Schengen Visa for Malta - Recommendations - Agent or Not?

Hi all,

I will shortly be receiving my Malta ID card having taken residency here. Next step is to plan my girlfriend's visa so she can come and visit me.

Would I be recommended going through an agent for the application? Does anyone know how much agencies normally charge?

Also, does anyone know what embassy processes Malta Schengen applications? Are the strict? Any advice to help make all of this straight forward, is very much appreciated.

We lived together for five years in Thailand and I can show money going into her bank (from me for living expenses), photos from the whole time, etc. I'm hoping there won't be any problems... should there be under those circumstances?

Cheers!

Most people won't really need an agency. The information on the embassies website is usually enough. You may wish to check the Schengen FAQ/ sticky near the top of this forum,

Your gf is the applicant, does she have any income of her own? Providing ties to TH (reasons to return) are going to be a very important factor. A job or any such obligation/connection with her country goes a long way in showing this.

I'll look up which country represents Malta in a bit. If I were to guess: Greece?

Edit: see below. Seems they represent themselves.

http://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/doc_centre/borders/docs/Annex%2028_MS'%20CONSULAR%20REPRESENTATION_16%20%2004%202012_EN%20CL.pdf

Edited by Donutz

For some reason Austria represents Malta, not the most logical thing...

Embassy website, only in German and Thai though:

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/botschaft/bangkok/ratgeber/reisen-nach-oesterreich/visa-informationen.html

They do use VFS, but VFS is entirely optional as per the Visa Code. I'd prepare the application with your girl as per the embassy (VFS site) instructions, then contact the embassy by e-mail for any additional information and asking for an appointment at the embassy. Saving yourself a service fee and as a bonus dealing with experienced staff who do not need a silly checklist or try to empty your pockets...

Luckily the embassy mentions direct applications, you can do so via e-mail:

Es steht den Antragstellern selbstverständlich frei weiterhin direkt bei der Österreichischen Botschaft Bangkok ihre entsprechenden Sichtvermerkanträge einzubringen. Bitte beachten Sie, dass dafür grundsätzlich eine Terminvereinbarung bei der Botschaft Bangkok per E-Mail (bangkok-ob(at)bmeia.gv.at) erforderlich ist.
Edited by Donutz

Thanks again! What is VFS? A list of things she will need in English would be fantastic. And would you recommend I contact them, or her? As with many Thais, she doesn't have much experience in dealing with forms and applications. Also I won't be there to help her in person.

For some reason Austria represents Malta, not the most logical thing...

Embassy website, only in German and Thai though:

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/botschaft/bangkok/ratgeber/reisen-nach-oesterreich/visa-informationen.html

They do use VFS, but VFS is entirely optional as per the Visa Code. I'd prepare the application with your girl as per the embassy (VFS site) instructions, then contact the embassy by e-mail for any additional information and asking for an appointment at the embassy. Saving yourself a service fee and as a bonus dealing with experienced staff who do not need a silly checklist or try to empty your pockets...

Luckily the embassy mentions direct applications, you can do so via e-mail:

Es steht den Antragstellern selbstverständlich frei weiterhin direkt bei der Österreichischen Botschaft Bangkok ihre entsprechenden Sichtvermerkanträge einzubringen. Bitte beachten Sie, dass dafür grundsätzlich eine Terminvereinbarung bei der Botschaft Bangkok per E-Mail (bangkok-ob(at)bmeia.gv.at) erforderlich ist.
Edited by Marcoose

VFS Global is an external (third) party, a service provider. Many embassies use either VFS Global or TLS Contact. For UK visas VSF is mandatory, for Schengen visas it is not.

Via the link to the Austrian embassy in my earlier post you can find a link to the VFS website. That VFS site is available in English and Thai. The website of the embassy is available in German and Thai. Your partner may wish to read the Thai webpages of both the Austrian embassy and VFS website.

Edit: I'd recommend that you both check chose webpages, then discuss the application and work from there. You may assist her with the forms, she will be applying though so she needs to know exactly what information you provided.

Edited by Donutz
  • Like 1

VFS Global is an external (third) party, a service provider. Many embassies use either VFS Global or TLS Contact. For UK visas VSF is mandatory, for Schengen visas it is not.

Via the link to the Austrian embassy in my earlier post you can find a link to the VFS website. That VFS site is available in English and Thai. The website of the embassy is available in German and Thai. Your partner may wish to read the Thai webpages of both the Austrian embassy and VFS website.

Edit: I'd recommend that you both check chose webpages, then discuss the application and work from there. You may assist her with the forms, she will be applying though so she needs to know exactly what information you provided.

Ah, I see. I think we're going to be better off paying a reputable agent to help with this. Are there any out there that come recommended?

I wuold start with gathering the documents:

http://www.vfsglobal.com/austria/thailand/tourist_docs_req.html

- http://www.vfsglobal.com/austria/thailand/thai/tourist_docs_req.html (Thai)

(VFS home page --> all about visas --> tourist visa ---> documents required).

If you did gather those documents, filled in the application form and (optionally thuogh adviced) a short letter written by you explaining why you invite her and that you'll see to it that she will return back, her having to take care fo her rental business etc. you are already completed most of the work. You'd basically may only need some person to assist you with feedback if the paperwork is all okay and can be submitted or not.

I don't have experience with any visa agents, though Paul and Tony from Thai Visa Express are active on these forums. They do UK visas for the most part but also Schengen visas. From what I can tell they do a very good job but there are plenty of other visa agents out there if you decide you need one or prefer to have proffesional assistance.

More on the free visa via a simplified and accelerated procedure fir EU/EEA/CH family members can also be found in the Schengen sticky on this forum. If Malta recognizes durable relationships akin to marriage as described by MGB you might (should) be eligable.

I am going to look into the long term visa if there is a good chance she will get it... I mean we are basically married but without the official title! I can imagine this being a longer process than the three month visa. I will therefore be looking to get assistance from an agent with this. The question is, do I get an agent in Malta (for example, the one that helped me with my application), or one in Thailand? I'm just not sure whether she will have to fill the forms in, etc. What would you do if you were me?

Just want to thank everyone who has chipped in so far, your feedback is really appreciated.

Sorry I have another question. Am I right in thinking the long-term visa takes roughly six months to complete? If this is the case, would it be OK to bring my gf over on the three month visa, while the other is going through?