Beggars on the rise

streetsweeper

I don't understand why the number of beggars along the Ping River and its's bridges has started to rise.

In fact, they seem to be located in most places that Foreigners tend to hang out and travel.

Isn't it time for the local government to start collecting these people off the streets and sending them into the country?

This is not good for tourism in any which way!

They have more right to be there than any one on Thai visa,after all they don't have to report to immigration every 90 days.

Maybe they take the same stance against the invasion of western ex pats like yourself.

Perhaps it is you who should be removed from their country.

Edited by stoneyboy

Prime locations are controlled by the ****** that is why they don't fight for a good space. I don't know the current system but years ago my Ex. was looking for job ops. on the net and came across an ad for a company that hired people with obvious disabilities to be picked up in a van and taken to their job (begging) site....she was shocked. She always gave but her attitude was 4 limbs, no money 3 or less ok.

Prime locations are controlled by the ****** that is why they don't fight for a good space. I don't know the current system but years ago my Ex. was looking for job ops. on the net and came across an ad for a company that hired people with obvious disabilities to be picked up in a van and taken to their job (begging) site....she was shocked. She always gave but her attitude was 4 limbs, no money 3 or less ok.

Big business as you said.First saw them being dropped off/ carried off to their designated slots in Bangkok many years ago. Disabled, women with babies(not necessarily their own) etc. As your wife said, the more disabled the more chance of being given money, sad but true!

It is just a troll. Stop and think of it people why would a beggar hang out at a bridge where there is less foot traffic.

I quite often walk across two and some times three of the bridges in addition to a tuck tuck across a fourth and have yet to see a beggar on one.

I do see them in the tourist areas and there does not sem to be more. I have noticed over the years that some times there are even less then there is more then there is less.

An ill informed troll

Edited by northernjohn

It is just a troll. Stop and think of it people why would a beggar hang out at a bridge where there is less foot traffic.

I quite often walk across two and some times three of the bridges in addition to a tuck tuck across a fourth and have yet to see a beggar on one.

I do see them in the tourist areas and there does not sem to be more. I have noticed over the years that some times there are even less then there is more then there is less.

An ill informed troll

Absolutely, beggars on the streets are way down in the last ten years, and there aren't many tourists near the bridges or the river. The iron bridge at night is full of young Thais taking their photo or just hanging out, and no-one hangs around the Nawarat bridge. Other bridges are not a destination for tourists in any way whatsoever.

A poor attempt at trolling - I'll give him 1 out of 10, and that is only because it did fool the "I would never help anyone out" brigade, who, to be fair, only need the slightest of nudging to take the chance to get on their soapbox and highlight their inhumanity. According to them, every beggar is a charlatan, even the emaciated old man I saw sleeping under the steps below the footbridge at Warrorot market.

Very late at night, homeless people sometimes stay inside this part of the bridge, curled up to keep warm in the cool season or dry in the wet season.

post-181944-0-59167800-1465362970_thumb.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Beggars belief that a farang is complaining about Thais doing something to get more money.

After all farangs are rich, so they can give just a little bit to poor people.

What makes you think the beggars are Thai?

Or that all foreigners are white for that matter?

Where Chang Puak meets the moat there is a large area off to west side.

It used to be 09.30 when a couple of pick ups used to park up to offload the Group of 'Hill tribe' people.

These are the folk who go around town 'Begging'. They can be seen sharing out infants which I was assured are 'Rented' from their natural mothers.

I understand they come from Mae Rim and the owner of the long gone Mango Tree, a resident of there, said they could be seen drinking and eating in the better dining spots of Mae Rim.

john

Where Chang Puak meets the moat there is a large area off to west side.

It used to be 09.30 when a couple of pick ups used to park up to offload the Group of 'Hill tribe' people.

These are the folk who go around town 'Begging'. They can be seen sharing out infants which I was assured are 'Rented' from their natural mothers.

I understand they come from Mae Rim and the owner of the long gone Mango Tree, a resident of there, said they could be seen drinking and eating in the better dining spots of Mae Rim.

john

Fake beggars exist all over the world, whether it be the streets of New York, London, or here in Chiang Mai, and all of us know that some are genuine and some are not. The only difference is that some people use that fact as an excuse to never give to anyone, no matter how desperate they may be, and as a way of justifying their meanness. Some people would even resort to counting limbs before helping!!

Just as most of the fake beggars are pretty obvious, so are the genuine ones.

In a related issue, I see a lot more Thais sleeping rough on the beach in Jomtien when I take my early morning constitutional stroll. They have increased from less than a handful to a couple of dozen along the 4 kilometre stretch. Times are tough for all.

The best beggars wear a suit and tie, carry an attache case and a newspaper, and hang out in busy bus and train stations at rush hour.

"Damn it! I left my wallet at the office again! Anyone got an extra buck or two?" These folks can turn $200-$300 a day easily just working the rush hours, if the police don't roust them.

Back in the early 80's I was living in a part of town known as the Student Ghetto. The street was lined with multi-unit homes housing students, and fraternity and sorority houses. There was this old raggedy 'bum' who used to wheel around a train of shopping trolleys, collecting beer bottles and cans to return for deposit money. It was a tradition in the area to only give emptys to him. With half a dozen fraternity and sorority houses having parties every Friday and Saturday night, sometimes his trolley train would be 10 carts long...

... He bought a new General Motors car every year...

Begging for a few baht? Child's play!

Edited by FolkGuitar

There're two old women near to Kad Saen Kaew begging on a regular basis. They don't have any obvious handicaps.

Is being disabled the only justification for begging? How many limbs do you think they need to be missing before they are entitled to beg?

I'm surprised we haven't had someone chime in with the old nugget,"I offered a beggar some food, and they didn't want it, therefore they're not genuine". As we all know, beggars don't need shelter, clothing, soap, shoes, or heaven forbid, a drink or a cigarette. They need food and nothing else - they should subsist and be grateful for that.

OP.-"Isn't it time for the local government to start collecting these people off the streets and sending them into the country?

This is not good for tourism in any which way!"

I don't think Thailand needs people with your line of dangerous thinking.

Please go home, unless of course you're already there and just trolling.

There're two old women near to Kad Saen Kaew begging on a regular basis. They don't have any obvious handicaps.

Is being disabled the only justification for begging? How many limbs do you think they need to be missing before they are entitled to beg?

I'm surprised we haven't had someone chime in with the old nugget,"I offered a beggar some food, and they didn't want it, therefore they're not genuine". As we all know, beggars don't need shelter, clothing, soap, shoes, or heaven forbid, a drink or a cigarette. They need food and nothing else - they should subsist and be grateful for that.

You beat me to it. I was going to ask the same question. I personally have three disabilities but they are not obvious. I would be on the street begging also if I didn't have an outside source of income.

I wanted to thank you for your support of the real beggars. I am sure I have made mistakes but the bottom line is I did not get hurt and many times I am sure it has made a difference in some peoples life.

OP.-"Isn't it time for the local government to start collecting these people off the streets and sending them into the country?

This is not good for tourism in any which way!"

I don't think Thailand needs people with your line of dangerous thinking.

Please go home, unless of course you're already there and just trolling.

Just thought it deserved another seconder on it.With his obvious lack of knowledge about beggars he has to be TROLL.bah.gif

There was a man who used to work the backpack tourists in the Banglampoo district of Bangkok. Every day he would set up outside the temple at the foot of Khaosan Road, placing an ordinary bathroom scale on the ground. He would arrive in the early morning, and stand there until evening. He stood all day. He wouldn't sit. He was always dressed in clean, neatly pressed, but VERY thread-bare suit and tie, and would invite people passing by to check their weight. He wan't pushy about it, just a simple "Hello sir, would you like to check your weight? Just 2 baht." said with a shy smile. People staying in the guest houses on the west side of the temple would check their weight when they went back and forth to Khaosan Road, checking sometimes 2-3 times a day... dropping coins into his cup each time.... despite the fact that the scale obviously didn't work at all..

Some beggars make begging their job.

Isn't it time for the local government to start collecting these people off the streets and sending them into the country?

Your member name is quite appropriate.

I think you would have a successful career helping out Brazil leading up to the games.

I dont support them after hearing about the one that lived in the temple having 1.5 million baht, they for the most part are just lazy.

This old guy isn't shirtless, he has all of his limbs (I counted them), he has a roof over his head (at the place on the Nawarat bridge that I mentioned in an earlier post) ,and he has some scraps of food, so people like you think that he is undeserving of any help, right? A lazy multi-millionaire by all accounts!.

The photo was taken on my way home, in the rain last night.

post-181944-0-31277100-1465446300_thumb.

CMJoe, my Thai EX's folksy qualifier of neediness of a missing limb really impressed you I see, as you have now referenced it at least 3 times. I guess you didn't get it was her way of saying , If a person appears able to work they should. ... but you can keep using that as it seems to make you happy.

There are many homeless in CM, also borderline cases hanging out. some beg, some just existing, some being exploited by the powers that be, all deserving of a better life.

i remember that young curly haired Burmese guy that sat on L.K. road for years in a prime location maybe still there, speaks good english, angelic face and very polite. He told me he lost a lower leg to a land mine. He did very well financially. (yep only 3 limbs).

CMJoe, my Thai EX's folksy qualifier of neediness of a missing limb really impressed you I see, as you have now referenced it at least 3 times. I guess you didn't get it was her way of saying , If a person appears able to work they should. ... but you can keep using that as it seems to make you happy.

There are many homeless in CM, also borderline cases hanging out. some beg, some just existing, some being exploited by the powers that be, all deserving of a better life.

i remember that young curly haired Burmese guy that sat on L.K. road for years in a prime location maybe still there, speaks good english, angelic face and very polite. He told me he lost a lower leg to a land mine. He did very well financially. (yep only 3 limbs).

I used your ex's criteria of limb-counting because it was the most perfect example I've ever come across of how dismissive, thoughtless and heartless people can be of the plight of others. Thanks for your permission to keep referencing her, it is even better than 'if a person appears able to work they should'.

I don't recall the curly-haired lad, but I do remember the crippled guy that used to pull up on his hand-powered tricycle, shuffle across the floor on his useless limbs and beg outside a bank on Changklan road. Although he had all his limbs it could be argued (even by your 'ex'?) that 2 of them didn't count, so I'm sure his job opportunities were limited. I used that very bank for quite a while and I would occasionally drop him a few baht, but I must admit that part of the reason was that I admired his ingenuity in his choice of location - it was a lot more difficult to act like you had no money outside a bank!!

A few years down the line, I saw him cycle past and my wife told me that he did quite well and he had a nice house just out of town. She didn't say anything else and there was no hint of her thinking that anything was wrong with that. I thought about it, and maybe similar to my wife, I thought 'good luck to him'. His options in life were extremely limited, there is no state support system to help him get by, he never pressured anyone into giving money, and he smiled at you if you gave or not. The people that gave probably felt better and he did benefit from their generosity. I thought that he is as deserving of a good life as much as the next guy and I appreciated the fact that he has managed to get through life, despite his obvious handicap, and be successful. I thought that it is wrong to expect him to just subsist, he should be able to enjoy life to it's full as much as anyone else, and not just get by, which implies he should 'know his place' and 'accept his lot'.

He taught me something, as did my wife. Notice I didn't say 'ex'?

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I used your ex's criteria of limb-counting because it was the most perfect example I've ever come across of how dismissive, thoughtless and heartless people can be of the plight of others. Thanks for your permission to keep referencing her, it is even better than 'if a person appears able to work they should'.

I don't recall the curly-haired lad, but I do remember the crippled guy that used to pull up on his hand-powered tricycle, shuffle across the floor on his useless limbs and beg outside a bank on Changklan road. Although he had all his limbs it could be argued that 2 of them didn't count, so I'm sure his job opportunities were limited. I used that very bank for quite a while and I would occasionally drop him a few baht, but I must admit that part of the reason was that I admired his ingenuity in his choice of location - it was a lot more difficult to act like you had no money outside a bank!!

A few years down the line, I saw him cycle past and my wife told me that he did quite well and he had a nice house just out of town. She didn't say anything else and there was no hint of her thinking that anything was wrong with that. I thought about it, and maybe similar to my wife, I thought 'good luck to him'. His options in life were extremely limited, there is no state support system to help him get by, he never pressured anyone into giving money, and he smiled at you if you gave or not. The people that gave probably felt better and he did benefit from their generosity. I thought that he is as deserving of a good life as much as the next guy and I appreciated the fact that he has managed to get through life, despite his obvious handicap, and be successful. I thought that it is wrong to expect him to just subsist, he should be able to enjoy life to it's full as much as anyone else, and not just get by, which implies he should 'know his place' and 'accept his lot'.

He taught me something, as did my wife. Notice I didn't say 'ex'?

You are wasting your time. Talking to these people is like tilting at windmills.wai.gif