Angry Suvarnabhumi Locals Threaten To Block Roads

george

Angry locals threaten to block roads

SUVARNABHUMI: -- Residents disturbed by the noise of take-offs and landings at Suvarnabhumi airport yesterday threatened to block roads in the area if Airports of Thailand (AoT) fails to address their complaints. The residents of Chaiyapruek housing estate in Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan announced plans to submit a four-point demand to AoT management tomorrow.

These include calls for authorities to:

- relocate domestic airlines back to Don Muang in order to reduce the noise,

- introduce technology to reduce the noise of take-offs and landings of planes at Suvarnabhumi,

- compensate residents for the disturbance by fitting their houses with devices to contain noise, and

- ensure that all the demands be met by Dec 20. [... more]

--Bangkok Post 2006-11-13

Angry locals threaten to block roads

SUVARNABHUMI: -- Residents disturbed by the noise of take-offs and landings at Suvarnabhumi airport yesterday threatened to block roads in the area if Airports of Thailand (AoT) fails to address their complaints. The residents of Chaiyapruek housing estate in Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan announced plans to submit a four-point demand to AoT management tomorrow.

These include calls for authorities to:

- relocate domestic airlines back to Don Muang in order to reduce the noise,

- introduce technology to reduce the noise of take-offs and landings of planes at Suvarnabhumi,

- compensate residents for the disturbance by fitting their houses with devices to contain noise, and

- ensure that all the demands be met by Dec 20. [... more]

--Bangkok Post 2006-11-13

:o:D:D Riiiight... yet another angry mob (yawn) in the land of smiles.

Shouldn't they have said something before now? :D

The gov't should make the noise study available for public scrutiny and some engineers and acoustic experts should take some measurements in the troubled areas and see if the study was properly done and if the noise levels are what the study predicted or not......this is the rational approach and should proceed any action since the action to be taken depends on the findings.

Chownah

They've measured noise levels already, they promised to soundproof affected buildings for local university. They promised to soundproof people's houses and even pay for their relocation.

Any new study won't help a bit. People demand actions, not promises.

Plus you said " they promised to soundproof affected buildings for local university. They promised to soundproof people's houses and even pay for their relocation" ?

Where did you read this ? Whatever the document is that includes these assurances,does it mention how many homes/people could be effected ?

The gov't should make the noise study available for public scrutiny and some engineers and acoustic experts should take some measurements in the troubled areas and see if the study was properly done and if the noise levels are what the study predicted or not......this is the rational approach and should proceed any action since the action to be taken depends on the findings.

Chownah

:o

Yes there probably is a "noise problem". And they probably do need to find the best solution. But I personally know people who live within less than 500 meters from the start of the old runways at Don Muang. I have heard many times while talking to these people the roar of planes that were taking off from Don Muang, which drowned out what they were saying to me on the phone.

So somehow, I don't really feel that sorry for the people living close to the new airport.

:D

Well, was predictable. KL airport...in the middle of no-where, BKK airport, smack in themiddle of where people live. Cant expand, noise complaints......

dont think Taxsin should be too proud of this acheivement.

Can't really blame Mr. Big for the new airport's location. The plans for that were laid in 1960, when he was eleven years old. :o

The airport's been planned for more than three decades. Quite how anybody buys land near a proposed airport then throws their toys out of the pram when it gets noisy staggers me. I read that AOT was to purchase houses for the people that had built them more than a certain amount of years ago.

The airport's been planned for more than three decades. Quite how anybody buys land near a proposed airport then throws their toys out of the pram when it gets noisy staggers me. I read that AOT was to purchase houses for the people that had built them more than a certain amount of years ago.

I think the smell of compensation is in the air down there.

I can see a case for compensation for anybody having lived in the area since before the plans were originally drawn up.

Most of the rest will be speculators who bought up the land hoping for it to rise in price, bought up by the govenment or be developed for business. It's probably they who are behind these protests, espescially as the Govenment announced last week that much of it cannot be developed as it is a water run off area.

The timing is obviously to cause maximum financial damage over the xmas holiday period so maybe the French are behind this. Its obviously not just an outraged mob at work here. Somebody bigger is driving it.

Theres a good point though about the non-existance of a Buddhist lounge, whilst there is an Islamic prayer room already there. Countries nowadays cannot help themselves when it comes to pandering to Muslims.

Edited by Steph1012

Exactly what I think also and I commented on that back when these residents first started complaining several months ago. If they have been living in their same home since before the airport was ever proposed for that area, and their home is significantly impacted by airport noise, then they should be given reasonable compensation, ie. offered a buyout of their home for a fair price of what it would be worth had the airport never gone in there. I doubt there'd be very many even qualified for such a buyout, and any that are qualified probably wouldn't take it because their homes are likely worth much more with the airport there than if there wasn't any airport there. IMHO, nothing more than an attempted money grab by greedy home owner, business owners, and land speculators and the airport should simply ignore them.

Well, was predictable. KL airport...in the middle of no-where, BKK airport, smack in themiddle of where people live. Cant expand, noise complaints......

dont think Taxsin should be too proud of this acheivement.

Can't really blame Mr. Big for the new airport's location. The plans for that were laid in 1960, when he was eleven years old. :o

Sorry ...dont agree. If a plan was made 40 years back, a normal business person would re-visit the validity before making a $4billion or more investment 40 years later

I just arrived in Shanghai today....and yes, the new airport is about 1 hour from the town ( same as KL airport )

Edited by skippybangkok

You know what? Near Heathrow airport in London, residents who bought cheap housing due to the fact of close proximity TO A MAJOR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WHICH HAS BEEN OPERATING FOR DONKEYS YEARS are also up in arms for the same reason, even though Heathrow meets stringient noise regulations with only the quietest , most modern planes allowed.

Get a life and get out of mine. Jeez...

how typical of a thai to make noise !!!!!!!!!!!!!! any where you are in this place its noisy, if it isnt the soi dogs shagging and barking all night its the bloke selling vedgtables blasting it over a speaker at 6 in the morning or they suddenly decide to throw up a skyscraper outside ya gaff they dont care about noise then !! they knew an airport was gonna be built they just smell a baht now

Edited by gazzz

From Nation's archives:

AOT may buy 71 'old' homes

Published on Oct 20, 2006

Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) may buy 71 houses on 28 rai of land around Suvarnabhumi Airport as a partial solution to complaints of noise pollution.

The idea was one of two that came out of a meeting on Wednesday by the committee overseeing the airport.

Committee chairman Air Chief Marshal Chalit Pukbhasuk said that apart from buying up the 71 houses located too close to the airport, aircraft could be made to ascend to an altitude of 1,500-3,000 feet at a particular speed and direction to cut noise.

The 71 houses were selected largely on the basis they were built before 2001. People who bought or built homes near the airport after 2001 should have been aware they would be affected later by heavy air traffic, Chalit said.

http://nationmultimedia.com/search/page.ne...amp;id=30016665

and

SUVARNABHUMI

Students' safety 'risked in rush to open airport'

Published on Sep 7, 2006

College claims government ignored plea for Bt1.02 bn to address noise impact...

The institute had asked Airports of Thailand (AOT) to set a budget of Bt1.02 billion to solve the problems, but it had been ignored, Siriwat said.

In February, the government resolved to pay a first instalment of Bt214 million, but the academy has not received the money, although the airport is going to open on September 28.

http://nationmultimedia.com/search/page.ne...amp;id=30012962

Never mind - I forgot this is an entirely different tax base of people. have you ever seen a MD 80 take off with the nose pointed almost 45 degrees after the wheels have left the runway; its quite a sight! But you ###### well better follow takeoff protocol or some angry Newport Beach homeowners would be all over the city manager in a New York frakken minute baby!

petesake dont they have "noise abatement" protocols like they do at John Wayne Airport!

I'm pretty sure that Thailand doesn't have any noise abatement ordinances, or at least not anything like what would be in place at John Wayne. For starters, they allow take-offs and landings 24 hours/day at Suvarnabhumi.

Chownah

I currently live in the direct flight-path to/form the new airport. It is hel.l & I'm surprised folks have not complained before. It is impossible to live a normal life under the present flight conditions.

From around 11pm to 1 am the noise is terrible. Long-term residents will definitely have problems after a few more months of this.

Fortunately for me, at least, my lease expires fairly soon & we'll move away.

Edited by teepruksa

They've measured noise levels already, they promised to soundproof affected buildings for local university. They promised to soundproof people's houses and even pay for their relocation.

Any new study won't help a bit. People demand actions, not promises.

The take-off noise zone will clear a huge area & cost AOT so much money, that they'd go bankrupt overnight. It would be better to split the air-traffic load, as suggested & to provide a fast bus-link via the expressway between airports.

Then they can work out how to re-design the Taksin legacy.