Thaksin Banned From Entering Thailand

george

:D that is funny!

what a country this is. I remember the singer "Bert" being sent away for a few years as well.

poor old Thaksin, no country wants him. :D

:o POOR ??? And what about the crimes he committed to his own people ??? If I should be PM, I would send him to the Northpole without 1 Baht !! And NEVER allow him to enter one foot in Thailand anymore...

The day they gonna allow him entering Thailand again, THAT would be asking for trouble !!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just renewed my visa / work permit for the fourth year in a row. It has been a lot more of a hassle than in previous years, mostly immigration were really uncomfortable, and almost canceled my visa, although the same company had the same paperwork provided! They accepted, after a 7 hour ordeal, not without warning me that "things have changed now". I saw a lot of agitated falangs that day.

So much for all those foreigners who believe that they can now wander in and out a lot more easily without Thaksin.

When you are under one of the several priviledged visa categories, things are nicer than ever now. Somehow as if the government needs to prove their goodwill to the rest of the world, or, better, to the people there that matter, or that the government imagines so.

I hear though from many that are not that priviledged that things have changed to the worse lately, very much along similar lines you described here.

So much for his Suwarnabhumi airport "return with dignity". There would be anti and pro-Thaksin there to greet him and maybe confrontations, that the country doesn't need for a while, even if only verbal.

Smart move.

You seem to forget that even if he made some money xtra, his the only one that made life a little bit better for the pour people, 30 bath for Medicare, and prolonging school instead 6 to 8 years and some more.

The airport has Been projected since 30 years back and all the involved at that time before Thaksin got rich.

Now junta wants to reverse all those things like Medicare for 30 bath and all the good things that came out of Thaksins 6 years and putting Thailand back 30 years in history, I cant see that this is what you want

30 baht medicare?Good way to go bankrupt!! :o:D:D:D

Why need it be the way to go bankrupt? We had a similar thing in the UK called the national health everyone contributed to but that the rich contributed much more to so that it was available to all - what we have now is a system that is bankrupt - not becuase it is free but because successive governents are not prepared to tax people to pay for it - which has allowed the musrooming of private medical companys which serve the rich and middle class for a profit! The mark of a good government is that they look after the poor even if it reduces their election chances - though would it? It strikes me that there are many more poor people in Thalland! The aims for the new government should be free medical/dental/optical care, free education to university level with living grants for students.

So much for his Suwarnabhumi airport "return with dignity". There would be anti and pro-Thaksin there to greet him and maybe confrontations, that the country doesn't need for a while, even if only verbal.

Smart move.

You seem to forget that even if he made some money xtra, his the only one that made life a little bit better for the pour people, 30 bath for Medicare, and prolonging school instead 6 to 8 years and some more.

The airport has Been projected since 30 years back and all the involved at that time before Thaksin got rich.

Now junta wants to reverse all those things like Medicare for 30 bath and all the good things that came out of Thaksins 6 years and putting Thailand back 30 years in history, I cant see that this is what you want

You're so right! they want to scrap the 30 Baht medicare system and replace it with a free one. :o

There has not been one single negative move since 19 September.

It has all been for the common good, and that is what democracy is all about (isn't it)

Let him stew wherever he is.

Creative accounting for tax purposes is acceptable however pre meditated tax avoidence is definitely a jail term in any country.

The whole family, wife, kids, gardener, maid, friends are all involved and need to face the music too.

Can wait to see how this one turns out.

I have just renewed my visa / work permit for the fourth year in a row. It has been a lot more of a hassle than in previous years, mostly immigration were really uncomfortable, and almost canceled my visa, although the same company had the same paperwork provided! They accepted, after a 7 hour ordeal, not without warning me that "things have changed now". I saw a lot of agitated falangs that day.

So much for all those foreigners who believe that they can now wander in and out a lot more easily without Thaksin.

When you are under one of the several priviledged visa categories, things are nicer than ever now. Somehow as if the government needs to prove their goodwill to the rest of the world, or, better, to the people there that matter, or that the government imagines so.

I hear though from many that are not that priviledged that things have changed to the worse lately, very much along similar lines you described here.

JR Texas: Once again, I think it important to understand that the new visa/business rules and regulations are the product of Thaksin's thinking. They are Thaksins' rules and regulations. They remain even in his absence. The new rules/regs. did not suddenly appear after he was tossed out.

During his tenure Thaksin made significant changes to the visa/business rules and regulations, making it more and more difficult/expensive for foreigners to live and/or work in the Kingdom.

The new govt. can do more than simply ban him from coming back to Thailand. They can also throw his outdated and destructive ideas out along with him, especially those related to the visa/business rules and regulations that are crippling Thailand's economy and hurting foreign investment.

Smart move.

30 baht medicare?Good way to go bankrupt!! :o:D:D:D

Are u sure about the bankruptcy? I saw on Thai visa in newspaper clipping the Thailand had $60 billion US dollars in the bank? That doesn't sound as though these schemes was sending the country broke. Thaksin style was like an Asian Margaret Thatcher; u either liked him or u didn't. :D

You're so right! they want to scrap the 30 Baht medicare system and replace it with a free one. :o

There has not been one single negative move since 19 September.

It has all been for the common good, and that is what democracy is all about (isn't it)

No, democracy is mostly about elections.

or, if you prefer a better worded definition:

Democracy (literally "rule by the people", from the Greek demos, "people," and kratos, "rule") is a form of government for a nation state, or for an organization in which all the citizens have an equal vote or voice in shaping policy. While the term democracy is often used in the context of a political state, the principles are also applicable to other bodies, such as universities, labor unions, public companies, or civic organizations.

Many people here do criticise some of the moves. Such as the lowering of the rice price, which is not exactly good for the farmers, or why suddenly military officers do have to sit on boards of state owned corporations, or why Meechai is president of the NLA, or why the NLA of 250 members, supposed to represent the people, has more than 70 military officers, the rest mostly burocrats.

etc...

I think that the problem is that if Thaksin returned, then he would be able to grandstand and generally comment that he was the elected leader of Thailand. The logic in that is true and not argueable with, certainly not by members of the Junta. Foreign countries with limited understanding of the reasons behind the Coup, would place Thailand on a par with Burma and North Korea for imprisoning political opponents, thus giving greater face to Thaksin, now the persecuted.

Surayud knows this and cannot risk the presence of the last democratically elected (no matter how flawed that process was) politician to be in the same country as him, the present, unelected leader. You can imagine the farce of every action taken or proposed by Surayud then being run past Thaksin by the foreign and local media for comment.

He has to ban him, however illogical the prospect of making him stateless, allbeit temporarily, is.

On a final note, it would be a shrewd political move by Thaksin to simply get on TG917 from LHR and when he is turned round, as inevitably be the case, the full force of the UK's asylem system would have to swing into action (as there would be no other grounds for re-entry to UK). This spectacle would be a huge embarressment for the Junta, as similarites could then be drawn with such hotspots as Zimbabwe, Iran, North Korea etc., which all have their fair share of political asylem seekers in the UK.

I like this post as it poses a situation that could become a reality. Just imagine Toxin did get on TG917 and arrive to be turned back. He would indeed be a refugee in England and therefore entitled to all the free handouts available to refugees. Free milk, schooling for the kids, free housing (although he probably has a better quality pad than HMG would allocate), free bus pass and of course a social worker to ease his passage into English society. After a while (3 years) there would be no problem with British Nationality and he could then make his way in the British political system and even end up a Prime Minister. If I had a magic wand I would wish this on the UK just to give the m an idea how a real politico works. Wonder which party he would join?? Possibly "Thaksin (UK) Corp." As part of the EC he could offer advice to all and sundry, he might even decide to buy Turkey or Greece.

Smart move.

The 30 Baht medicare was an idea from the democrats that run the country before Taksin. He only implemented it.

The biggest problem with the B30 health scheme was the continued under funding of the hospitals. Many of them had run up huge debts with no joy in sight. Now that some of the people get free medical it is hoped that the funding will match that required to maintain proper services.

As an expat and a guest of Thailand it is best to walk softly. However under the previous government there did seem to be a gradual weakening of the independence of various Instumentalities and Authorities. Leadership eroded by nepotism and cronyism. It is heartening to see some of the damage being slowly rectified.

As for Mr Taksin's status, there is little doubt that he would be a destablising influence were he to return. In the interests of the country the present government should use any legal means possible to block this from happening. However with so many corruption inquiries going on one wonders if he is genuinely thinking of returning or just doing what he always did best - showboating.

//Edit to remove quote of removed post//

I don't know where you got that from. But remember that there was an increasing number of Thai people who wanted Taksin to leave and are more than happy that he is gone. I'm 100% sure that their reason had nothing to do with Royalty.

'JRTexas' said:

"During his tenure Thaksin made significant changes to the visa/business rules and regulations, making it more and more difficult/expensive for foreigners to live and/or work in the Kingdom. "

I think some changes would have come even if someone else had been PM.

And I expect further tightening up from time to time in the future.

Thailand is vulnerable to ingress by foreigners who could give it a lot of trouble.

Getting Thaksin to stay away makes a lot of sense. 'Adichai' mentioned what we are not allowed to discuss, but is the big thing in the background, and could suddenly become the foreground. But, in any case, a period of calm, of concentration on not letting another 1997 event occur, and of talking through another attempt at getting a workable Constitution, would be best.

This return to the 'bureaucratic polity' may seem to be a step backwards for the political governance development of Thailand, but it could be helpful to keeping Thailand on an even keel if the expected recession in the USA has big knock-on effects on Thailan's manufactured exports.

Of course they can ban Thaksin from returning! at least temporarily, that is. . .That was the whole point of the recent coup. Now they can pick up the pieces and prevent any of the corruption-tainted ancien regime from causing unnecessary "divisiveness." This is very much the "thai way" of politics.

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Sunday that he would not allowed his predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand for at least a year.

Cool. At last, we have a clear indication of what Surayud wants to do.

As for "pride" and "dignity", Thaksin then would have to wait... :o

A clear indication of what Surayud wants to do???????

Thaksin is banned because he was corrupt!!! true,,,,,,,,,,

A coup was held because nobody was brave or smart enough to run against him..... don't forget re-elections were suppose to be held last October.

Corrupt?????? In my opinion ,,, Thaksin was as corrupt as any other ######ing politician in the world.

Where would this beautyful country be without Thaksin after the crash in 1998.

All the rubberfarmers in the south are against him,,,, Due to Thaksin, 1 kilo of rubber in worth +/- 95 baht instead of 30 baht 2 years ago.

Thaksin was arrogant. yes

Thaksin was/is a clever business man. yes

Thaksin runned his country like it was his own business. yes

Thaksin had problems in the south. yes... the problems have increased

Thaksin didn't always smile on tv. yes

He wasn't the ideal leader,,,,, but who can do better in this country???????????????????????????

The crash was in 1996 and the Democrats under Tarrin as Finance Minister had already turned the country round.

The rubber price increased because of demand from China and India's booming economies, and the whole of the south except for one constituency still voted against Thaksin, in spite of his thinly veiled threats to give provinces that voted against him less priority in budget proposals.

A lot of Thai people can do better and it's starting already.

A post has been deleted. Please note one of the rules of TV forum:

"No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden. "

Of course they can ban Thaksin from returning! at least temporarily, that is. . .That was the whole point of the recent coup. Now they can pick up the pieces and prevent any of the corruption-tainted ancien regime from causing unnecessary "divisiveness." This is very much the "thai way" of politics.

What if just arrived at the airport. House arrest? In gaol? Very awkward for Thailand, whichever way.

Regards

I'd like to add my 2 bahts worth and say this is a good move by the PM to get some working room. Troublemakers can easily disturb the peace in this volatile, sensitive, and critical time. And it's most important the PM has the space and time to move ahead and get the ball rolling without interference.

Edited by Grover

Thaksin cannot return for at least a year: Surayud

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Sunday that he would not allowed his predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand for at least a year.

He said Thaksin should wait until a new government is elected in a year before returning to Thailand.

"The best way is that Thaksin should wait until the problems have been solved during the year ahead. When there is an election and a new government, it will be a proper time [for Thaksin to return to Thailand], Surayud said.

Surayud said it was inappropriate to allow Thaksin to return and put him under a house arrest as suggested by former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyud as doing so would be similar to an action of the Burmese military government.

-- The Nation 2006-11-12

Hopefully they will arrest the corrupt bastard!

:D

Have you ever met any thai or asian that will not make a buck on the side ! :o

The Nation just updated their story:

Update:

Wait another year: Surayud tells Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has told deposed leader Thaksin Shinawatra to wait until a democratic government is established to return to Thailand, effectively ending the latter's hope to come back to the country in the near future.

In his most unequivocal remark regarding Thaksin's London exile and his wish to return home, Surayud said: "The best way is for us to get past this problem-solving process. After a year, when we have an election and when a new government is in place, that should be the most appropriate time."

The tough stand on Thaksin's future came after the interim leaders clashed with a former powerful ally of Thaksin. Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, former prime minister and senior member of the Thaksin regime, has provoked the ire of the coupmakers by criticising their work and suggesting that Thaksin should be allowed to come home and be contained to his residence.

Surayud described the "house arrest" idea as "impossible." "That would also be tantamount to restraining him, which is not the way it should be. It would be like what happens in our neighbouring country. I don't think it's a good idea."

Thaksin, who has made it known that he wishes to return to Thailand from virtual exile in London, had been asked by those who overthrew him to be patient and wait until the political climate becomes more stable. The "stability" was initially linked by Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtat to the time when the martial law is lifted.

But Surayud made it clear that Thaksin would have to wait much longer. "When we have a constitution draft, a public referrendum and then the country is set to have an election, then the negotiations [on Thaksin's return] should be able to begin."

Amid persistent rumours about Thaksin's worsening "homesickness", this is seen as a smart move by some political analysts. Having been worried about "undercurrents" _ the term used to described remnants of the Thaksin regime capable of creating political turmoil _ the interim leadership has sent him a subtle yet clear message: Behave and you can come home in a year; Create trouble and it could be a very long wait."

Surayud refused to be drawn into the coupmakers' showdown with Chavalit. Asked if he thought Chavalit's criticism of the Council for National Security was motivated by the former prime minister not getting any "reward" for the overthrow of Thaksin, Surayud said: "He hasn't talked to me directly so I don't know."

The coupmakers have suggested that Chavalit was not happy that people close to him had not bee appointed to the boards of state enterprises which have been dominated by many senior men in uniform.

-- The Nation 2006-11-12

Chavalit, is smarter than most of his fellow generals. They accused Thaksin of cronyism, the fact is that our friends are putting their men in all kind of positions. Sadly enough also in companies that have a SET listing. He is spot on when he accuses our friends of having one eye on Thaksin who is a citizen which they can not bar (though Thailand did not sign many human rights treaties anyhow) and one eye on the money. At least they have a great Christmaas with lots of presents paid for by the Stockholders. Never invest too much in thai stocks is the lesson.

'JRTexas' said:

"During his tenure Thaksin made significant changes to the visa/business rules and regulations, making it more and more difficult/expensive for foreigners to live and/or work in the Kingdom. "

I think some changes would have come even if someone else had been PM.

And I expect further tightening up from time to time in the future.

Thailand is vulnerable to ingress by foreigners who could give it a lot of trouble.

Getting Thaksin to stay away makes a lot of sense. 'Adichai' mentioned what we are not allowed to discuss, but is the big thing in the background, and could suddenly become the foreground. But, in any case, a period of calm, of concentration on not letting another 1997 event occur, and of talking through another attempt at getting a workable Constitution, would be best.

This return to the 'bureaucratic polity' may seem to be a step backwards for the political governance development of Thailand, but it could be helpful to keeping Thailand on an even keel if the expected recession in the USA has big knock-on effects on Thailan's manufactured exports.

Yes, but Thaksin did not had the task to please a white-nose. He did great things for the poor and the economy grew on average over 6% a year. If I follow your view you guys should expel George W. as he is following a same Xenophobic policy and screwing the budget on top of that. Keeping Thaksin away is nothing more than fear. What will they do if he shows up on the streets of Chiangmai? Shoot him on the spot, put him on a plane to England?

This is absolute nonsense. Surely a Thai citizen cannot be banned from his own country! If all other countries refused him entry where would he go, the moon??

If he's broken any laws then yes, arrest him on arrival but surely banning a man from his home country is illegal...!!!

Like him or hate him, he's entitled to live in his own country!