Army to lead official re-opening of Phuket’s Surin Beach

webfact

Army to lead official re-opening of Phuket’s Surin Beach
The Phuket News

1465360306_1-org.jpg
There will be many activities such as a sailboat and watersports exhibition, traditional folk sports and a competition for Phuket historical photography, said Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Amornwat. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: -- The Royal Thai Army commanding officer for all of Southern Thailand, Fourth Army Region Commander Lt Gen Wiwat Pathompak, will lead the official opening ceremony of Surin Beach Rajabhakti Park tomorrow (June 9) in honour of Their Majesties The King and Queen of Thailand.

The official ceremony will be held tomorrow in honour of HM King Bhumibol’s 70th Anniversary Celebration Accession to the Throne, Gov Chamroen added.

HM King Bhumibol ascended the throne on June 9, 1946. He is the world’s longest-serving current head of state and the longest-reigning monarch in Thai history.

The ceremony tomorrow will also honour the Seventh Cycle Birthday of HM Queen Sirikit, following the Buddhist precept of honouring every birthday in a cycle of 12 years. HM Queen Sirikit will turn 84 years old on her next birthday on August 12.

“There will be many activities such as a sailboat and watersports exhibition, traditional folk sports and a competition for Phuket historical photography,” said Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Amornwat.

When completed Surin Beach Rajabhakti Park will feature botanical garden, a permanent exhibition highlighting projects by HM The King throughout all 76 provinces, a “sailboat museum” in honour of HM The King’s favourite watersport, sailing, a photography exhibition highlighting visits by members the Royal Family to Phuket, and a “Royal Pavilion” and “museum” to house statues of all Thailand’s Kings, V/Gov Chokdee added.

Dr Kosol Taengutai, Deputy Mayor of Phuket City Municipality, has been called on to assist with organising the event, said, “The area will be transformed into a park and an educational centre for people to learn about HM The King’s many projects.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/army-to-lead-official-re-opening-of-phuket-surin-beach-57772.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-08

Yes and why not as it's a very military commitment.

If any country is thinking about invading Thailand they should consider anytime now would be suitable as the army is engaged in every conceivable activity except it seems being the nation's defenders.

I was there last week.

It used to be a thriving upmarket cool place to hang out.

Now it looks like a tsunami went through there, buildings removed, but the messy foundations still visible, and almost deserted with a only a handful of tourists there sunbaking amongst piles of rubbish. The businesses used to pick up the rubbish, but now they are gone.

I understand they built illegally but I can't see the point of it all. Something better should have been worked out.

I was there last week.

Now it looks like a tsunami went through there, buildings removed, but the messy foundations still visible, and almost deserted with a only a handful of tourists there sunbaking amongst piles of rubbish. The businesses used to pick up the rubbish, but now they are gone.

I understand they built illegally but I can't see the point of it all. Something better should have been worked out.

To true who's going to cleanup the rubble/broken glass etc etc. There used to be two toilets there....obviously not needed by anyone!

Edited by Damaz6052

I was there last week.

What would you have done?

I was there last week.

I don't know about Roomuck but as I liked his post I'll give my answer:

I'd have allowed businesses to stay in return for a fair rent. Now, where that rent would go I don't know but not into the hands of greedy local politicians (probably corrupt national politicians instead!).

There's room for different types of beaches on Phuket and in destroying what Surin had they have probably irreparably damaged some of the upmarket tourism the authorities so crave.

I was there last week.

Agreed, i had some damned nice cocktails there

I was there last week.

I don't know about Roomuck but as I liked his post I'll give my answer:

I'd have allowed businesses to stay in return for a fair rent. Now, where that rent would go I don't know but not into the hands of greedy local politicians (probably corrupt national politicians instead!).

There's room for different types of beaches on Phuket and in destroying what Surin had they have probably irreparably damaged some of the upmarket tourism the authorities so crave.

Yeah, I was thinking confiscate it and then sell it to the highest bidder. Use the money for something worthwhile, hospital equipment, orphanage whatever. Could have turned it into a win win.

Too late now.

I was there last week.

Agreed, i had some damned nice cocktails there

Yeah now you have to walk 2-300 meters to the family mart and sit in a pile of rubbish on the beach or the rubble just above it.

It must of been something personal I reckon to make such a bad decision.

I was there last week.

I agree with roomuk and the first thing I would have done is confiscate the immaculate and strongly built " Club Zazada" on the north end and made it a Tourist Information Centre. It also had a wonderful amenities area , but I certainly wouldnt have pulled down the two amenities blocks already provided by the government that just needed a reno.

These officials want everyone to come see their new natural beach ( as if this is unheard of in South Thailand !) , but so far have no plans to cater for the vast numbers they want - at least nothing planned and printed that we are all aware of anyway.

Does 'returning the beach to nature' mean everyone just craps in the bushes like the old days - except there about 5,000 more visitors today than before?

Sadly , the place is currently an eye-sore.

No bins , no toilets , a wrecked track , lumps of broken concrete and loads of plastic flotsam on the sand.

Nice big flash marquees for all the self congratulations but.

Still , theres a bit of a surf running - so I look forward to the sailing exhibition and hope the officials responsible for all this supply as many crew members as possible....

All they had to do was access each illegal business takings times x years and give them the bill they would have to pay to become legit, then charge them the going business rates, if the owners did not agree kick them out and sell off to highest bidder... the money would have gone back into the local area and kept numerous Thai people in jobs, satisfy the tourists and still be one of the coolest beach hangouts I ever seen...

But hey-ho is Thailand so lets just make a complete B alll $ of it. I am sure there will be thousands of tourists who can not wait to book flights half way around the world to go to see a museum and sailing displays... lol please! you really can't make this crap up

I was there last week.

"Something better should have been worked out." - something better was worked out. It's called, "obeying the law."

Yes, I know, a crazy concept for Phuket, but that's what got Phuket here in the first place.

I was there last week.

"Something better should have been worked out." - something better was worked out. It's called, "obeying the law."

Yes, I know, a crazy concept for Phuket, but that's what got Phuket here in the first place.

Maybe you haven't seen it.

I imagine not.

If you had, I can't imagine thinking it's "better" than it was.

Garbage, tires, debris from demolition, etc.

The only thing better I can say is the quiet.

At least these places provided somewhere with at least some semblance of quality about them, especially Catch. Nice bar, comfortable, good restaurant and good facilities, great place to chill. Now what, a god-awful eyesore of a rubbish tip. It's all well and good to be on the crusade for high quality tourists (by which of course they mean BIG spending) but when you go and tear down the places they are likely to frequent and spend their dosh?? Where to now folks, some grotty all look-alike concrete beer bar in Bangtao with zero atmosphere and even less to look at. Nah, how about we skip Phuket altogether and go spend the money somewhere else.

I can REALLY see the kind of people who can afford to pay 5-10K per night to stay in hotels like Twin Palms going out to the 7 after breakfast, beach mat and towel in hand, to go buy a sweaty cheese sandwich and bottle of water, to then go and sit in a pile of rubbish with no shade (unless you want to stand for 15 minutes trying to fathom the 10% zone so you know where to stick your umbrella - oh you didn't forget to buy and bring that too did you?), no toilets, no bins, no nothing, not even the people who couldn't wait for these beaches to be returned to their 'natural beauty (Thai style)'. Plenty of other natural (zero facility) beaches in Phuket without having to make each and every one the same, especially when it's done in this way. The nature lovers, environmentalists and of course the cheap charlies have plenty of places to go already without demolishing the places the often derided folks with a bit more money and / or who folks who might simply want something a BIT more upmarket (and why not if they're willing to pay for it - if others don't like it, don't go) would prefer to go to. The tourist industry there needs to cater for all sorts, especially when targeting big spenders, not just the bottle of water and my own beach mat brigade, who also seem to now be strangely absent from the freshly 'restored' beach.

I'm sure there would have been far, far better solutions to sorting the problems of illegality (like all of a sudden that's a concern?? - somehow I can't quite work up the enthusiasm for a round of applause for this specific sudden change in wind direction with everything that goes on unchecked there) than this disaster, much more lucrative too.

Edited by SooKee