Jools to close after nearly 30 years

rott

Really gonna change lower suk, aren't they

I don't have a problem with it. They have some OK pubs around there anyway, you can get a beer cheaper in those places than in the beer bars of Nana anyway and not much interested in the bar girls and all that stuff

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with it. They have some OK pubs around there anyway, you can get a beer cheaper in those places than in the beer bars of Nana anyway and not much interested in the bar girls and all that stuff

It would appear that changes are on the way.

Some on here probably won't be happy until the area is full of gospel halls I reckon.

Edited by overherebc

Some on here probably won't be happy until the area is full of gospel halls I reckon.

Once again, the ridiculous, childish false dichotomy that anyone who doesn't pay for sex must be a religious prude. Rather than just a normal guy.

Isn't just case of there appears to be a lot of people out there who just can't live their own life without trying to enforce their own ideas on others?

I honestly and really don't care how others get their jollies and I think other people should just leave me alone to enjoy my life the way I want as long as my way causes no harm to others.

The people who are making real comments on Jools I reckon are people who have been here a long time, from the Kim Fletcher days through to the Big Dave days, at times even the British Embassy staff had some meetings upstairs, a few years ago I admit so the majority of comments from people who actually know the history of the place are the only ones worth anything.

Re'my comment on gospel halls, it was made because in general the most intolerant people in the world are usually the self proclaimed religious type.

Once again, the ridiculous, childish false dichotomy that anyone who doesn't pay for sex must be a religious prude. Rather than just a normal guy.

Once again, the ridiculous, childish false dichotomy that anyone having a drink in Soi 4 must be there to pay for sex. Rather than just a normal guy who likes to have a few (or more than a few) beers and goes to a bar like Jools because (a) he enjoys the craic with like minded people and (B) he enjoys the absence of the sleeveless, sweaty armpit types with great fat guts and Bobby Charlton haircuts who infest the bars at the top of the Soi.

Once again, the ridiculous, childish false dichotomy that anyone having a drink in Soi 4 must be there to pay for sex. Rather than just a normal guy who likes to have a few (or more than a few) beers and goes to a bar like Jools because (a) he enjoys the craic with like minded people and (B) he enjoys the absence of the sleeveless, sweaty armpit types with great fat guts and Bobby Charlton haircuts who infest the bars at the top of the Soi.

A pitch black day for the sexpat community in Bangkok

Stupid comment that really.

Obviously never been in the bar.

That was one good thing about Jools, because it didn't look like all the other bars on your first look in the door it didn't attract the 'can't enjoy a beer in Bangkok unless I'm looking at tits type' .

It took a while before you could 'settle in' to Jools, especially when Dave was holding court.

Did have some weird characters, anyone remember Jeff who spent a while carrying a skull about with him. When sober a very nice guy but when had a few changed completely but still never ever became the nasty character that most expats seem to do nowadays, just got a bit crazier/silly.

I still keep in regular contact with a few guys I met in there though most have moved to other countries.

Haven't found another bar like it.

Us legendary boozers found it rather tame at times.

A few good evenings back in the day though I must admit.

Occasionally smokie you get it right. This is not one of those occasions however.

A "legendary boozer"who likes the bars of four and five star hotels, and recommends the middle class gentility of Hemingways found Jools tame at times??

Well anywhere that is open fifteen or sixteen hours a day is bound to have it's quiet moments. But I have known few places that beat Jools in it's prime for humour and repartee. Perhaps I should try Hemingways again.

I would also be a "legendary boozer" if I did not have such a low tolerance for alcohol. :(

You don't know what the word 'dichotomy' means, do you?

You don't know what the word 'dichotomy' means, do you?

Anything to do with a sex change ???

You would not know a dizzy intellectual height if you fell off one. You probably think it ia a rooftop cigar bar.

And as for dichotomy you would be on one side and a Soi 4 drinker on the other. (I passed "O" Level English Language in the years before they began throwing certificates round like confetti).

Edited by rott

• 2 weeks later...

Good bar, nice staff I regularly had a few there when in BKK. Lots of history to Jools which makes a bar.

Also I beleive Hillary 1 and other bars in the car park area there are to close for 6 months for a re vamp. Not sure of the full plan.

Morning-Night is to be taken back by the owners.

Soi 11 where Cheap Charlies and the restraunts in that area Tapas, Snapper and the Mexican will close to build a condo.

Edited by baneko

Also I beleive Hillary 1 and other bars in the car park area there are to close for 6 months for a re vamp. Not sure of the full plan

The place is being raised with the idea of creating a 'walking street' style entertainment complex. 6 months though? I won't hold my breath.

Also I beleive Hillary 1 and other bars in the car park area there are to close for 6 months for a re vamp. Not sure of the full plan

The place is being raised with the idea of creating a 'walking street' style entertainment complex. 6 months though? I won't hold my breath.

It was something along the same lines I heard. One of the girls said 6 months...probably longer.

I hate to hear about all the old smaller places being closed. I dont make it to Bkk often but when I do I like Jools. I also like the Tavern. Scott is a real great guy. sad to hear its on the block. I hope he is just bored and not ill. He was hitting it pretty hard a while back. He works his keester off running the place. wirh all the early early am sports.......

I hate to hear about all the old smaller places being closed. I dont make it to Bkk often but when I do I like Jools. I also like the Tavern. Scott is a real great guy. sad to hear its on the block. I hope he is just bored and not ill. He was hitting it pretty hard a while back. He works his keester off running the place. wirh all the early early am sports.......

• 4 months later...

It looks like Bangkok and Soi 4 is finally growing up,leaving behind the image of overweight,wheezing and gasping,diabetic expats unshaven in filthy Chang vests with 3-day old food and beer stains down them!
Nobody wants to see,listen or smell these types anymore they just lower the tone of any area they inhabit.Thank goodness the authorities have seen fit to decimate their grazing grounds and give us all a welcome break.
Bangkok is changing and Nana Plaza plus Soi Cowboy are literally on their last legs,they won't be missed and nor will this seedy,backwater dive or its nightime denizens it will give them more time to work on their personal hygiene.