Tourists injured as speedboats collide off Phi Phi

webfact

2 tourists dead, more than 50 injured in speedboat collision
Coconuts Bangkok

run1.jpg

PHUKET -- Two speedboats from Phuket collided at midday today near Phi Phi. The crash left two dead and more than 50 injured. The boats were carrying a majority of Chinese tourists.

Phuket Marine Police Deputy Superintendent Lt. Col. Prasert Srikunarat said that the two speedboats were called Chonlakij and Hongfa 33.

The collision happened when Chonlakij, carrying 36 people including passengers and crew, was traveling from Phuket to Phi Phi. Hongfa 33, carrying 26 people including passengers and crew, was going in the opposite direction from Phi Phi to Phuket, he said.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/06/08/2-tourists-dead-more-50-injured-speedboat-collision

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-06-08

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Phuket Rainradar images about 13:30

post-58566-0-48141700-1465387827_thumb.g

Edit: Animation didn't work on this platform. Removed.

Edited by Guest

I doubt the Chinese tour groups have the same safety expectations as Western tourists and expats.

I don't imagine Chinese boats are any better regulated.

The solutions are obvious to all except those running the businesses and those whose job it is to regulate them. who are at a bit of a loss (not a financial loss though)

“It was raining heavily,” Col. Lt. Prasert Srikhunrat said by telephone. “The sky was dark, so the two boats crashed into each other.”"

What a load of .....

Solution: Reduce speed, post an extra lookout or two and proceed with caution!

The boats crashed into each other due to poor seamanship, and likely excessive speed for the current conditions. We just arrived back from Krabi and while out on a private boat, I saw a few of these speedboats at a popular island beach stop with all three being overloaded, and more than likely insufficient safety gear.

It is very sad that these tourists got sucked into taking a trip on these 'Cattle Boats' and ended up being slaughtered...

As a former USCG Licensed Master and Marine Safety & Security Instructor, (USCG & MCA of the UK), I know that these types of accidents are largely preventable and almost always the result of operator error.

Hopefully this event will get the international attention it deserves, and some of the necessary changes will be made.

Unlikely there was not enough safety equipment and/or the boats were overloaded. All are checked very regularly, in certain places even daily.

>> regional marine police commander blamed on stormy weather.

Of course he blamed the weather, he couldn't really blame anything else without looking pretty incompetent on enforcing safety.

If the regional marine commander is not enforcing safety then he should lose his job. He is acting same as driver running away!

OK PM what you going to do with him and the speedboat drivers and owners? I,for one, would not be holding my breath over anything meaningful happening.coffee1.gif

I have been out in my speedboat off Phuket when it rains heavily and it is scary because visibility is no more than 10m so you have to slow right down to a crawl unless you have sat nav and radar interlinked. These idiots were no doubt doing about 30mph (or 13m per second giving an approach speed of 26m per second) so there was no possibility of avoidance of anything seen 25m away let alone the 10m or less you can see.

It might seem really unlucky to hit another boat in such a large area but if the drivers were using a sat nav (or similar phone app) the driver would likely be navigating by following a previous track and so is the other guy so the chances of collision really are not that small with the inevitable result sooner or later. These drivers (they are not captains) are not trained and have no common sense. From my own experience they do not know of the simple international rule that the starboard (to the right) boat has right of way and that if approaching another boat head on you turn to starboard.

It appears from the report that one boat did swerve and the other hit it amidships. I reckon one of then turned to port (left).

“It was raining heavily,” Col. Lt. Prasert Srikhunrat said by telephone. “The sky was dark, so the two boats crashed into each other.”"

What a load of .....

The boats crashed into each other due to poor seamanship, and likely excessive speed for the current conditions. We just arrived back from Krabi and while out on a private boat, I saw a few of these speedboats at a popular island beach stop with all three being overloaded, and more than likely insufficient safety gear.

It is very sad that these tourists got sucked into taking a trip on these 'Cattle Boats' and ended up being slaughtered...

As a former USCG Licensed Master and Marine Safety & Security Instructor, (USCG & MCA of the UK), I know that these types of accidents are largely preventable and almost always the result of operator error.

Hopefully this event will get the international attention it deserves, and some of the necessary changes will be made.

Unlikely there was not enough safety equipment and/or the boats were overloaded. All are checked very regularly, in certain places even daily.

I'm sorry, but what fantasy wonderland are you living in ??. I have been here 35 years and have internationally recognised certification for both Fast rescue Craft and small powered vessels, I can safely say that there is little to no inspection on any marine vessels that I have seen

Another day and more dead tourists in Thailand. They seem to think there is an endless supply of tourists and if a few get killed each day then no problem the baht is still coming in. Tourists are just a disposable commodity to thais and don't have any real value whilst there is an endless pit.

Phuket hospital releases names of tourists injured in deadly speedboat collision
The Phuket News

1465390825_1-org.jpg
Rescue teams transport the body of one of the victims of the deadly speedboat crash off Phuket earlier today (June 8). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- One man and a woman died in the accident that saw more than 50 people, mostly Chinese and Korean tourists, rushed to hospital in Phuket after the speedboats Chonlakij and Hongfa 33 collided between Koh Dokmai and Phi Phi Island at about midday.

Vachira Phuket Hospital, the main government hospital on the island, located in Phuket Town, late today issued a list of 21 names of patients received at that facility after the crash.

Among them was Yan Yang, 26, the woman who died from injuries sustained in the collision. Listed as serious was Liu Jie, 29, who suffered a serious head injury. Jin Haixian, 4 years old, also suffered a head injury, but the child’s condition was not reported.

Nine have been discharged from hospital care, while 11 were still receiving treatment, said the hospital.

DDPM did not report the whereabouts or condition of any other tourists or crewmen involved in the collision, though the Phuket Provincial Hospital in Rassada this afternoon reported one man dead on arrival at that facility.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-hospital-releases-names-of-tourists-injured-in-deadly-speedboat-collision-57778.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-09

Two dead, 20 injured in speedboat collision
Phuket Gazette

sb.jpeg
Chanakit 856 sank while it was being towed back to shore, shortly after the collision off Phi Phi. Photo supplied

PHUKET: -- Two tourists were killed and about 20 injured, many of the seriously, when two speed boats loaded with tourists collided near Phi Phi.

The boats, named Chanakit 856 and Hongfah 20 were carrying 36 and 26 passengers respectively.

The bodies of the dead tourists and the injured were ferried back to Phuket's Rassada pier where emergency services were waiting to transfer them to hospitals around town. Video PGTV/ Kritsada Mueanhawong

“We have yet to learn the cause of the accident. The owner of Chanakit 856 claimed that the other boat was going too fast and suddenly hit his boat,” said Prasert Srikunrat, deputy superintendent of the Marine Police Region 8.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Two-dead-20-injured-speedboat-collision-video/64030?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-06-09

What a load of .....

I'm sorry, but what fantasy wonderland are you living in ??. I have been here 35 years and have internationally recognised certification for both Fast rescue Craft and small powered vessels, I can safely say that there is little to no inspection on any marine vessels that I have seen

I see it every day. No overloading possible and life jackets for everybody compulsory.

Seems like you don't know the daily ins and outs of these boats.

Edited by stevenl

Nicolas32

Since only a very minute percentage of the Thai people who work on Phi Phi actually come from Phi Phi and the majority are from North of Bangkok - attracted by jobs in the tourist sector; your prejudiced comment on Southern Thais is pointless.

The Chinese are a good source of fresh meat for the Thais.

Very low standard of living for most and clueless about the dangers of Thailand.

Follow the guy with the red flag, don't ask questions and do as you are told. Just like back home.

RIP young Chinese people.

Too bad the Communist Chinese don't have facebook. Could make for some nice vacation photos to get the word out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websites_blocked_in_mainland_China

Edited by NCC1701A

Those in charge don't have a clue.

Is there any vessel monitoring on open water? No.

Are these boats fitted with any of the widely available vehicle monitoring systems? No.

Will these companies be prosecuted. No.

Are these boats suitable for use on open water? No.

Do these boats make hundreds of millions of Thai Baht annually. Yes

Do those in positions responsible ask these basic questions? No.

Those in charge don't have a clue.

Is there any vessel monitoring on open water? No.

Are these boats fitted with any of the widely available vehicle monitoring systems? No.

Will these companies be prosecuted. No.

Are these boats suitable for use on open water? No.

Do these boats make hundreds of millions of Thai Baht annually. Yes

Do those in positions responsible ask these basic questions? No.

With respect, to your last statement, I have a thought it could be yes. The "official" asked, was told "Yes" and given Baht and there the matter ended! No need to check up or do anything at all. Amazing Thailand. coffee1.gif

What a load of .....

I see it every day. No overloading possible and life jackets for everybody compulsory.

Not disputing your report of inspections, and as one who has under gone multiple commercial vessels inspections around the globe, I can say that the quality of the inspection and the standards being applied are vital to the overall success of the safety inspections.

In looking at some of the pictures of incident, many of the passengers being treated appear to be wearing light blue or grey 'Flotation Aids' or what the United States Coast Guard (USCG) classifies as a Type III Personal Flotation Device (PFD). These vests are primarily designed to aid the wearer to stay afloat while engaged in a sport activity such as snorkeling or water skiing. Designed for comfort, these vests are only intended for use in calm waters where fast rescue is possible, and most importantly they are not designed to self-right (turn-over) an unconscious victim to the face-up position.

Given the trip to Phi Phi is across open water, it would seem reasonable that vessel operators would be required to carry at minimum TYPE II PFD's, (Near Shore Buoyant Vests) for each passenger and others safety devices such as AIS, (Type cool.png, in addition to the standard running lights, Lifebuoy with light, signal flares and similar. I also question the stability of these speedboats when carrying over thirty (30) passengers, crew, fuel and provisions. This is a very large number for the type of vessel (10m?) and the intended area of operation, and cannot imagine how such a heavily loaded vessel safely operates in a heavy sea. In my past experience a vessel of this type would have at maximum maybe 16 passengers for protected waters, but more than likely be certified to carry a maximum of 12 for a day excursion, or less if carrying divers & their equipment when on a similar route.

Cheers

Edited by Wanderer555

What a load of .....

I see them every day. Driving like lunatics with no regard for other vessels or sea conditions, racing other vessels then cutting them up is de rigeur here, as is ignoring speed limits (why stick to the limit of 5 kts in the approach to Boat Lagoon/RPM when you can go 30?) And you call those cheap buoyancy aids lifejackets? Wooden boats with no built-in buoyancy and 600 hp safe in your opinion? Visibility through a small slit forward between canopy and opaque screen? No radar!!! Most dangerous place in the world to take a day trip, in my opinion - and I've worked in the industry world-wide for decades. I also agree with wanderer re overloading, regardless of local legal limits, 30-40 knots with so many people is ludicrous.

Edited by katatonic

What a load of .....

Not disputing your report of inspections, and as one who has under gone multiple commercial vessels inspections around the globe, I can say that the quality of the inspection and the standards being applied are vital to the overall success of the safety inspections.

In looking at some of the pictures of incident, many of the passengers being treated appear to be wearing light blue or grey 'Flotation Aids' or what the United States Coast Guard (USCG) classifies as a Type III Personal Flotation Device (PFD). These vests are primarily designed to aid the wearer to stay afloat while engaged in a sport activity such as snorkeling or water skiing. Designed for comfort, these vests are only intended for use in calm waters where fast rescue is possible, and most importantly they are not designed to self-right (turn-over) an unconscious victim to the face-up position.

Given the trip to Phi Phi is across open water, it would seem reasonable that vessel operators would be required to carry at minimum TYPE II PFD's, (Near Shore Buoyant Vests) for each passenger and others safety devices such as AIS, (Type cool.png, in addition to the standard running lights, Lifebuoy with light, signal flares and similar. I also question the stability of these speedboats when carrying over thirty (30) passengers, crew, fuel and provisions. This is a very large number for the type of vessel (10m?) and the intended area of operation, and cannot imagine how such a heavily loaded vessel safely operates in a heavy sea. In my past experience a vessel of this type would have at maximum maybe 16 passengers for protected waters, but more than likely be certified to carry a maximum of 12 for a day excursion, or less if carrying divers & their equipment when on a similar route.

Cheers

Those are the life jackets from the boat that rescued them from the water.

Have you seen the boats that were involved in this accident?

What a load of .....

"Those are the life jackets from the boat that rescued them from the water.

Have you seen the boats that were involved in this accident?"

Actually that is a really good observation, and no I have not seen any 'Lifejackets' that clearly belong to the vessels that were involved in the collision. It would seem strange to me that the rescue vessel would need to provide PFD's to the collision victims if the crew of the vessels involved had already provided their passengers with the proper safety equipment.

Perhaps you have evidence of these 'Lifejackets' being provided by the vessel crew? If so, I would appreciate seeing this as it would help calm my feelings that the vessels were overloaded and under-equipped for the trip.

Cheers!

Edited by Wanderer555