Windows 7 Updates Problem - Maybe With Defender

Speedo1968

I have Windows 7 on fairly new laptop.

All automatic updates are turned off.

Windows automatic updates turned off - I check manually every day around the same time.

No problems with previous updates of Windows.

Update on 09 June ok.

No updates available between 09 and 12 June.

Update 12 June for Defender.

Now when checking for updates Windows continues searching and searching and searching.

When checking last Defender Update following information is shown.

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.223.1196.0)

Installation date: Sun/12/06/2016 06:16

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/overview.mspx

Help and Support:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661

How can I delete this update - ( it says I cannot ) ?

Can I delete Defender and reinstall ?

Where can I reinstall from - internet or my Windows Package ?

Any help appreciated - please note I am not a techie.

Why do you want to delete it ? It seems that you can't, you only can turn it off (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15788/how-to-uninstall-disable-and-remove-windows-defender.-also-how-turn-it-off/)

It seems that you don't have an AV (Anti Virus) installed on your PC if you don't, then Windows defender will be your AV and it will from time to time update it's definitions.

I have a Commercial AV installed and I check for Updated AV Definitions every 4 hours, this to catch the latest Viruses (hopefully wink.png )

Edit: If you have a problem with Windows Update go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

"Now when checking for updates Windows continues searching and searching and searching."

yes it does that sometimes - then it works and sometimes if you google around you can find a way to clear a reg and make it work again. Install an AV like avg, avest, or avira etc. I found sometimes 7 does not like manual update because they can't backdoor the win10 nagware. let it auto update and deal with the nagware.

You can turn off Windows Defender as noted above and yes, you ought to seek out a paid AV suite with firewall, or alternative "free" versions.

My Win7 takes a long time when I manually search for updates, but I normally don't fiddle around with that.

Instead of uncontrolled Automatic Updates or manual checking, I prefer to use the "Check but Notify Only" setting in Windows Update.

I get a Windows Update pop up notification when weekly or random updates become available. I go through the list and un-tick/deselect the ones I don't want or need, such as the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tools, which is often 40+ megabytes.

post-134393-0-79166900-1466138844_thumb.

Why do you want to delete it ? It seems that you can't, you only can turn it off (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15788/how-to-uninstall-disable-and-remove-windows-defender.-also-how-turn-it-off/)

It seems that you don't have an AV (Anti Virus) installed on your PC if you don't, then Windows defender will be your AV and it will from time to time update it's definitions.

I have a Commercial AV installed and I check for Updated AV Definitions every 4 hours, this to catch the latest Viruses (hopefully wink.png )

Edit: If you have a problem with Windows Update go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

Have Kaspersky Internet Security, always updated and have used for many years.

Never used freebies.

Should I delete / turn off Defender in that case, if there is a possible conflict issue ?

Thanks for info about how to turn off.

Left my machine on for about 5 hours today, didn't use any programs, Windows Updates Search running only, finally loaded updates.

One update is "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x 64 June 2016 KB 890830. Is this ok do you know when using Windows 7 ?

You can turn off Windows Defender as noted above and yes, you ought to seek out a paid AV suite with firewall, or alternative "free" versions.

My Win7 takes a long time when I manually search for updates, but I normally don't fiddle around with that.

Instead of uncontrolled Automatic Updates or manual checking, I prefer to use the "Check but Notify Only" setting in Windows Update.

I get a Windows Update pop up notification when weekly or random updates become available. I go through the list and un-tick/deselect the ones I don't want or need, such as the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tools, which is often 40+ megabytes.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thanks 54Jay for all the info.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed, always use this never use a freebie. Found it works well and easy to use.

I use manual checking for all updates.

Left machine searching for updates today - not using laptop for anything - took nearly 5 hours to find updates. Installed all except the following:- do you know if this is ok with W7 ? I thought I read somewhere that this Tool can cause issues with W7 and MS efforts to enforce the use of W10.

one update is "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x 64 June 2016 KB 890830. Is this ok do you know when using Windows 7 ?

Don't knock the MSRT it certainly doesn't hurt to run it. There are still thousands of machines infected with conficker because of people too stupid or stubborn to apply Windows updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/890830

Thanks for the article link, I've been deselecting MSRT updates for a couple years but see now it is a useful thing to let run.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed, always use this never use a freebie. Found it works well and easy to use.

Left machine searching for updates today - not using laptop for anything - took nearly 5 hours to find updates. Installed all except the following:- do you know if this is ok with W7 ? I thought I read somewhere that this Tool can cause issues with W7 and MS efforts to enforce the use of W10.

one update is "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x 64 June 2016 KB 890830. Is this ok do you know when using Windows 7 ?

After reading the article posted above by Chicog, the update you've mentioned isn't "really" necessary if you're running solid AV software, but it is considered one more tool in the tool box. Read a couple other articles and did not see any mention of specific problems with it in Windows 7. http://www.howtogeek.com/180773/what-is-the-malicious-software-removal-tool-and-do-i-need-it/

Spending hours watching Windows Update sit and spin isn't my idea of a good time but you know how to adjust your Windows Update settings. As they say, "Up to you".

After reading the article posted above by Chicog, the update you've mentioned isn't "really" necessary if you're running solid AV software, but it is considered one more tool in the tool box. Read a couple other articles and did not see any mention of specific problems with it in Windows 7. http://www.howtogeek.com/180773/what-is-the-malicious-software-removal-tool-and-do-i-need-it/

Spending hours watching Windows Update sit and spin isn't my idea of a good time but you know how to adjust your Windows Update settings. As they say, "Up to you".

In this day and age this is no such thing as "solid AV software"... with a few exceptions, they are all dependent on knowing about the malware and having the signatures for it.

VirusTotal currently registers half a million new variants EVERY DAY and it has peaked at a million. And that doesn't include what they don't see.

So I wouldn't just say it's harmless to use the MSRT, but recommended.

In this day and age this is no such thing as "solid AV software"... with a few exceptions, they are all dependent on knowing about the malware and having the signatures for it.

VirusTotal currently registers half a million new variants EVERY DAY and it has peaked at a million. And that doesn't include what they don't see.

So I wouldn't just say it's harmless to use the MSRT, but recommended.

Right, I suppose AV software can result in a false sense of security.

Never heard of VirusTotal. Visited and bookmarked the site. Tx.

I thought defender was for later versions and security essentials was for 7, but anyway if you have anti virus with your kaspersky you shouldn't be running defender or mse.

I have W7 Build Date June 2015, installed on new laptop last year.

Do you think there are or good be conflict issues ?

I dont use Essentials.

i have already been offered updates for W10 but W10 is only downloaded ( forced as you know ) but not installed, therefore I dont download W10 updates.

I expect to be long gone before Windows stops updates for W7. Also as laptops dont last the 10 years or so like they used too ( physically ), my machine probably wont be here either.

Thanks again "55jay" got your name right this time.

I thought defender was for later versions and security essentials was for 7, but anyway if you have anti virus with your kaspersky you shouldn't be running defender or mse.

Do you think there are or good be conflict issues ?

I dont use Essentials.

i have already been offered updates for W10 but W10 is only downloaded ( forced as you know ) but not installed, therefore I dont download W10 updates.

I expect to be long gone before Windows stops updates for W7. Also as laptops dont last the 10 years or so like they used too ( physically ), my machine probably wont be here either.

If you want to get rid of the 10 files on your pc try "never10" and you can block more attempts to download 10.

Thanks again "55jay" got your name right this time.

The last question, which should of been the first one, is.... are you running Genuine Windows 7, or an unlicensed, boot leg copy?

At any rate, Windows Defender and/or Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, are not likely culprits in making Windows Update take a long time. If it's any consolation, I had a bunch of Windows Updates yesterday, took a long time to download and install, but I let it run its course while I did other things online, and eventually prompted a Re-Start to finish update installations.

<snip

<snip>

Where did you get that date from ? June 2015 I mean

I bought a new laptop.

I bought an original boxed MS program and had it installed. It is Win Pro 7 SP1 x64 English. Manufacturing details on box.

I bought an original boxed MS Office Home & Student 2013 and had it installed.

<snip

<snip>

I bought a new laptop.

I bought an original boxed MS program and had it installed. It is Win Pro 7 SP1 x64 English. Manufacturing details on box.

OK, but my question was a fair one to ask, especially in Thailand. Dodgy windows could certainly be a factor with Windows Update issues.

As Chicog mentioned above, there was a whole gang of updates pushed out and I think I had missed some before as well, so took a while to get through them yesterday. Re-Start, then had several more queued up afterward.

FWIW, I had a shed load of those Microsoft NET Framework 4.6.1. updates, and I've noticed those seem to take a long time to process. The download progress window sat on 0% for a Loooong time, and the one by one installation process took a while as well.

Don't knock the MSRT it certainly doesn't hurt to run it. There are still thousands of machines infected with conficker because of people too stupid or stubborn to apply Windows updates.

Thanks, will download and install

If your Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is up to date, it includes Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thanks, will download and install

If your Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is up to date, it includes Microsoft Security Essentials.

I don't think that's true.

<snip

<snip>

I bought a new laptop.

OK, but my question was a fair one to ask, especially in Thailand. Dodgy windows could certainly be a factor with Windows Update issues.

As Chicog mentioned above, there was a whole gang of updates pushed out and I think I had missed some before as well, so took a while to get through them yesterday. Re-Start, then had several more queued up afterward.

FWIW, I had a shed load of those Microsoft NET Framework 4.6.1. updates, and I've noticed those seem to take a long time to process. The download progress window sat on 0% for a Loooong time, and the one by one installation process took a while as well.

I've always found it's quicker to manually download .NET Framework updates and apply them manually.

It's an absolute dog updating servers with the bloody things otherwise.

Archived