Basic Samsung Cell Phone

eljuwa

Greetings Chiang Mai Forum Members

I always value the input/opinions of the CM Forum.

I wish to buy a basic Samsung mobile/cell phone. I am not interested in any smart phone, Edge nor Galaxy. I have a AIS telephone number and I wish to keep this same number. Presently I have 3G. I wish to have 4G.

Since I use an Azus tablet with high speed internet, I am able to use a SIM ( I have 2 SIM card slots) card when I visit other countries (frequent overseas traveller). Previously I had a 2 G basic cell phone (Samsung) and I like Samsung.

In summary, I wish to have: (1) Basic cell phone with my AIS Sim card - UNLOCKED (2) Since Samsung has so many models, I do not know which model that I should be buying - please help me with the description/model number of Samsung. (3) Any recommendations as to where I could buy this in Chiang Mai.

Gratefully yours

James

I wish to buy a basic Samsung mobile/cell phone. I am not interested in any smart phone.

Presently I have 3G. I wish to have 4G.

This is confusing.. you want a basic phone (not a smart phone), but you do want to have 4G? And you want 4G on this basic phone in order to .... what? There is nothing a basic non-smart phone does that would make use of a 4G connection, or 3G even for that matter.

Or do you want to share the connection to that tablet you have? Basic phones don't do that, you'd need a simple smartphone for that.

So anyway, do you want to hear something new: No more basic non-smart phones. I was on the Jaymart site earlier today and they don't actually offer a basic non-smart phone anymore, by any brand, not even the cheapo brands.

If you really want one you might still be able to find one at Airport Plaza for example, either an older model that's new, or second hand.

Alcatel I think make a really basic phone for seniors. Not sure that they still have it, or that their target market died out.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I wish to buy a basic Samsung mobile/cell phone. I am not interested in any smart phone.

Presently I have 3G. I wish to have 4G.

This is confusing.. you want a basic phone (not a smart phone), but you do want to have 4G? And you want 4G on this basic phone in order to .... what? There is nothing a basic non-smart phone does that would make use of a 4G connection, or 3G even for that matter.

Or do you want to share the connection to that tablet you have? Basic phones don't do that, you'd need a simple smartphone for that.

So anyway, do you want to hear something new: No more basic non-smart phones. I was on the Jaymart site earlier today and they don't actually offer a basic non-smart phone anymore, by any brand, not even the cheapo brands.

If you really want one you might still be able to find one at Airport Plaza for example, either an older model that's new, or second hand.

Alcatel I think make a really basic phone for seniors. Not sure that they still have it, or that their target market died out.

Thanks, WinnieTheKhwai

Your response is greatly appreciated. My knowledge is extremely limited and you have made clear - what I did not know.

So, I wish to buy an inexpensive smart phone - preferably if Samsung has one.

Which model do you recommend ?? Do I go to a JayMart store to buy this or is there a shop that will sell Samsung at a discounted price.

Once again, thanks for the input

Thanks, WinnieTheKhwai

Your response is greatly appreciated. My knowledge is extremely limited and you have made clear - what I did not know.

So, I wish to buy an inexpensive smart phone - preferably if Samsung has one.

Which model do you recommend ?? Do I go to a JayMart store to buy this or is there a shop that will sell Samsung at a discounted price.

Once again, thanks for the input

Yes, Jaymart. They may be a very tiny bit more expensive than the cheapest hole-in-the-wall shop but with Jaymart you can be sure that you get one that's new in an un-opened box.

* For Samsung, note that the cheapest models are very short on memory, which means they get sluggish to use. So don't go for the most basic model such as the J1: it's crap.

* Physical size may be a factor: A popular and affordable model is the Samsung J7 but it's fairly bulky. You may like that (big screen) or you may prefer something smaller, like the J5.

The J5 costs 7,900 Baht. If that's above your budget then I would still not get the cheapo J1 but look for a cheaper brand, such as for example the 'Wiko' brand.

All Wiko models have silly names, but they're solid phones with good specs for the price. To use they're almost the same as Samsung as they're also Android phones.

For the Wiko, get any model that you like the size of hand has at least 2Gb memory and 16 Gb storage built in.

For example the 'Wiko Pulp'. (Told you they had silly name didn't I. wink.png ) This model is 3G only and costs 4000, I doubt you'll notice faster connections with 4G.

But if you want 4G then there is 'Wiko Pulp Fab', or the 'Wiko U Feel Lite' which I think only takes one SIM. (I wish I was making this up, but that's what they're called. :/ )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hi

(Edit : In case you change your mind from Samsung to another brand...)

Check for Asus Zenfone Laser, dual sim, 4G, 5inch, around 5 or 6,000 THB. Or cheaper, Zenfone Go. 4,000thb

Phil.

Edited by khunphil

AIS gave me my cheapo 3G phone several months ago...it can only be used with AIS....they actually had a booth set up today outfront of the Hawei office on the north side of the moat..close to Samsung Office...with three new in the box cheapies, called something like travel phone...a girl in the basement of KSK had a table set up with a sign that said 599 on it...but I think with AIS, they might charge you a few hundred, but you will get that in a usage credit, good for one year.

Samsung J2 5000 baht. Or wait for the J2 2016 or J3 which will be slightly better. Buy it from an official Samsung branded shop and get free tempered glass screen protector, a crappy case, and update to latest firmware while u wait.

^ If the J2 then better wait for the 2016 version as the old one is 1 Gb memory and 8 Gb storage. That'll fall off the cliff after loading some apps.

But then they may still price it too high; Samsung doesn't do ultra budget phones very competitively I think.

Have a care buying a phone with a 'tie in' with a telecom company (e.g. AIS/Dtac etc) as they can come with a lot of preinstalled apps - bloatware - which can't be uninstalled without 'rooting' the device ( removing any blocks made by the manufacturer to prevent bloatware removal). This bloatware can (drastically) reduce the amount of memory storage you may need/want on your device for apps of your own choosing and rooting your device can lead to warranty issues depending on the manufacturer.

Quite often these tie-ins offer seemingly attractive offers but you can find these easily enough for yourself,direct with the telecom company of your choice.

IF you want 4G then I would say look at the lower end of 'SIM free' smartphones in some depth as anything less will just not offer the full efficacy of what you can do with 4G. SIM Free merely means that the device isn't tied in with any telecom company and you are free to install your own SIM and shop around for the package of your choice.

My first foray into the world of the smartphone was a lower end 'SIM Free' Sony Xperia and I wasn't disappointed. I was free to shop around for my own deal and I got a hefty 12 GB 3G (as it was then) with Dtac/Happy for around B8/900 a month. (The whole 3G coverage debate still rages on as I don't think I ever saw the '3G' symbol showing on my device more than 2 or 3 times a week.....

There are many good lower end smartphones around for 2-8000 Baht; Lenovo, WIKO, Huawei and ASUS are decently priced but can be low on RAM and be a little 'laggy'. They would be ideal to 'find your way around' with, without the large outlay.

Pay a bit more (B10,000+) and you're moving into the realms of smartphone heaven.

Have a look at Invade IT who are always on the ball.

There are quite decent low-end smartphones in the 2000-3000B price range.

A trip to the nearest Tesco Lotus might be advised to see them on display and be able to play with the phones a bit (provided that someone has thought of keeping them charged - not always done). You may find better prices but not always worth the trouble.

I-Mobile, a local rebrander which sells models very close to the Wiko ones but is a local well-known company (better IMO) makes some very decent phones for that price. They're offering much more for the same price as entry-level Samsungs or even cheaper.

However not all of them are good. You really want to hold them and especially look at the screen angles and luminosity. Some of them have really mediocre screens.

I am happy with my smarter than me Samsung Galaxy 2. I had a cheapo that was not a smart phone. I got tired of having to be in specific spots to get reception. As much as 5 feet would some times make such a big difference it was worthless. Plus I could not get the volume turned up high enough to suit me.

For the Wiko, get any model that you like the size of hand has at least 2Gb memory and 16 Gb storage built in.

For example the 'Wiko Pulp'. (Told you they had silly name didn't I. wink.png ) This model is 3G only and costs 4000, I doubt you'll notice faster connections with 4G.

But if you want 4G then there is 'Wiko Pulp Fab', or the 'Wiko U Feel Lite' which I think only takes one SIM. (I wish I was making this up, but that's what they're called. :/ )

I have this feeling that I'd be reaching for some form of medication if I sank so low as to purchase a Wiko U Feel Lite phone or any other model of their crappy range.

Great brand if you're 77 years old, though.

So many CM Forum Members have contributed to this topic started by me. All of you know who you are - so THANKS VERY MUCH...

To someone like me with little knowledge, I learnt a lot.

Once I establish my firm budget, I will decide which model of smart phone that I should buy.

Repeating my sincere thanks to all of you.

Best regards

James

Low end phones may do all the talking and data passing you need. But, if you plan to take pictures (and that's one of the neat things about smart phones), beware the cheaper models can really come in short in picture quality when compared to their big brothers.