Accepted at a school. What about the visa and airline ticket?

Last week I did a teaching demonstration at a secondary school somewhere in southern Thailand. The next day I got the news that I was accepted as their new teacher.

Since they made it clear to me that they will take care of my teaching license and work visa, the only thing I should do is buy a one-way ticket into Thailand. Or should I?

I am from The Netherlands and don't know which airline I'll be using. Could I just go ahead and buy a one-way ticket, no questions asked, with or without a tourialst visa to compliment it?

Before I fork out a large amount of money on a ticket, I would like to be sure.

• Like 1

I must attend a Thai culture course at Kurusapha which can wait until there's room for new students. Health care insurance I was promised would be the school's responsibility.

You can only obtain a teacher license when you hold a degree in education or equivalent. Moreover, Khurusapha doesn't conduct any Thai Language, Culture and Ethics course. Tourist visas can be converted into a non-immigrant B visa.

You can only obtain a teacher license when you hold a degree in education or equivalent. Moreover, Khurusapha doesn't conduct any Thai Language, Culture and Ethics course. Tourist visas can be converted into a non-immigrant B visa.

I hold a bachelor degree in Mathematics, which is what I'm gonna teach. I have no education degree, only practical experience teaching, which is what I made perfectly clear to the school.

I hold a bachelor degree in Mathematics, which is what I'm gonna teach. I have no education degree, only practical experience teaching, which is what I made perfectly clear to the school.

Under the current rules, you're not eligible for a teacher license. You need a degree in education or equivalent. If your degree is not from one of the Dutch research universities, the Teachers' Council of Thailand won't even grant you a provisional teaching permit as they don't recognise other 'degree providers' such as the Dutch 'HBO-instellingen'.

• Like 1

How does the conversion of Tourist to Non-B visa work? Will the employer do nost of the paperwork?

Also, I read that the employee (me) would have to make at least one visit to Bangkok. Since the school is in the far south (NAW) that would be a little problematic. Can it be done in the amphoe mueang, or Hat Yai for example?

How does the conversion of Tourist to Non-B visa work? Will the employer do nost of the paperwork?

Also, I read that the employee (me) would have to make at least one visit to Bangkok. Since the school is in the far south (NAW) that would be a little problematic. Can it be done in the amphoe mueang, or Hat Yai for example?

It can only be done in Bangkok and it requires two trips 15 days apart.

Best to go to Penang for the non-b visa.

" I am from The Netherlands and don't know which airline I'll be using" + "I hold a bachelor degree in Mathematics" = online ticket, perhaps?

" Since the school is in the far south (NAW) that would be a little problematic" = You'll travel quite a bit, don't worry.

Edited by ubonjoe
oft topic comment removed

"I have no education degree, only practical experience teaching..."

How were you able to teach previously?

• Like 2

Maybe get a tourist visa in Nederland, that'll give you 2 months for your school to sort paperwork out which you'll need to take to Penang consulate to get Non B visa. You'll get a 2 year "waiver" for teaching license, don't worry, you'll be ok.

• Like 2

Why don't you get the school to post the paperwork you need for your visa to you in the Netherlands.

Once you receive it, you can get your non-b visa from your local Thai embassy.

This way there is no travelling back and forth within Thailand, plus it will give you a chance to see how efficient the school is. After all, if they can't mail you the correct paperwork to the Netherlands then you will have had ample warning that they do not deliver on their promises - without having to buy a plane ticket.

• Like 1

Why don't you get the school to post the paperwork you need for your visa to you in the Netherlands.

This way there is no travelling back and forth within Thailand, plus it will give you a chance to see how efficient the school is. After all, if they can't mail you the correct paperwork to the Netherlands then you will have had ample warning that they do not deliver on their promises - without having to buy a plane ticket.

Never heard of this. Will schools actually do this?

Think we're a little pressed for time though: the school headmaster wants me asap and was disappointed I couldn't jist stay there after my last week's teaching demo. Since I kind of promised them I'd be returning mid-July at the latest, getting them to do the paperwork needed for a non-B visa from The Hague so soon is probably asking too much.

Never heard of this. Will schools actually do this?

Think we're a little pressed for time though: the school headmaster wants me asap and was disappointed I couldn't jist stay there after my last week's teaching demo. Since I kind of promised them I'd be returning mid-July at the latest, getting them to do the paperwork needed for a non-B visa from The Hague so soon is probably asking too much.

I agree, and as I said earlier, get a tourist visa from Den Haag and sort the rest out when you get here. You may need to get your certificates translated into English, anyone know?

Just a thought; maybe fly Schipol to Kualar Lumpa and on to Penang, do a tourist visa there.

Penang has been trouble for some recently - but they were all here in Thailand 6 mo+ before applying. If not here for an extended period recently, and given it comes straight off a 'trip home', Penang should still be ok. Even so, I'd suggest anyone get a Tourist Visa while in your home-country if possible, since you are "already there." One less thing to worry about later.

Edited by JackThompson