Beggars on the rise

streetsweeper

Well said Chiengmaijoe; it's also worth noting that those with mental health issues cannot be diagnosed by counting their limbs. There's no safety net for those folks to fall back on and in many cases mental health issues are far more problematic to the people who would normally care for (or even employ) someone than physical disabilities are.

Are some of the members of this hallowed forum proposing that they should starve to death because they are unemployable?

Give if you want to give, don't give if you don't but don't sneer at those in need and don't sneer at those who choose to help.

Well said Chiengmaijoe; it's also worth noting that those with mental health issues cannot be diagnosed by counting their limbs. There's no safety net for those folks to fall back on and in many cases mental health issues are far more problematic to the people who would normally care for (or even employ) someone than physical disabilities are.

Are some of the members of this hallowed forum proposing that they should starve to death because they are unemployable?

Give if you want to give, don't give if you don't but don't sneer at those in need and don't sneer at those who choose to help.

I agree. I also find it interesting that the phrase used to deride those that do help is - Do-gooder! What is it about helping others that bothers people so much, and how can it be that doing good ends up being used as an insult?

I'm far from doing as much as I should, but it's the sneering, dismissive attitude of some people here, that you so rightly pointed out, makes me shake my head.

As Elvis said, "What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?".

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

You are wasting your time. Talking to these people is like tilting at windmills.wai.gif

You never know, it may give just one of them food for thought, and if I've managed to piss off a couple of sad, selfish, uncaring, hard-nosed, ne'er do good-ers, that's time well spent, in my books.

I was beginning to think that I might have also served some purpose by introducing the term 'limb-counting' to the lexicon, to be used in these debates, but a quick google search reveals that it already exists. It refers to a point system in children's computer war games, I think. Not dissimilar to the points system implied by Daoyais 'ex'.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

^^^ she had a rather elaborite point system, old ladies not supported by their families as is the Thai custom, worthy, birth defects (she has a severly defective sister) super worthy, hill tribers, (she called them "people from the mountain") worthy by virtue of govt. discrimination HIV, worthy.

It was all wrapped up in her belief in karma both theirs and hers.

They have more right to be there than any one on Thai visa,after all they don't have to report to immigration every 90 days.

Maybe they take the same stance against the invasion of western ex pats like yourself.

Perhaps it is you who should be removed from their country.

It's all about perspective.

One can't see if one doesn't want to see!

or

if they have buried their head in the sand looking for distractions more pleasant!

At least in Cambodia, the Buddhist monks shared their morning's collections with the poor people.

I don't see that happening here.

I do see a lot of overweight monks of all ages though!

or

if they have buried their head in the sand looking for distractions more pleasant!

At least in Cambodia, the Buddhist monks shared their morning's collections with the poor people.

Being fat is no longer a sign of wealth or prosperity; take a walk through any poor neighborhood in the US or the UK - you'll find nothing but fat people. It's a sign of lousy diet built on cheap, crappy, high fat, high sugar but low nutrition content food.

Who asked you to judge the Buddhist monks of this country? They area fundamental part of life here and there are definitely many temples and monasteries around the country doing great work with the poor (and in a low key manner so that the beneficiaries may retain face).

It is a worldwide phenomenon. You should see Los Angeles these days. Tens of thousands living on the streets. Completely disenfranchised. The middle class are losing their footing and the poor are getting poorer. Does anyone honestly think the little man or the elite here lose a single hours sleep over it? He is just doing what he was hired to do.

I was under the impression any temple in Thailand will feed anyone that asks and give them a place to sleep.

Am I wrong?

Is that not the way the temples here work?

I was under the impression any temple in Thailand will feed anyone that asks and give them a place to sleep.

Am I wrong?

I am not sure which bit of "mental health problems" you don't understand but many of those with mental health issues can't turn up in the same place every day and many more don't understand what they're meant to do. Attempts to justify the mistreatment of people are in very poor taste.

or

It looks like you are the one that can't see. Maby it's time for you to spend sometime outside a bar and open your eyes before you start sharing your bs.

Am I wrong?

I am not sure which bit of "mental health problems" you don't understand but many of those with mental health issues can't turn up in the same place every day and many more don't understand what they're meant to do. Attempts to justify the mistreatment of people are in very poor taste.

[/quote

Geez talk about mental health issues and poor taste.

He just asked a simple question... in what way is that an attempt to justify mistreatment?

I am not aware of an official policy of wats feeding the hungry. I have known of a wat that gave excess food donations to people. As far as mentally impaired not knowing who will give them food, I hope there would be intervention in those rare cases.

Edited by daoyai

So sorry, but not many fat monks in Cambodia. Never saw one with a rolex, an iPhone, an iPad either. Certainly not what I found in Thailand or Taiwan.

Watched every day the Cambodian monks teaching classes on the grounds of the temples and dishing out collected food everyday but have NOT witnessed this in Thailand.

Wish i could drag it up and I will do so when I find the article posted about obesity and affluence amongst Thai monk rank and file.

Cheers!

I did do a quick Google search to assure myself of accuracy:post-257925-0-40857300-1465605517_thumb.

Edited by streetsweeper