Pattaya Walking Street Go Go Bars in Midnight Raids

webfact

Walking Street Go Go Bars in Midnight Raids
Story by Albert Jack

pw.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Just after midnight on the morning of June 16 a police team raided the A Go Go Club on Walking Street.

Reports had been made that the venue was operating without a license and there have been suggestions that foreigners and minors were working illegally. In light of the recent clamp down on people trafficking in Thailand the reports were taken seriously.

Four other venues were also raided. However, each was found to be in possession of the correct permits and IDS checks revealed that no foreigners or anybody under the age of eighteen was working at the time. All cigarette and alcohol sales were also being properly recorded and taxed.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/225463/walking-street-go-go-bars-midnight-raids/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-06-16

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These "raids" continue to be nothing more than an orchestrated joke by the "police".

What's wrong with compliance verification during regular operating hours?

All businesses have to be compliant whether in Thai or abroad.

I was down on walking street last Sunday. We stopped and had a drink at a beer bar. Across the street was the Turkish ice cream guy and beside his business where a dozen Russian gals outside a club trying to get punters to come inside. Some of the girls are dancing on little stages outside the club. Saw many police wandering by and they did not even pay attention.

These "raids" continue to be nothing more than an orchestrated joke by the "police".

They have to make a show of it before the army comes. It can be a lot worse after that happens

So let me get this straight.

The news story here is that the police went on a raid acting on information & found that everyone there was abiding by the law?

I expect Fox, CNN, Al Jazera & the BBC to be making a bee line to soi 9 right now to get the inside angle on this.

These "raids" are for show. Almost a given that the targets are provided ample time to remove any incriminating people or evidence before the surprise raid. Compliance is a facade.

Reports had been made that the venue was operating without a license

Thai police should get some advice from the British police, they have a computer system linked to various authorities no need to present paper documents, police know if car have tax, MOT, insurance or driver no valid licence.

With such a system the police would have known before they raided the bar if it had a licence... such checks before the raid would save on these "Egg on Face" moments ...or was it an PR exercise??? "all bars have correct licence, no under age girls or foreigners working illegally" 555

Just remember to raid the right bars... giggle.gif

I'm glad to hear all ended well, with no underage girls. To allot of westerners the girls appear to look underage especially if new to Asia, But end up being in there early 20s. I do not want to be unintentionally with a underage girl from a gogo !!!

They have to make a show of it before the army comes. It can be a lot worse after that happens

This is the correct analysis of this action. The Pattaya police are simply trying to demonstrate to the Army that they (the police) have everything under control here in Pattaya. It's an effort by the leadership to keep their jobs, plain and simple!

If they are focusing on foreign and underage workers, then why aren't they going after Crazy house on soi 23?

I this article is about Pattaya but my comments also apply to the massage parlor raids of late.

The BIB apparently own Crazy House and get away with much more than any other bar I have seen around the Sukhumvit area.

Still a great place for a night out, I am just addressing the double standard of "enforcement" in LOS.

Have you ever wondered that a person can work in a go-go bar at the age of 18, but can't legally drink until they are 20?

Next time you are feeling generous and start buying the lady drinks or ringing the bell, think about the scams you could be nabbed for.

My excuse for not buying lady drinks..........................wink.png

I was down on walking street last Sunday. We stopped and had a drink at a beer bar. Across the street was the Turkish ice cream guy and beside his business where a dozen Russian gals outside a club trying to get punters to come inside. Some of the girls are dancing on little stages outside the club. Saw many police wandering by and they did not even pay attention.

I remember that place. Looked nasty, and not in a good way.

Seems the proper permits have been paid for nightly as time goes by.

"Just after midnight on the morning of June 16 a police team raided the A Go Go Club on Walking Street."

Was it a "crack team" or just regular? I see the ghost of Cromwell in how things have been drifting lately....

This is the correct analysis of this action. The Pattaya police are simply trying to demonstrate to the Army that they (the police) have everything under control here in Pattaya. It's an effort by the leadership to keep their jobs, plain and simple!

Or how about rival go go bars are claiming these allegations to disrupt the businesses in order to enhance their own due to the low season customer base.

I was on Walking Street last night and saw the large group comprising City Hall Officers, Municipal officers, District Officers, Army, regular police and Tourist police along with foreign volunteers from the latter two. It did seem that they were checking licences and actual book records of staff and ID's of same with no interest in bar patrons. "Raid" does not seems to be the word for it all but it was a photo op for all and no doubt part of looking the part which is not at all uncommon here.

I'm glad to hear all ended well, with no underage girls. To allot of westerners the girls appear to look underage especially if new to Asia, But end up being in there early 20s. I do not want to be unintentionally with a underage girl from a gogo !!!

Doesn't underage in Thailand mean under 18?

Absolutely, When the police are doing there job they still get slagged by some.

So based on some bogus tip they raid the place?? Whoever tipped them off should be charged

Yes, that is all it takes, one phone call with absolutely no evidence whatsoever ! Happened to me once, a person who had a grudge, and a whole bus load of narcotics squad came all the way from Bangkok, burst into my apartment and took it apart ! To their credit they did apologize and gave me a document stating that they had found nothing in their search, but it is a terrifying experience even if one does not partake in hard drugs. Amazing the problem that one nasty sphincter can cause, but yes, all it takes is one call :(

You realize legally everything must be closed (not closing, last orders) by midnight yeah ??

Your in favor of no venues being open at 12:01 AM

Archived