How to get rid of your Netflix US or Uk woes forever.

sniffdog

If you use a VPN provider you know how hard it can be for them to keep providing servers which are not known to Netflix to be VPN servers.

I ran into PureVpn which provides 2 years of VPN service for a mere US$ 49.95. And the great thing, for another $5 per month they provide you a dedicated IP so Netflix would most likely not find out you use a VPN.

It seems they have public IPs which still work with Netflix, but that might be gone soon. A dedicated IP would almost guarantee to fix your Netflix woes.

I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing that a t2.micro Linux box at AWS with OpenVPN on it would also work just fine, and Amazon will let you use that for a whole year for free, if you can set it up smile.png

Edited by IMHO

Interesting. I really have to look into this. I'd like to have a dedicated VPN IP. But note that for Netflix you don't even need VPN. You can use a service, Adfreetime (adfreetime.com) that give you access to NetFlix outside the USA and its really inexpensive. I think $2/month. I;ve been using it for about a year now. And it allows you to access UK, USA and other Netflix regions.

I had been using ExpressVPN starting in 2013. At the beginning of 2016, Netflix, Hulu and other pay view servivces were blocked. Frustrated, I ended my subscription with Netflix and told them why. I also told ExpressVPN that I was ending their service based on my experiences of being blocked.

The ExpressVPN rep guided me through using alternative US servers and now, no problem viewing any US pay per view service.

Hotspotshield suits me and works on my mobile devices for Pandora etc. It's $30 a year (elite) and that covers up to 5 devices. It does not work with Hulu or Netflix USA but Amazon Instant Video comes through. It used to work with Netflix but when Netflix Thailand started up they started blocking VPN's I guess to force customers in Thailand to pay for a second account(??).

Netflix in Thailand and other countries will not be the same as the US. There will be less US programming and more to suit local tastes. To not do so would be to make the same culture-blind mistake Disney made with Disneyworld Paris. There's a long, detailed article in the NY Times about Netflix's international efforts. They are literally everywhere on the globe now except China (of course). In each country they have to offer a lot of local content at the cost of English-language content.

Edited by Dustdevil

I use trickbyte, which is an alternate DNS rather than VPN. The cost is about 3USD/month, and has been working flawlessly with Netflix in the US for the past 2 years. I believe they support Netflix in other countries as well as many other geo-restricted streaming services.

There are two slightly annoying caveats to using trickbyte(dotcom), one is that you must re-register your IP address with their servers anytime your ISP changes your address (typically, every 24 hours or so). Secondly, you need to have access to the routing tables and DNS specs in your router so that you disable the common Google DNS servers (8.8.8.x) so that trickbyte's DNS servers will be used instead. Their website contains detailed instructions for how to do this on most routers.

The benefit over VPN is that the only traffic that flows through a 3rd party server is DNS requests, so theoretically, an alternate DNS is more efficient as there are no additional bottlenecks.

The easiest way to stop your Netflix woes is to stop trying to illegally access it in countries where you are not licensed to watch it. Please close this topic

Some people are satisfied with plain life, others seek ways to enhance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I had been using ExpressVPN starting in 2013. At the beginning of 2016, Netflix, Hulu and other pay view servivces were blocked. Frustrated, I ended my subscription with Netflix and told them why. I also told ExpressVPN that I was ending their service based on my experiences of being blocked.

The ExpressVPN rep guided me through using alternative US servers and now, no problem viewing any US pay per view service.

I Can confirm as of Today Netflix us works with Express VPN that i started yesterday...

Loads more selections compared to the Thai version of Netflixs very happy so far....

I have not set up the Dedicated IP address option with Express VPN yet as i am new to this service and still researching that option

Edited by glassdude007

Netflix in Thailand and other countries will not be the same as the US. There will be less US programming and more to suit local tastes. To not do so would be to make the same culture-blind mistake Disney made with Disneyworld Paris. There's a long, detailed article in the NY Times about Netflix's international efforts. They are literally everywhere on the globe now except China (of course). In each country they have to offer a lot of local content at the cost of English-language content.

Not true. They offer no local content in Thailand. You pay the same prices as the USA with half the content. Netflix is discriminating against Thai people.

The easiest way to stop your Netflix woes is to stop trying to illegally access it in countries where you are not licensed to watch it. Please close this topic

It is legal to access in Thailand. You pay the same as the USA but with half the content. Netflix is charging Thai people twice the cost per movie as American people.

• 1 month later...

I can’t run down VPN. I think it’s an easy way to watch not only Netflix’ shows, but enjoy most geoblocked streaming content. I usually spend my holidays abroad. So I have a VPN provider to give access to them. I can choose an appropriate VPN and select an American server. This will allow me to unblock all US-only services. I can’t recommend any VPN because we all have different purposes. Usually I spend many time to ascertain the situation before going to any country and to choose an appropriate VPN. This website helps me a lot https://www.bestvpnrating.com/blog/why-vpn-essential-how-you-can-choose-best-one We must realize that some rules cannot be applied to all countries. The law varies from state to state. It concerns net usage too. What about me, I’m absolutely sure that VPN is legal. But if you doubt, better ask experienced users https://www.quora.com/Is-watching-Netflix-outside-the-US-via-VPN-legal

• 2 months later...

DrDave,

Are they still up and running? Been a member for two years an when I renewed the subscription with them two months ago or so, now with VPN as well, I never got it to work and no replies from Trickbyte.

Edh

I use trickbyte, which is an alternate DNS rather than VPN. The cost is about 3USD/month, and has been working flawlessly with Netflix in the US for the past 2 years. I believe they support Netflix in other countries as well as many other geo-restricted streaming services.
There are two slightly annoying caveats to using trickbyte(dotcom), one is that you must re-register your IP address with their servers anytime your ISP changes your address (typically, every 24 hours or so). Secondly, you need to have access to the routing tables and DNS specs in your router so that you disable the common Google DNS servers (8.8.8.x) so that trickbyte's DNS servers will be used instead. Their website contains detailed instructions for how to do this on most routers.
The benefit over VPN is that the only traffic that flows through a 3rd party server is DNS requests, so theoretically, an alternate DNS is more efficient as there are no additional bottlenecks.

On 10/7/2016 at 1:27 AM, edh said:

DrDave,

Are they still up and running? Been a member for two years an when I renewed the subscription with them two months ago or so, now with VPN as well, I never got it to work and no replies from Trickbyte.

Edh

The company was sold a few months back, but continued to operate. When the time to renew came last month, the PayPal process failed with a cryptic message about government regulations not allowing the transaction, so I've now given up on them. Good while it lasted.

On 6/26/2016 at 7:02 AM, Scotwight said:

Not true. They offer no local content in Thailand. You pay the same prices as the USA with half the content. Netflix is discriminating against Thai people.

To be fair to Netflix, it's the content owners who impose these geographical restrictions on the content. The one thing that is not geographically restricted is... Netflix's own content.

Not completely true

6 hours ago, jybkk said:

To be fair to Netflix, it's the content owners who impose these geographical restrictions on the content. The one thing that is not geographically restricted is... Netflix's own content.

Not true. For example, Longmire is a Netflix production but not available in Thailand. So there is restriction.