O-net, is it mandatory?

My son now is in M1, and for the past 2 years he has followed the O-net lessons which are held on Saturday.

As I thought they were only for P4 and P5, last weekend they started again.

Needless to say that my son doesn't like to attend, and I somehow can agree with him, because it is another free day that is lost.

I previously also have read some comments on O-net here and elsewhere, and understood that the general consensus is that it's a waste of time.

Of course, apart from the fact that he loses his whole Saturday ( lessons are from 8am till 3pm), it also has to be paid for extra.

So last Saturday I decide to let him enjoy his free day, but on Monday the teacher told him that he would only get 1 warning.

So hence the question in the thread title if it is really mandatory to attend those extra O-net classes.

ONET Tests are currently only for P6, M3 and M6 (grade 6, 9 and 12) and are mandatory.

http://www.niets.or.th/en/catalog/view/2211

I understand that the tests are mandatory, but are so also the extra classes which last the whole term ?

He just started in M1, so if the tests are only in M3, that is still 3 years of extra classes away.

No after-school-classes for the purpose of what so ever are mandatory. However, some Thai teachers tell both students and parents that they are mandatory to guarantee extra income through after-school-classes. There might be exceptions, though. The very best thing to do is to ask the administration of the school whether those classes are mandatory and if so whether the tuition fees are included in the general school's tuition fees.

So last Saturday I decide to let him enjoy his free day, but on Monday the teacher told him that he would only get 1 warning.

Is it possible that your son's attending "extra classes" under the coat of O-Net test preparation?

I know that the last O- net tests for our students were held on a Saturday, but I don't think that it's mandatory for your son in M 1 to attend these classes on a Saturday.

It seems that somebody's making good money with something that isn't needed.

ONET Tests are currently only for P6, M3 and M6 (grade 6, 9 and 12) and are mandatory.

http://www.niets.or.th/en/catalog/view/2211

I understand that the tests are mandatory, but are so also the extra classes which last the whole term ?

He just started in M1, so if the tests are only in M3, that is still 3 years of extra classes away.

No after-school-classes for the purpose of what so ever are mandatory. However, some Thai teachers tell both students and parents that they are mandatory to guarantee extra income through after-school-classes. There might be exceptions, though. The very best thing to do is to ask the administration of the school whether those classes are mandatory and if so whether the tuition fees are included in the general school's tuition fees.

I don't think it is included in the general school fee, but that they charge at the start of the term already for it as I see the mother got multiple receipts , and just say that it is mandatory.

You know someone in uniform can tell anything to a Thai, and get away with it.

I have to ask the mother since she paid the school fees and, if she paid already, if there is a possibility to get it refunded.

I know it will be hard fight, as it is me against that "PIE" in the school office, but at least I am now informed.

I am pretty damn sure it is the teacher trying to pull the wool over your eyes and making a quick buck. Like another poster said in P6, M3 and M6 it is 100% mandatory but at M1 it is not. i am pretty sure that a Thai teacher has decided that they will hold extra classes on the Saturday as they most likely did not do there job right during the week and are lying about it being linked to O-net requirements. Obviously they are not going to do this for free and see it as a way to make more money. Pretty sure the head of department and even the director are in on this little scheme as they will receive a cut of the money made. This kind of shenanigans has been going on since I started teaching here in 2005 and was happening before and will continue to until parents decide enough is enough. Of course that will never happen as teachers are almost as revered as monks and just look what the last few months has shown us about them.

I am pretty damn sure it is the teacher trying to pull the wool over your eyes and making a quick buck. Like another poster said in P6, M3 and M6 it is 100% mandatory but at M1 it is not. i am pretty sure that a Thai teacher has decided that they will hold extra classes on the Saturday as they most likely did not do there job right during the week and are lying about it being linked to O-net requirements. Obviously they are not going to do this for free and see it as a way to make more money. Pretty sure the head of department and even the director are in on this little scheme as they will receive a cut of the money made. This kind of shenanigans has been going on since I started teaching here in 2005 and was happening before and will continue to until parents decide enough is enough. Of course that will never happen as teachers are almost as revered as monks and just look what the last few months has shown us about them.

Can't agree more.

The test is mandatory The extra classes are not and as said are a way of gaining extra income

Thai teachers pressurize parents by saying the child's grade will be poor or they will fail the test

Parents comply - this also applies to extra learning for prathom students whose schools open on Saturday

I describe this as e****tion

Strong parents know the game and don't play it - simple

JGV

I think we are all missing the joke of this thing.

If the O-NET classes are so damn good and needed why the hell are the kids getting such low scores.

Seems to me the time would be better spent with their kids having fun on Saturday and maybe dad getting involved in teaching what the child needs to know. There are many O-net books in the stores.

There was an edict that just came down the pipeline that the current PM and the current MoE have issued an ultimatum to school directors that if they don't raise the O-NET scores of their students then they must be skimming the government money being allocated to them and will therefor be fired or removed to the "burgs".

I get in on all the juicy poop concerning schools and the government because of my wife's current potion. Undoubtedly, this is a work-around scheme concocted by the school's admin and leading teachers to raise the scores without losing "the slop in the trough".

There's no such thing as mandatory weekend classes.

You don't need to take my word for it, just have the wife/mother call the department of secondary education in your area.

Posts critical of grammar have been removed. The topic isn't about grammar and criticizing grammar is trolling and suspensions can be given. It is off-topic and disrupts the discussion.

Archived