Meet the eleven year old caring for paralysed mum in Sukhothai

webfact

Meet the eleven year old caring for paralysed mum in Sukhothai

s5.jpg
Image: tnamacot

SUKOTHAI: -- Eleven year old Nichapha Nonmee or Nong Orm cares for her paralysed mum all alone - she wants to become a teacher and fulfill her mother's dreams.

Reporters who had heard the touching story went to find the Por 6 (end of primary) student at the Ban Khon Sung school in Sawankhalok district of the northern Thai province reported tnamcot.

She said that every day she rushes home after her studies with handouts from the school canteen for her mum as they have very little income - just a monthly handicapped person's allowance of 800 baht. At the weekend Nong Orm works for 50 baht a day at a Khanom Jeen (noodle) factory. The money goes towards her mum's care.

After school she explained that she didn't want to leave her mum alone but her studies were very important. She cycled the three kilometers back home to find proud mum Jaew Loilert waiting for her lunch.

Nong Orm said that her ambition was to study to be a teacher thus fulfilling her mother's dreams and be a good role model.

Source: tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-10

Brings life into perspective a bit. Most of us on this forum live like millionaires (that's USD) in comparison.

Any members in Sukothai who could act as a channel for our goodwill?

Nice story.

I've had Thais say to me "I wish my country had a better healthcare system like yours". I said "You can. The money and resources are here" A lot of Thais just think Thailand is poor and this is life.

Thais love a sentimental story like this, they even write songs about this sort of scenario. However, nothing is ever done to improve the lot of the disabled and 0.5% of the people still own more than 50% of the wealth of the country. Something could be done to improve the lot of families like this, but it won't be.

What a heartwarming story!

Of course, no one could see anything wrong with an 11-year old, taking care of her paralyzed mother ALONE, living of 800 THB a month and having to work in noodle factory, to make ends meet!

Aaaaaaaw....such a good girl! (which she is, obviously, but....what the @#$%?!)bah.gif

A lot of people are aware already because of this TV passage. So if someone wants to help they can. But i guess no one will help, money is more important than anything else here in this country. Also how can a 11 yrs old work at a factory, that's totally illegal.

I may be jumping to conclusions, but isn't it a shame

that the father/husband always seems to be absent

from these scenarios.

If these two poor souls are getting by on government

handouts surely some more money supplied by the

absentee father would help them live a happier life.

As I say, I am just guessing that he has left them

but unfortunately it does seem to be the case more

often than not.

Great to see her plight make the news and hopefully gets some more assistance both monetary and physical.

In the meantime get human rights down to the Khamon Jeen noodle factory and stick a rocket up their ass!

50 baht a day is child slave labour and they would know her plight the bloody parasites.

Edited by The stuttering parrot

As Prayuth says, everything is not always as it seems. They look quite well cared for to me. I'm not buying the 50 baht a day crap. There will be all manner of uncles, aunts and cousins.

A family of 4 lived in a van for 6 months in my country.

Wake up. Everybody's poor.

As Prayuth says, everything is not always as it seems. They look quite well cared for to me. I'm not buying the 50 baht a day crap. There will be all manner of uncles, aunts and cousins.

I agree, most likely they have help from relatives too. No way they can live on 50 baht per day if they have to pay for utilities too. For those bashing the factory, I'm guessing she probably works there for only 1-2 hours hence a low salary. If you think about it, there is no way she works there even half a day due to her schooling.

Not trying to bring down the story, the girl deserves a lot of praise for being strong at such a young age and caring for her mom.

Oh there are some <deleted> in here who really care, sitting in their and never been outside their aircon. apartment, or bar trying to survive on a pittance, <deleted>, some people make me want to spew.

Nice story.

I've had Thais say to me "I wish my country had a better healthcare system like yours". I said "You can. The money and resources are here" A lot of Thais just think Thailand is poor and this is life.

""The money and resources are here""

The money and resources exist in the west too, but an amazing number of people live homeless, hungry and without adequate medical care in the wealthiest countries in the world too.

Unfortunately our response is often that "someone should do something" or we express anger at the government or the businesses that pay slave wages, while we remain totally blind and indifferent to people in our own immediate environment who live in deplorable conditions.

Equally poor people in many villages probably offer more continuing support to their neighbors in need from their own meager resources than we (and I include myself) do for people in our own "neighborhoods."

If you head down Pattaya Tai on market days there are always a fair number of people begging. I know there is a cynical attitude towards street beggars and no end of excuses available for not giving them anything and jokes about them having a Mercedes parked around the corner or that they are working for some syndicate that pockets the money they collect ... but it still amazes me how many people walk down the street literally blind to their presence. I think a lot of people feel they'll be regarded as suckers if they hand over a little cash. Maybe a fear that they'll lose face by letting some blind or disabled person scam them out of 20 or 50 baht.

Yes, nearly all governments have failed to provide adequately for their "marginal" citizens. Yes, stories like this one stir us at least for a few minutes before we move on to the next news story, but I wonder how many of us regularly do anything to help even if it amounts to a small drop in a large ocean ... aside from helping some girl's family to buy an ox to replace the one that died.

This is quite prevalent throughout Asia , here in Thailand when you look around at the situation u have the self appointed Junta spending millions on chasing students , military budgets, High speed trains , the EC worrying about the unfavorable content on Facebook and spending millions on trying to stop it , wasting millions on short term solutions , like the water crisis , millions on a referendum , millions on trying to block internet and media content , and all this falls into insignificance when you see this young lady looking after her Mum, makes you think the Junta might win a few new friends if it stopped the B/S and started on more meaningful programs for the Thai people , that way they might just win some better friends...............................................coffee1.gif .

Edited by chainarong

Nice story.

The money and resources exist in the west too, but an amazing number of people live homeless, hungry and without adequate medical care in the wealthiest countries in the world too.

Unfortunately our response is often that "someone should do something" or we express anger at the government or the businesses that pay slave wages, while we remain totally blind and indifferent to people in our own immediate environment who live in deplorable conditions.

Equally poor people in many villages probably offer more continuing support to their neighbors in need from their own meager resources than we (and I include myself) do for people in our own "neighborhoods."

If you head down Pattaya Tai on market days there are always a fair number of people begging. I know there is a cynical attitude towards street beggars and no end of excuses available for not giving them anything and jokes about them having a Mercedes parked around the corner or that they are working for some syndicate that pockets the money they collect ... but it still amazes me how many people walk down the street literally blind to their presence. I think a lot of people feel they'll be regarded as suckers if they hand over a little cash. Maybe a fear that they'll lose face by letting some blind or disabled person scam them out of 20 or 50 baht.

Yes, nearly all governments have failed to provide adequately for their "marginal" citizens. Yes, stories like this one stir us at least for a few minutes before we move on to the next news story, but I wonder how many of us regularly do anything to help even if it amounts to a small drop in a large ocean ... aside from helping some girl's family to buy an ox to replace the one that died.

I C where you are coming from , It is hardly our job to manage the situation, it is the government job, and whilst there has been some advancement like a small pension, to much is taken on coups , military waste, and another institution whose use by date expired last month., they have failed the people, in more ways than one , to serve their own self centred , small minded purpose.

Edited by chainarong

I agree, most likely they have help from relatives too. No way they can live on 50 baht per day if they have to pay for utilities too. For those bashing the factory, I'm guessing she probably works there for only 1-2 hours hence a low salary. If you think about it, there is no way she works there even half a day due to her schooling.

Not trying to bring down the story, the girl deserves a lot of praise for being strong at such a young age and caring for her mom.

It does say she works at the noodle factory at the weekends. So it is entirely possible that she works a much longer shift than 1-2 hours. School doesn't extend to the weekends.

This young girl warms my heart. What a beautiful soul, I wish I could donate some money to help her as she is getting exploited massively by the factory boss and the govt paying a paltry 800B per month. I wish this girl every success and bit of happiness in the future as she richly deserves it.

I live in Sawankhalok, about 30 km from that girls school (Sawankhalok is big, it was a province by itself until the 1930's).

As she is a child the noodle factory don't need to pay the 300 Baht minimum wage and get away with a measly 50 Baht.

I'm not a rich man but I will do what I can to help her.

It does say she works at the noodle factory at the weekends. So it is entirely possible that she works a much longer shift than 1-2 hours. School doesn't extend to the weekends.

my bad then! perhaps we should lay the big stick down on the factory if she is working more than 1-2 hours!

I may be jumping to conclusions, but isn't it a shame

that the father/husband always seems to be absent

from these scenarios.

If these two poor souls are getting by on government

handouts surely some more money supplied by the

absentee father would help them live a happier life.

As I say, I am just guessing that he has left them

but unfortunately it does seem to be the case more

often than not.

Bloody right you're jumping to conclusions. Why malign the woman's husband when you know absolutely nothing of the circumstances that led to this situation?

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

Nice story.

Yea, I was just commenting on this case and point. If I were to comment on all the other situations, I'd be here all day and it wouldn't be relative to Thailand.

I'll let people on <URL Automatically Removed>, etc discuss their local matters. I doubt very much that they point to matters here (Thailand) as a justification of poor standards where they are.

my bad then! perhaps we should lay the big stick down on the factory if she is working more than 1-2 hours!

Indeed. I wonder if some pressure could be brought to bear on the factory?

I live in Sawankhalok, about 30 km from that girls school (Sawankhalok is big, it was a province by itself until the 1930's).

As she is a child the noodle factory don't need to pay the 300 Baht minimum wage and get away with a measly 50 Baht.

Kasset Tak: I have sent you a PM, okay ?

thumbsup.gif

Hopefully the wishes of some posters will not come true and the girl can continue to work at the noodle factory - the alternative is to terminate her and leave her 100 baht a week worse off.

400 baht a month income loss would be a third of the family income gone.

If you think the factory will increase her wages......keep dreaming.

I'd even hazard a guess and say that the factory is well aware of her plight and are trying to help her out with a little extra money, I can't imagine an 11 year old would actually be doing an adults job at the same level of productivity.

Kasset Tak: I have sent you a PM, okay ?

thumbsup.gif

(1) Kasset Tak and Jaap,

I would like to know what you have in mind. Would you PM me, please? I suspect you are going to try and help this girl. Or, better still, you may want to consider posting it here on Thai Visa. I think there will be more kind people here on TV.

(2) By the way, what happened to this brave girl:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/903480-photo-of-student-mum-taking-her-baby-to-class-sparks-debate-on-thai-social-media/ ??

See posts 42 and 54 but IGNORE post 46.

Sorry I'm not real savvy about computers and how to get a quote .

I know I can't and do not have a go at a personal post only the subject but I see a post on here that hopes an 11 year old doesn't lose her job on 50 baht a day because it will cost her family 400 baht a month that's sat and sun away from the family or mum.

Please beam me up Scotty!

Edited by The stuttering parrot