Orignal factory battery vs non original

I brought a second hand phone and the battery would only last about 2 hours Screen On TIme, so I brought another battery albeit a non original battery, this lasted about 2hrs 30 -3 hrs SOT so I thought it was just the phone/model wasnt that good.

As a last ditch before buying a new phone I brought an original battery, now I get a SOT of 5hrs 30 mins and 24hrs of off battery time.

So juts shows that always buy a original battery rather than the replicas that claim to be as good as the original.

No, it doesn't mean anything other than the non manufacturer batteries you bought were not that good. Did you check the mAH ratings on the batteries? Same or no?

I have used non manufacturer batteries in many things without issues. Some times they even last longer than the original battery, often they don't. Often the mAH rating is also less than the original. And price? I am sure the non original batteries were much cheaper than the original. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

If I can find a non original battery with the same mAh I buy it. It's a lot cheaper.

For exemple, for my camera (Olympus), I could buy 2 batteries for the price of the original one.

But as WhizBang said: check the mAh!

IMLE, often OEM batteries are just as likely to be fake.

It can be challenging to find real OEM batteries here. Add to that heat, age, storage and even OEM batteries can be problematic.

There are some good brands of after-market batteries out there. I use the same shop in MBK when refurbing phones for people, and have always had good luck.

What is the exact make/model of the phone? What is the part number and/or specs on the battery?

It's worth noting that most if not all small batteries are now made in China including the "originals". It is fair to say that chinese manufacturers are not so hot on quality but I have no issues with batteries from China (yet). As far as mobile phones, ipads and tablets go it should be common sense to make sure that all wireless functions are turned off when not in use. They can really drain your battery. Apart from that as others have said do pay attention to the capacity (mA/hr) of the battery and ensure that it matches the battery spec of your 'phone.

The phone and camera manufacturers aren't making their own batteries. They just slap their brand on them so there is not really an "OEM" battery.

Granted they assume responsibility for the quality and pick their suppliers accordingly but there is a good chance the "aftermarket" battery is made in the same factory side by side with the "original".

I have 3 generic batteries and they are all the same capacity as an original 3000 MaH but have varied results.

Lets put it this way I fully charged my phone last night before bed with the original battery in then took it off charge and it lost 1% in lover 8 hours, non of the generic batteries could do that they would all lose around 10-15%.

So my test say to me original battery have less drain on standby and SOT, maybe different for others.

The phone is an LG G3.

Not a new issue, had it with early devices I owned 10 years ago.

Battery came with new phone worked great for a year, replacements never achieved that new level of duration.

Attempts to buy new from your phone brand maker had very high prices, a 'Chinese equivalent' was usually no better than the one you were trying to replace.

My Mrs even had the OEM battery slyly swapped for a 'copy' when she put her phone in for a non-battery issue repair.

Edited by jacko45k

I might try to determine which apps. are using the bulk of the battery?

As phones age, typically more apps. get added which impact battery performance, and the battery loses a little capacity over time. Add to that, the local ambient temperatures can be a killer.

I've seen some issues with Google Play Services, and Cell Stand-by, are taxing the battery. In the former case, that is a well known issue, with some work-arounds available. In the latter case, the phone may be constantly switching between adjacent base-stations for a variety of reasons (exact location, load, services available).