Advice needed: Body builders & Athletes - Protein Consumption

Jake801

I'm way out of date on this, but my first thought would be to bring with me some form of EAA's, then also look at things like Spirulina for more proteins in a powder form (the latter is available here via internet if you don't want to bring with you - and surprisingly high in protein for its weight), then top up with more conventional food as you travel to keep weight of product to carry lower.

I posted this week (perhaps in the wrong forum looking at this since there were no responses) about sources of Albumin. While researching that I found that Albumin apparently can trigger the production of other Non-EAA's (useful for older people, even if not hardcore gym goers).

You can go to any central supermarket run by Tops, you can buy just about everything from cooked chicken breast to hard boiled eggs, tuna salmon, a large array of nuts , the whole lot. You only need 75 grams twice a day so you can buy a small can of tuna for post workout and some chicken breast sticks of the street for 10 baht a piece as a night time snack. Also a lot of these street vendors also cook sweet potato so you can have that for your slow realise carbs.

pork is cheap,eggs,cans of fish in the 7/11,and bring your own powder.eat som tam every day and you will keep body fat down.eat chili as much as you can.Then you can enjoy chang beer and whiskey all day long.Chiang mai has a big gym called go gym very good place to train 60 bhat per day,great gym.and the waterford diamond hotel bkk great gym,and many cheap gyms in hui hin.

Excellent stuff guys. I will check out Makro, Tescos and the Top Supermarket places.

Cheers also for the info on gyms, I'll keep my eye out on my travels but it's good to know a rough pay as you go price.

Ah Chillie and Tam you say? (Im assuming the tam refers to papaya salad - I had to google it?) Brilliant I will defo be getting that down me too.

Particularly appreciate the comment on Chang beer and Thai whiskey - I fully intent to enjoy that local delicacy ?

If anyone finds themselves in my position in the future, I'll be happy to write down my experience at end of travels and what worked best. From googling prior to posting on this forum, it's obviously quite a common conversation topic for gym goers who travel so we shall see.

if your still in hongkong, you may be able to pickup a cheap pressure cooker, I brought one from aussie as I found the pork a bit tough here, makes great pulled pork as pork shoulder is quite cheap in supermarkets. You can also pickup a cheap benchtop oven cooker about 1000bht cooks chicken veg nicely.

if your still in hongkong, you may be able to pickup a cheap pressure cooker, I brought one from aussie as I found the pork a bit tough here, makes great pulled pork as pork shoulder is quite cheap in supermarkets. You can also pickup a cheap benchtop oven cooker about 1000bht cooks chicken veg nicely.

And you carry things like that around in your suitcase while traveling a country?

Travelling with a pressure cooker and benchtop oven cooker. Most people wouldn't have thought of that.

And you carry things like that around in your suitcase while traveling a country?

I live here and travel back and forth to home for work.

Travelling with a pressure cooker and benchtop oven cooker. Most people wouldn't have thought of that.

yea Rob, when I first came here I thought food would be easy. I soon discovered I either didnt like the local food or didnt know what went into it. Thais usually load their cooking with sugar, msg, salt and cheap cooking oil. This way I have total control of my meals with protien / carb / fat ratio. 80% of what you look like and training recovery is what u eat.

Please re-read the OP and see if your comment is still applicable. Reading the first full sentence should be enough.

Please re-read the OP and see if your comment is still applicable. Reading the first full sentence should be enough.

I guess your not a bodybuilder, I would carry cooking utensils before gym singlets (I used to carry the george forman grill), you can buy cheap training clothes at any market but food is priority if your serious about training. each to his own I guess. Their really isnt packs of meat, protien powder price is through the roof and tuna here is loaded with flavoring and tastes crap. The imported stuff is quite expensive.

I guess your not a bodybuilder, I would carry cooking utensils before gym singlets (I used to carry the george forman grill), you can buy cheap training clothes at any market but food is priority if your serious about training. each to his own I guess. Their really isnt packs of meat, protien powder price is through the roof and tuna here is loaded with flavoring and tastes crap. The imported stuff is quite expensive.

I doubt you are a bodybuilder either, although you do seem to confirm to the stereotypical "more muscle than brain". tongue.png

The OP is planning on traveling around the country and will most likely stay in hotels with limited to no fridge space, no space to cook foods in the room, and no opportunities to travel with heavy equipment.

So you advice him to carry around about 10kg of cooking utensils so he can sit in front of his hotel cooking some chicken steaks?

To me it sounds easier to buy 7-11 boiled eggs, grilled chicken from street side vendors, and cans of tuna on water.

But each to his own I guess.

Yes cheers Bob you have the right idea with the travelling. "hotels with limited to no fridge space, no space to cook foods in the room, and no opportunities to travel with heavy equipment."

BigT you are completely right if I was planning on moving to Thailand for a seriously long period of time - of course I would cook myself etc. But as its travelling, the point of this post was try and make the best of a tricky situation. I am of course planning on enjoying my time in Thailand so wouldn't jeopardize that by hiding away cooking in my room :)

But again thanks for all advice guys, bloody useful you lot.

Also to the guy who posted the picture of the outside gym in Bangkok - looks a right laugh so may give it a visit. Only in bangkok for a few short stays here and there but why not eh.

In addition to what's been mentioned already:

- In many TOPS supermarkets you can buy pre-made protein shakes. Rumble ready-to-drink has 25g whey protein, is sugar free, and contains added fiber/omega 3. Better shake has 20g whey protein in the vanilla variety and 28g whey protein in the chocolate flavor. (I'd avoid the Meiji branded "protein milk" but YMMV.)

- Look for either Chobani or Moo unflavored Greek style yogurts. Both around 15g per serving of protein and are low in carbs/sugar; add in some pumpkin kernels and you've got a great protein/fiber snack.

- Inside the Asoke BTS station is a "health food" store. Stocks both Quest and Oh Yeah! protein bars, both of which are low carb/low sugar.

- Plenty of grilled fish/grilled chicken options wrt street food. (TOPS often has pre-cooked grilled salmon as well.)

You can also ditch into MK suki and order beef chicken fish for the pot. it gets a bit pricey everyday. It was my go to restaurant when I trained hard. just worry about the sodium in the dipping sauce. They will also make fruit drinks without sugar if you ask them. I have friends that have IFBB cards and they used to come here all the time. Its salt that is the killer in this country.

You can also buy a cheap rice cooker and steam chicken in it. easy to carry around.

Whey in ziplocks is fine its not a white powder. Tuna is filled with mercury so not a bulk option and Soy milk has plant estrogen.so a no no.

Archived