Euro 2016: Lille braced for trouble as English and Russian fans converge

webfact

Euro 2016: Lille braced for trouble as English and Russian fans converge

606x341_335713.jpg

LILLE: -- Slovakian supporters celebrated their team’s 2-1 victory over Russia on Wednesday evening, following the Euro 2016 match between the two sides in Lille.

Both sets of fans stayed clear of the kind of trouble which has so far marred the tournament. Despite that, fears of further disturbances in the Northern French city were high.

Reporting from Lille, Euronews Andrei Beketov said: ‘‘When Russia was trailing two zero during the match, its supporters were downbeat but when they almost equalised and they still lost they became frustrated and angry. They’re now expected in the centre of Lille where large numbers of English and Welsh fans are waiting. There are fears they will want to settle a score and seek revenge on the Russians for what happened in Marseilles over the weekend. The situation is explosive and we are already hearing about some clashes.’‘

Earlier on Wednesday, in what is becoming a familiar scene, French riot police charged a group of up to 300 English fans inside Lille city centre.

Tear gas was used to disperse the crowd as a number of loud bangs were heard. .

Several people were reported to have been injured in the scuffles.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-16

France doesn't have to put up with this. They have a right to protect their country from violent mobs. Time to send a clear message. Disqualify England and Russia outright immediately. No ifs or buts. Do it, France.

I agree that such behavior of any fans is non-human and pointless, just stupid.

But I find it not fair to disqualify any team because of stupid fans actions. Most of fans are not like those bunch of 50-100 ultras.

France doesn't have to put up with this. They have a right to protect their country from violent mobs. Time to send a clear message. Disqualify England and Russia outright immediately. No ifs or buts. Do it, France.

But I find it not fair to disqualify any team because of stupid fans actions. Most of fans are not like those bunch of 50-100 ultras.

Of course they're not, but every responsible citizen is a stakeholder in society. The good fans have to apply peer group pressure on the bad fans - I believe it is a matter of peer-group control because Clockwork Orange-type treatment doesn't work and genetic reengineering is presumably out.

Disqualification will be the only shock sufficient to encourage a readjusment of attitude. Being soft only encourages the hooligans. There's a gathering tide of discontent in the world and not doing something about it will give the thugs the impression that society is deliberately letting loose the Kraken.

Of course they're not, but every responsible citizen is a stakeholder in society. The good fans have to apply peer group pressure on the bad fans - I believe it is a matter of peer-group control because Clockwork Orange-type treatment doesn't work and genetic reengineering is presumably out.

Disqualification will be the only shock sufficient to encourage a readjusment of attitude. Being soft only encourages the hooligans. There's a gathering tide of discontent in the world and not doing something about it will give the thugs the impression that society is deliberately letting loose the Kraken.

You're talking about disqualification of the whole football team because of bunch of ultras, 50~100 fans.

Don't you find it abusable in future matches?...

Specially crafted "fans" under some other's flag could do the same just to disqualify a whole team.