Cashless Thailand

Cashless Thailand. You joking or what?

Today wife and myself were at an izuzu dealer, to buy a new pickup.

I proffered my card for payment. No only money no cards !! <deleted> !!

So my wife will have to go to the bank, what a bloody joke.

I'd find another dealer.

Well said. Carrying around 1MM baht in cash is pretty daft way to settle a big ticket purchase.

Sometimes glad I live in the UK for the majority of the year.

Cash for sandwiches etc., and cards for the rest. Can you imagine carrying in 20k sterling to settle the price of a car? No way.

In the UK, and pretty much every other first world country, you would never use cash. You would pay by cashiers check. Any car dealer that demanded only cash would make me run screaming from the place.

A car or truck is a big ticket item...the dealer might have to absorb a 3% fee to accept a credit card...I think you get the best price with a bank check or cash.

CASH.....

No money trail

Avoid surcharges

Avoid tax

Avoid card scams

I'm from Europe.

I have never understood the "American" way of using "plastic".

It looks like anybody can give a number and some scribble.

In Thailand No guarantee when frauds happen.

I like cash the Thai way.

For large sums can make fast transfers with mobile, show or mail screenshot, none or small fees.

I am old fashioned and a little paranoid. I would rather pay cash for things so that I do not worry about credit card or ATM copies suddenly causing my account to drop.

Image going into a lot of bars in BKK or pats and trusting your credit card to the staff of the bar. also it is very hard to use plasitc on the street it just does not seem to work when you ask them to bend over so that you can swipe your card.

For many who are paid in US dollars, it's already a part time cashless society.

Many use their American credit cards to save money, especially when the US$ is near a 10 year exchange rate high.

More and more utilize PayPal, especially small businesses that can scan credit cards from a PayPal scanner on their smart phone.

Some are even experimenting currently with implanted chips.

And many in financially broken countries barter exclusively.

If paper collapses, it certainly will be cashless.

Nice to see you offering your card for payment.

And I assume the pick up will be going in her name.

I know from your posts your wife is a good lady.

But I wonder how many farangs buy cars, motorbikes and houses for Thai women per day.

I'd find another dealer.

Well said. Carrying around 1MM baht in cash is pretty daft way to settle a big ticket purchase.

Sometimes glad I live in the UK for the majority of the year.

Cash for sandwiches etc., and cards for the rest. Can you imagine carrying in 20k sterling to settle the price of a car? No way.

In the UK, and pretty much every other first world country, you would never use cash. You would pay by cashiers check. Any car dealer that demanded only cash would make me run screaming from the place.

When I've done any large-ish purchase where credit/debit card can't be used, not something that happens often, I've done a bank transfer. Fairly easy to do. I expect that would be do-able with a car dealer who wanted "cash."

I keep some gold and occasionally sell some back to the dealer. One time received a check/cheque drawn on a bank across the street, which I immediately cashed, but otherwise I prefer to receive cash. I'd feel a little leery about it being a cashless transaction ... not because I distrust the dealer, but because of the small chance an electronic transaction would somehow get screwed up.

Edited by Suradit69

Try to post bail at the Criminal Court. They want to see the cash, even if bail is rejected. So 2 million Baht in CASH, take it from the bank and go to Court. Wait there until you can show it and then wait to see if bail is accepted. No not accepted, take CASH back to the bank. Amazing Thailand! Banks must love it.

Proclaiming, sarcastically, "Amazing Thailand" loses a little of it's impact when discussing the need to post bail in a criminal court.

A cashless society is the bankers' and governments' dream.

And your nightmare.

In a cashless society every single transaction goes through a financial intermediary. The rent seeking parasites would be taking a cut, however small, out of our pockets.

The governments would have access to all your finances, your life could be laid out and defined by all the transactions you have ever made.

And try to explain to the wife

12.03.2017 18:33 Noi 1,000

15.03.2017 14:50 Nok 1,300

18.03.2017 20:03 Ning 1,000

In the UK garages have a maximum they will take in cash, around £3000 max, the rest is Bank Transfer. If you have a load of cash to pay in to the Bank,the Bank always ask where you got it from, money laundering etc.

Contactless Cards are great, in places that have the facility just swipe your card and that's it even in Bars, I always ask for the receipt though,

Amazes me here in Thailand when you pay by card they don't even check the signature, in some cases giving you back the card before you have signed the slip.

Edited by Alex2015

Many small businesses here do not want an electronic record of their transactions because they fiddle the tax man.

What does infuriate me is when I see signs that a business accepts credit cards, but then wants to add 3-4% for "processing". That's when I walk out. It's their cost of business if they accept cards.

Between my credit cards & the Rabbit card I don't use much cash.

Paid for the cars with checks and service and fuel with credit cards.

So you never eat chicken and yellow rice at the local shop ... well our local shop won't accept a cc for 50thb.

Did you know that you can pay at Starbucks from your phone ...

There are people in Thailand who actually pay for tasteless dishwater?

So you never eat chicken and yellow rice at the local shop ... well our local shop won't accept a cc for 50thb.

There are! Are there? Really... I just eat the chicken and rice ...Oh and the white carrot ...but I leave the dish water.

Had yellow rice and chicken at OTOP today ...

Edited by JAS21

Recently bought a Toyota,they didn't want cash,only a cashiers check would do.

I presume the dealer would suffer some sort of charges,from the credit card company so decline the card usage.

Not really sure as I don't possess a credit card.

l never had a Credit Card either, & didn't want one.

But back in Aust l started buying books & parts online from the US & UK, so needed a CC to pay for them.

CCs are great but you must exercise restraint & control them vigorously.

Every time l went into the bank to pay the balance of my CC they would ask if l wanted to raise my credit limit.

l set mine at $1000 & resisted all efforts to raise it.

l also put extra money on my CC so that l can borrow more than the limit if l need it.

btw- Books & parts etc are much cheaper in the US & UK than in Australia.

Also used my CC in China.no problems.

Always wondered how they made that rice turn yellow.

post-134393-0-84292600-1465806930_thumb.

The thing with cash is you can`t be sure where the money has been and it`s dirty where as a card is cleaner and a safer option.

until the card gets copied and then you have to go to the bank and get some cash....." oh.... account mai mee".

Cashless Countries,,,

Sweden

Somalian

Kenya

Canada

South Korea

Some other top contenders include: Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, US, and Nigeria.

Also various European countries have limited cash transactions to 3500 euros

http://www.totalpayments.org/2013/07/08/top-5-cashless-countries/

I was in Hong Kong a few weeks ago, and it seemed plenty of people were using cash.

Still common to use cash for most small transactions in the US as well.

In the UK most banks have signs up stating the maximum amount of cash they will let customers withdraw daily unless prior arrangements have been made. The limit is normally £2,000. I once had an argument with a cashier as I needed a larger amount in cash, the manager was called and I was allowed the larger cash amount I needed only after I threaten to to close the account on the spot and take the entire balance in £5 notes which was substantial.

In the UK most banks have signs up stating the maximum amount of cash they will let customers withdraw daily unless prior arrangements have been made. The limit is normally £2,000. I once had an argument with a cashier as I needed a larger amount in cash, the manager was called and I was allowed the larger cash amount I needed only after I threaten to to close the account on the spot and take the entire balance in £5 notes which was substantial.

They don't have to give you £5 notes if they don't feel like it... Any denomination will do but I also have had to threaten to close my accounts competely and withdraw the full balance on the spot when they tried to impose silly restrictions on my money....

They don't have to give you £5 notes if they don't feel like it... Any denomination will do but I also have had to threaten to close my accounts competely and withdraw the full balance on the spot when they tried to impose silly restrictions on my money....

This sound like a government mandate of some kind.