One dead, 81 injured in fight at juvenile facility in South

webfact

One dead, 81 injured in fight at juvenile facility in South

2.jpg
Image: Thairath

SURAT THANI: -- One young person died and 81 were injured after a huge fight broke out between rival groups at a juvenile training facility in Surat Thani.

The youths had fashioned weapons from objects found around the facility and engaged in hand to hand combat reported Thairath.

Many were seriously hurt and hospitalized with sharp objects, rocks, aluminium strips and pieces of wood being used. It took police and soldiers called to the scene half an hour to restore order.

Reinforcements had to be called in.

One boy died in hospital. The fight is believed to have been over new recruits coming into the facility and disagreements between groups from a number of different southern provinces.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-15

Reminds me of an incident at a police training facility outside Rabaul, PNG. The Riot Squad was split into two groups during a training exercise. Someone threw a rock before the whistle and the practice became reality.

Which raised the question, who quells a riot in the Riot Squad?

Reminds me of an incident at a police training facility outside Rabaul, PNG. The Riot Squad was split into two groups during a training exercise. Someone threw a rock before the whistle and the practice became reality.

png mobile squads, bunches of hooligans, they make rtp look highly professional

The PNG police wouldnt mess around as I am sure you know. They would go in hard and people would get hurt. Unfortunately in Thailand dancing is more the way

I do not know what is meant by "training facility"...do they mean a facility to incarcerate youth? or a vocational school?

juvenile detention centre i reckon, if had been a vocational school they would have used guns.

I do not know what is meant by "training facility"...do they mean a facility to incarcerate youth? or a vocational school?

juvenile detention centre i reckon, if had been a vocational school they would have used guns.

At a vocational school the use of guns would likely be necessary as many students have them and wouldn't hesitate to use. rolleyes.gif

I wonder how many staff were on duty at the time ?

i have visited 2 juvenile detention centres, did not seem to manpower heavy, trade instructors and a fairly bare boned number of keepers.

So maybe ' just enough ' when all's quiet but nothing like enough when something kicks off ?

It's a Remand Centre, only 3kms from where I live and on the same road. There were incredible scenes from about 6pm for an hour involving police cars, ambulances and rescue vehicles racing up and down the main road. All vehicles had their sirens on full blast and for quite a while I imagined all sorts of things. I think from what some of the locals said that rival gangs within the Centre were fighting over who would get some new "recruits" that were on their way to the Facility from other towns around Surat Thani.

This is the first serious incident there for a very long time.

Surat Thai juvenile centre under thorough search after violent melee that left one dead, 81 injured

SURAT THANI: -- A combined force of soldiers, police and corrections officials today conducted searches of all living quarters of juveniles detained at the Surat Thani Youth and Juvenile Training Centre in Surat Thani province for weapon after yesterday violence that left one detainee dead, and 81 others injured, 30 seriously.

Bomb detectors were used to find if any explosive was hidden inside the detainees’ rooms, or buried under concrete fence wall of the centre.

The brawl erupted at 5.30 pm yesterday and spread throughout the centre, forcing centre authorities to call in soldiers and police to control the situation.

The melee followed a brawl between two groups of young detainees from Surat Thani and Nakhon Si Thammarat provinces.

More than 200 soldiers, police and corrections officials have to intervene in the violent brawls.

The centre director Mr Wongsak Pratiep-in said of the 30 injured admitted to hospitals yesterday, 18 are still hospitalised for serious injuries.

Surat Thani police chief today appointed a 20-member team to interrogate all the quarrelled youths, and officials of the centre.

Police said they would impose charge of rioting that resulted death and injuries against all who were engaged in the melee.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/surat-thai-juvenile-centre-under-thorough-search-after-violent-melee-that-left-one-dead-81-injured/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-15

this is only a few hundred metres from my house, there were police everywhere and it was a fight between the Nakon si Thammarat and the Chumpon groups(not Surat Thani). In Australia these places were called boys homes, this one houses boys from southern Thailand, the girls home is directly across the road. Apart from all the flashing lights there was not a great deal of noise, we actually drove past it on the way to having dinner, the biggest problem for them seemed to be how to get all the injured to hospital and then guarding them. The police training school is next door to it as well not that they did much, to be honest I saw bugger all army people there unless they were the ones that rocked up a couple of hours later after it was all over

Edited by seajae

The PNG police wouldnt mess around as I am sure you know. They would go in hard and people would get hurt. Unfortunately in Thailand dancing is more the way

Depends were in PNG, I think.... In the highlands, they aren't so "aggressive", where tribal payback is still king... Rather frightening implications, when you see coppers walking away from a pair of corpses, claiming payback rules have satisfied justice requirements..