The Cost of Qantas Baggage Transfer

Kered

I have commented previously on the problem of transferring luggage to Qantas from a Domestic carrier. They insist that you must have a through ticket.

Having just tried to book a business class flight with Qantas to Melbourne the extra cost quoted to add a Thai Airways flight to Chiang Mai is Baht 31,936 so that my baggage would be transferred on the return flight. This an extract from the quote provided by Qantas Bangkok office.

DEAR SIR FARE ONLY BKK ---BKK ON BUSINESS CLASS

THB 104200/TAX 4495 TTL 108695/PERSON
FARE INCLUDE TG BUSINESS CLASS THB 126135 TAX4495
TTL 130630/PERSON

it's a stitch-up, isn't it. wink.png

So much, for being Smooth as Silk or a Boutique-Airline, they just want to screw their passengers rather than build loyalty through good service. bah.gif

Nil illegitimi carborundum ! Vote with your feet, for the cheaper (if less-convenient) way of doing things. wai2.gif

It has always been cheaper to buy two seperate tickets one to BKK and one to Australia than one ticket. Same with singapore silkair to singapore and Australia.

The diference is large. about 10000 on economy.

Only problem with seperate tickets is that if the first is delayed or cancelled and you cannot make the finishing flight the airline has no responsibility to you so it is important if you do so that the ticket is either refundible (and you have the money to buy a new one with you) or have good travel insurance or both.

So much, for being Smooth as Silk or a Boutique-Airline, they just want to screw their passengers rather than build loyalty through good service. bah.gif

Nil illegitimi carborundum ! Vote with your feet, for the cheaper (if less-convenient) way of doing things. wai2.gif

Qantas is a Boutique airline?

Qantas is a Boutique airline?

I was talking about the possibilities for CNX-BKK, before transferring onto onward long-haul flights.

It often used to be possible (especially outbound) for the past several years, to interline one's hold-luggage despite having two separate tickets ... this very-useful option has recently (from late-March in the case of PG) been withdrawn, as many unaware passengers will discover over the next several months. wink.png

Instead you're supposed to buy a vastly-more-expensive single-ticket, I wouldn't be so tee'd-off it were a reasonable add-on cost for the domestic-leg to/from BKK , or indeed if the search-engines even showed the option.

Haven't flown Qantas in many years, but they were definitely better than BA, in those days ... how are they now ?

Just an idea....QANTAS and Emirates code share. Emirates has more agreements than QANTAS.....also Emirates is much less trouble to deal with than the QANTAS bangkok agents (they impose silly conditions like have to physically go to the BKK office witthin 7 days if using a credit card).

Even if you want to fly on a QANTAS flights book it as Emirates.

Qantas used to code share with Thai as well, yes?

Not too sure of that.

They did have some codesharing with Bangkok Airlines. http://www.cleartrip.ae/flight-booking/qantas-airways-chiang-rai-bangkok-flights.html has some 2 year old info on Bangkok and thai.

I do not think they code shared with Thai though. Thai is Star and QANTAS One world.

Qantas used to code share with Thai as well, yes?

Not too sure of that.

They did have some codesharing with Bangkok Airlines. http://www.cleartrip.ae/flight-booking/qantas-airways-chiang-rai-bangkok-flights.html has some 2 year old info on Bangkok and thai.

I do not think they code shared with Thai though. Thai is Star and QANTAS One world.

I thought they had an LAX-BKK-Brisbane that code-shared 5-10 years ago.

Wouldn't bet on it though...

This have more to do with regulations than anything. If your bag is checked through, and you miss your connection they either have to find you, or pull your bag off.

That is the same whether you have one ticket or two.

This have more to do with regulations than anything. If your bag is checked through, and you miss your connection they either have to find you, or pull your bag off.

That is the same whether you have one ticket or two.

Yes, but they have more control, take more responsibility and get more money for it.