 9 KWh of power each day. All was fine with the on-grid system until the local electric company guys came the other day and replaced the old dial (goes backwards) meter with a digital one that won't go backwards. We'll see if we can sweet-talk them into putting the old style back, but as of today, people that have solar panels are not allowed to roll back their meter. I'll update this post as needed, as this is an ongoing issue and we're at the beginning stages.

I've also been having some troubles with the off-grid system not doing it's job/ living up to it's "potential". XXX is supposed to be coming back to figure out what isn't working as it should.

The point of this post is to report that this company has been terrible with service after the sale. Emails/phone calls go unanswered...which is probably par for the course in Thailand (I'm learning) but that still doesn't sit well with me. Again, I'll update this post as things happen, but I would steer clear of XXX for now if you expect good service after the sale...and also hold off until this meter issue gets resolved, or just make sure you get the ok from your local electric provider before you start any solar project where you expect to roll back the meter (which is the only point for me having an on-grid system, since 95% of our typical electric use is at night).

Edited by Crossy
Removed company name

I've removed the company name (sorry) due to forum rules on name-and-shame (brought about by Thailand's draconian defamation laws).

You (or your supplier) should have got permission from PEA before installing a grid-tie system, the absence of registration is probably why you now have a meter that doesn't record exports (digital meters are quite capable of recording exported power, if they are enabled to).

Get your ducks in a row regarding the grid-tie (assuming it's an approved inverter and correctly installed) and, possibly after a fine is paid, PEA should allow you to export again.

I'm curious how a 2000W grid tied system works out to cost the same as a 2400W off-grid system?

What components did you actually get?

Edited by IMHO

A good solar installation company should certainly be aware of government requirements and should have applied for the proper permits. The government frowns on anyone installing the system by themselves. I would say they were negligent doing an illegal installation. A lawyer may be able to give you advice. As far as the off grid system, That is not a big job to trouble shoot it and government approval is not required. I'm a little surprised that a 2,000 watt system is giving you 9 KWh per day. That is very good.

Just as a side note, this being Thailand and everything is somewhat ass backwards, you don't apply for permits before the install, that happens after you spend the money and do the install.

Crazy I know, but if you've lived here for any amount of time, you just roll your eyes and go with it!

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone.

My two systems cost the same because i made him come down a little on the price for the 2400 off-grid system. Made up a story about a competitor having it for 100K and he matched it. I received (supposedly) everything I need...JFY Sunseed 3000TL on-grid inverter, INVT solar pumping inverter, etc.

Local electric head was here Sat to try to tell me which screen on the new digital electric box showed the running total for the month. He couldn't figure it out either and is "getting back to us".

He said that no one is allowed to have a meter that runs backwards. Next step is talking to the district guy located in Udon Thani. My wife's friend is the regional (or some even higher position), but figures he won't step on toes and override anything his subordinates do. So pretty sure it's not possible to have what we were sold.

As far as my idea to save money when running the well pumps a lot, that still is happening because the on-grid system generates enough to run them. Just need to think ahead and do anything that requires electric (laundry, etc) when the sun is out...then it's free (or reduced).

The off-gird system is now unnecessary and not working properly anyway. So that's where my next battle comes in. I'll either have them tie all the panels together and get me a 4-5000w on-grid inverter (at their cost), tell them to take their stuff back and give me the 100K they received, or choice C that they come up with. I know they can't set me up with a battery storage system, as that would cost much, much more than the money I spent. Wish Tesla would hurry up and scale their new home storage battery.

To be continued...

Forgot to say that I told the guy in writing that if he didn't know the rules, it's negligence. If he did and misled us anyway, it's fraud. Either way, we have a good case and have friends that are lawyers, so I'm not that worried about it.

Edited by KKGuy

A good solar installation company should certainly be aware of government requirements and should have applied for the proper permits. The government frowns on anyone installing the system by themselves. I would say they were negligent doing an illegal installation. A lawyer may be able to give you advice. As far as the off grid system, That is not a big job to trouble shoot it and government approval is not required. I'm a little surprised that a 2,000 watt system is giving you 9 KWh per day. That is very good.

i consider a yield of 9kWh/day achieved with an investment of 100k Baht sick.gif