Are Thais really bad drivers?

Off topic posts removed also replies, if you want to discuss:

convicted killers, rapist, murderers also the word Farang please start your own topic and don't hijack this one, thank you.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Begs a Question.?.Are the ferangs who drive here much good.?. Generally I think it's fair to accept that posters in this section are AWARE to conditions But quite frankly my personal Ferang chums are arrogant Sunday Drivers,who slag Thais but only go to Lotus once a week ,go North once a Year ,and regard holding a Licence for many years equates to road experience..frankly I Tink they worse than most Thais by volume.

How many of these falang drivers have killed someone or died themselves as a result of their "bad" driving?

You can read about farangs involved in accidents almost weekly. Not so long ago a farang was drunk driving in Chiang Mai and killed 2 Thais. He fled the scene. Farangs are no better than Thais , especially expats living here.

That's absolute BS, I watch the Thai TV news daily and I can't remember the last time I saw a report of a falang responsible for causing death by driving, but if you want to persist with the misconception that falangs are no better drivers than Thais, be my guest.

Please do not call me a liar . If you read Thaivisa daily you can read about farangs involved in accidents on a weekly basis. Just do a search .

And that "accident" in Chiang Mai where the foreigner fled the scene is here, it happened last month:

www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916674-british-benz-driver-sought-after-fatal-chiang-mai-smash/

Edited by balo

post-114384-0-63342000-1465895902.jpg

Percentage speaking - no......

Given the small percentage of farangs on the road versus the bonehead moves I've watched many make....Opposed to the high number of Thai's versus dumb moves.....

Over all farangs are probably better skilled - which many feel it gives them license to make those bonehead moves.....Have to show that superiority/in your face off......

I haven't had any serious accident while driving for over 25 years in Thailand (although not year-long all the time).

Only been read-ended rather violently on a rainy day by a Thai driver who did not expect me to brake hard at a yellow light. That's not quite a local custom indeed laugh.png

I certainly "adapt" to the Thai way of driving when in the LOS, and I have to confess not only in the best sense of that word... whistling.gif

Doing things that would cost me fines and driving licence points here in Europe. Nothing as serious as passing a red light, but driving without a seat belt or significantly over 90 km/h on highways...

Edited by Lannig

I haven't had any serious accident while driving for over 25 years in Thailand (although not year-long all the time).

Only been read-end rather violently on a rainy day by a Thai driver who did not expect me to brake hard at a yellow light. That's not quite a local custom indeed laugh.png

I certainly "adapt" to the Thai way of driving when in the LOS, and I have to confess not only in the best sense of that word... whistling.gif

Doing things that would cost me fines and driving licence points here in Europe...

In other words breaking the law and driving irresponsibly.

Edited by giddyup

In other words breaking the law and driving irresponsibly.

I was editing my post to detail the terrible offenses I commit sometimes while you replied, so if that's the way you want to judge them, you certainly have the right to do so...

Not that I care.

Yes Thais are bad drivers from what I have seen, but so are quite a lot of Westerners. I see a lot riding scooters/mopeds like complete muppets. Riding on the pavement, riding straight through zebra crossings when people are using them, not wearing helmets etc etc. Just because they choose to live,work or visit does not mean that you should behave like the locals. A lot of people think that they are a lot better than Thai's in many ways...well why don't they show it and stop riding/driving like flaming morons. Maybe if we ride/drive correctly it might catch on...i did say 'might'