Cabbie seen jumping on a car’s bonnet faces withdrawal of driving license

rooster59

The driver of the white car should go back to Nanny land. What a tosser...

Shame the locals didn't stick him.

So what would you have done in that situation?

A polite wai, and apologise for being on the correct side of the road?

One can see the black car have plenty of room to overtake the falang's white car, on his left, right?

So why on earth this tosser (yes) stubbornly refuses to go that way from the very beginning?

attachicon.gifpost-247607-0-80826200-1466202032_thumb.jpg

Are you <deleted> cking blind? The taxi has clearly pulled into the white cars lane. If the taxi needed to move into the white cars lane, he should have waited until the lane was clear of cars, then move into the lane. This is obviously another case of the me syndrome that you see so often on Thai roads. It seems that the only tossers in this story are you and the taxi driver.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minor idiot-issues like this shouldn't result in an ego-battle.

Just move-on and go with the flow.

"Farrang" has been lucky not to be confronted by groups of bystanders, which could easily result in his death.

I don't understand this mentality - I had a similar experience, a truck hit me from behind and refused to stop in slow moving traffic.

I too stood in front of the truck like the guy in the video, while decent Thai people who's children could have also been injured by my careering bike went and got the police, others stood about and wanted to give statements.

As other posters have said, you can hear the cameraman told an arriving taxi driver to calm down because the other guy had been jumping on his bonnet.

Yet this attitude that all Thais are going to gang up against the farang are perpetuated on this forum yet so often far from the truth.

One can see the black car have plenty of room to overtake the falang's white car, on his left, right?

So why on earth this tosser (yes) stubbornly refuses to go that way from the very beginning?

You have cherry picked an image here.... Review the video feed.

It appears to me that PERHAPS the taxi was attempting to cut in front of the white car to do a right turn, but did not have the space to do so ( I've seen my front end nearly taken out several times by taxis or minibuses, over the years, because they habitually cut corners and seemingly have no understanding of what the paint markings on the roads mean)

At the same time, the white car appears to be blocked in by the car behind, preventing it car from reversing.

After the taxi drivers initial attack on the white cars door, yes... There is plenty of space for the white car to then "escape" a potentially volatile situation... But the mans car has just been maliciously damaged by this crazed taxi driver, whilst he was carry a child, to boot.... So why should he accept this lawlessness?

It also seems to me that the farang conducted himself calmly and reasonably throughout the encounter, even when getting his foot run over.

Give an inch, take a mile... IMO, every time a Thai gets away with (assaulting) this type of behavior, it only emboldens other Thais to act similarly

Seems to be a single lane road and one of them, either the taxi or the car, could have reversed a little bit to let the other car pass through. Looks like both had big ego problems. The foreigner was foolish as it could have easily led to violence.

Are you kidding????

It is OBVIOUS from the picture that it is a TWO lane road.... The give away is the lane line painted on the road..... This is one of the problem with this site, too many Thais comment on things, and as is the Thai way..... they, like you, ALWAYS try to justify Thai BAD behaviour....

I would be putting in a police report for at least criminal damage to the vehicle. I would also be making clear to my insurance company that I would not accept any deduction of my no claims over that.

You can see the Thai's were hovering about waiting for it to kick off!.. And the Farang would of been the target whether he was right or wrong!

Another BS post, that has been "liked" because it reflects the usual TV stereotyping of Thais.

Almost all of the Thais simply took a quick look and carried on with their own business.

And if you managed to get to the five minute mark you will see Thais trying to prevent an escalation into violence. Exactly the opposite of what you were hoping for to vindicate your bigotry.

I'm not that sure about this being a stereotype.

I only had once a road accident in Thailand. Waiting at a red traffic light (for a while already), a motorbike came crashing on my bumper. It was night but everything was plain red: the traffic light, my cars lights and my braking lights. Getting out of the car, calmly, I found the driver behind my car, a young guy obviously totally drunk, trying to get back on his feet.

While I was asking him if he was ok, a Thai couple stopped and asked him something that I didn't understand, waited a moment, then left.

My point is that, this couple didn't even look at me or try to communicate with me. The situation made it oblivious that he ran into my stopped car and was at fault. But even so their only motivation to stop was to check "something" with the Thai driver.

I'm pretty sure after all these years that they only stopped in offer to offer assistance to the Thai in case he had a problem with the farang (was he on the ground because I hit him?).

Why do I believe so? I've seen very disturbing cases of crash victims lying on the road with tens of cars passing just avoiding "the obstacle". Zero assistance!

The national nerve is much more sensitive than the helping reflex.

Stereotype?

For me it's rather a view based on experiences.

There may have been several reasons why the Thai couple did not communicate with you, maybe they could only speak Thai. But clearly you were uninjured and the Thai rider was having some problems, so maybe they only wanted to check to see if he needed some medical assistance? Did you do anything to initiate a conversation?

I have also seen cars passing an accident scene, and all they do is slow down and take a photograph. It is the "not my problem and I am not making it my problem" attitude, which I have seen in Farangland too. But some do stop. And certainly I have many more times seen pedestrians go to help at accidents. But nobody ever posts about that.

The confirmation bias is overwhelmingly strong on TV.

And for some reason there is a hard core of posters always ready to bring up the negativity. Probably they have always been like it, even when back in Farangland. The Brits have even made moaning a part of the culture.

Thailand and the Thais are not perfect. But it is pretty good here.

And it is way better than it was a decade ago.

Talk about stupid.(owner white car) its not your country so dont think you own the road. if he was polite and let the taxi cross, no problem. a real f..................idiotclap2.gif

Ok, Have you EVER held a drivers license in ANY country around the world before????? I can NOT imagine that you have, with such a stupid response. You can CLEARLY see the line painted in the middle of the road, and the TAXI is partly on the WRONG side of the road, and then the stupid monkey is causing huge damage to the white car....Probably because he is on yaba or drunk, like most Thai drivers. If this MORON did this in most other country, he would get bashed, shot or locked up...... Learn to drive...

You can see the Thai's were hovering about waiting for it to kick off!.. And the Farang would of been the target whether he was right or wrong!

Another BS post, that has been "liked" because it reflects the usual TV stereotyping of Thais.

Almost all of the Thais simply took a quick look and carried on with their own business.

And if you managed to get to the five minute mark you will see Thais trying to prevent an escalation into violence. Exactly the opposite of what you were hoping for to vindicate your bigotry.

I'm not that sure about this being a stereotype.

I only had once a road accident in Thailand. Waiting at a red traffic light (for a while already), a motorbike came crashing on my bumper. It was night but everything was plain red: the traffic light, my cars lights and my braking lights. Getting out of the car, calmly, I found the driver behind my car, a young guy obviously totally drunk, trying to get back on his feet.

While I was asking him if he was ok, a Thai couple stopped and asked him something that I didn't understand, waited a moment, then left.

My point is that, this couple didn't even look at me or try to communicate with me. The situation made it oblivious that he ran into my stopped car and was at fault. But even so their only motivation to stop was to check "something" with the Thai driver.

I'm pretty sure after all these years that they only stopped in offer to offer assistance to the Thai in case he had a problem with the farang (was he on the ground because I hit him?).

Why do I believe so? I've seen very disturbing cases of crash victims lying on the road with tens of cars passing just avoiding "the obstacle". Zero assistance!

The national nerve is much more sensitive than the helping reflex.

Stereotype?

For me it's rather a view based on experiences.

There may have been several reasons why the Thai couple did not communicate with you, maybe they could only speak Thai. But clearly you were uninjured and the Thai rider was having some problems, so maybe they only wanted to check to see if he needed some medical assistance? Did you do anything to initiate a conversation?

I have also seen cars passing an accident scene, and all they do is slow down and take a photograph. It is the "not my problem and I am not making it my problem" attitude, which I have seen in Farangland too. But some do stop. And certainly I have many more times seen pedestrians go to help at accidents. But nobody ever posts about that.

The confirmation bias is overwhelmingly strong on TV.

And for some reason there is a hard core of posters always ready to bring up the negativity. Probably they have always been like it, even when back in Farangland. The Brits have even made moaning a part of the culture.

Thailand and the Thais are not perfect. But it is pretty good here.

And it is way better than it was a decade ago.

Most thais are great and very helpful and considerate however there are some that are not. I would consider pointing out the ones that are not and expecting Thailand to do something to modify this is not unreasonable.

I'm not so sure! The white car could have had a car right behind him at time of incident making it impossible to move. However, once the cars behind him moved around him, he could have then moved and your point would be valid. Unfortunately, by then, the "tosser" had made up his mind to be a righteous pri#k. Looking at his size it would not surprise me that in his past he has used his physical attributes in getting his own way. "Cooperative" driving is the keyword here. With congestive narrow roads you kind of got to take the good and bad. Not that I like it. It's just the way it is. It would be nice to have proper roads but that's not reality. As a pedestrian who seldom drives I have to accommodate car drives / motorcycles even if I have the right away. Its a way of Thai life and, by the way, I don't plan to be "dead" right in my decisions,

Talk about stupid.(owner white car) its not your country so dont think you own the road. if he was polite and let the taxi cross, no problem. a real f..................idiotclap2.gif

Ok, Have you EVER held a drivers license in ANY country around the world before????? I can NOT imagine that you have, with such a stupid response. You can CLEARLY see the line painted in the middle of the road, and the TAXI is partly on the WRONG side of the road, and then the stupid monkey is causing huge damage to the white car....Probably because he is on yaba or drunk, like most Thai drivers. If this MORON did this in most other country, he would get bashed, shot or locked up...... Learn to drive...

That was my whole point.

I have driven in many countries on business and been driving in Thailand for 10 years. Some of those countries even worse than Thailand. I have never had an issue on roads any where as i am not stupid but fully aware of my surroundings.

It is understanding that

1) it is not your country

2) local culture, which maybe drunk drivers, drug induced, hot heads etc.

3) do not provoking violence.

4) Not always having to insist you are right and the offender is wrong.

It could have been so much worse if this hot head(taxi) had a gun. Not worth risking's ones life to be correct. It is called wise.coffee1.gif

Years ago i stopped at a red traffic light, just before the white line draw on front of the zebra crossing, on my left i had a pickup with a long antenna and this guy wearing that typical white T-shirt you can see some "particular" locals wearing, he started asking me why i did not stop on top of the zebra crossing, i kindly declined knowing that this would result in a fine, but he was really insisting on it....

Then on another occasion i was (legally)driving at speed, i had this police's pickup overtaking normally and then suddenly almost stopping on front of me, luckily i almost expect the armageddon to happen every time i drive out, so i quickly avoided collision without much effort, then this car kept going at a speed of a bicycle, i overtake and looked at the Bibs inside, they were all smiling as they clearly knew what they just tried to do....TITs

Seems to be a single lane road and one of them, either the taxi or the car, could have reversed a little bit to let the other car pass through. Looks like both had big ego problems. The foreigner was foolish as it could have easily led to violence.

you seem to have a very big car if that is a single lane road in your opion.

LOL

a fact as soon as they see there is a foreigner involved Thai change and become different in the way they accept and do things.

and if no cam in the car then you get thinks like this/

tell more about the Thai then about the foreginer.in this case

Edited by Autonuaq

If a Thai had been driving the white car, would they have been as obstinate or let the taxi driver pass?

This is simply another example of Farang in Thailand believing their rights are being infringed upon, thinking they know better than the locals and therefore justified in their actions based on how things work in the their home country.

The Thai taxi driver, along with many other Thais, have probably done this maneuver countless times without issues then comes across this farang. He was probably thinking who is the falang being an ass when I'm just trying to get by? Who does this arrogant f*kr think he is coming to my country and acting like he owns the road?
By the looks of it the farang in the white car lives in Thailand and owns the vehicle. He knows how things work but refuses to accept them instead looking down on the Thais as being primitive and uncivilized which justifies his actions.
His behavior is no different than the crazy farang woman complaining about roosters waking her up in the morning or the whining farang complaining about dogs crapping on the street.

A Example of a idiot Farang Driver and a stupid Taxi driver.......or......Fool meets Douchbag! Generally the Farang is blocking the Road, the Taxidriver stupidly overreact. To move the license is logical.

Edited by ujayujay

If a Thai had been driving the white car, would they have been as obstinate or let the taxi driver pass?

This is simply another example of Farang in Thailand believing their rights are being infringed upon, thinking they know better than the locals and therefore justified in their actions based on how things work in the their home country.

The Thai taxi driver, along with many other Thais, have probably done this maneuver countless times without issues then comes across this farang. He was probably thinking who is the falang being an ass when I'm just trying to get by? Who does this arrogant f*kr think he is coming to my country and acting like he owns the road?
By the looks of it the farang in the white car lives in Thailand and owns the vehicle. He knows how things work but refuses to accept them instead looking down on the Thais as being primitive and uncivilized which justifies his actions.
His behavior is no different than the crazy farang woman complaining about roosters waking her up in the morning or the whining farang complaining about dogs crapping on the street.

I wonder if Khun Taxi Driver would have pulled the same stunt if instead of being a Jazz it was a Merc with blacked out windows.

I know that soi very well and the problems associated with it, they are not unique to that soi, they are common all over Bangkok.

There is defiantly a yellow line in the middle of the road, the white car is within the white line the taxi isn't, cars are passing the white car on the left, and the white car would find it hard to back up, Mexican stand off, the taxi driver thinks he has the right of way and the time he spent verbally abusing the other driver they could have both moved out of each others way.

Also, we are always told that we should not loose our temper with Thais, as it is part of their culture, but as we have seen many times it appears to be an acceptable part of their culture to get upset with furang's.

The Taxi driver jumped on the white car knowing well that he would get a slap on the wrist for it and will be driving taxi's next week with a fake taxi ID.

Amazing Thailand.

No, No, NO .....do not be informing the know it all T.V. com brigade there actually exists LAWS, that if followed, would relieve all the other drivers of such events like you see in the video.

Like you stated:

There is defiantly ( you meant definitely ) a yellow line in the middle of the road, the white car is within the white line the taxi isn't, cars are passing the white car on the left, and the white car would find it hard to back up, Mexican stand off, the taxi driver thinks he has the right of way and the time he spent verbally abusing the other driver they could have both moved out of each others way.

This is the aggressive, me first, dangerous driving conduct that takes place everyday while surprisingly many members on this website will defend it and argue on behalf of the dangerous driving conduct and inform us that this is the "Thai Way of Driving" ..... so we should all just let the more aggressive drivers bully everyone else while ignoring any need to practice any lawful right of way driving etiquette or practiced driving decorum ...rather just let other drivers aggressively cut people off and cause the conditions for an accident and create altercations such as seen in the video....you know the Thai way of thinking.

I am glad the Foreigner did not back down while you see how fast 2 then 3 or more Thai people came to defend the Thai person while the foreigner kept his calm while the A-hole Thai taxi Cab Driver obviously showed that he feels he is entitled to do what ever he pleases.

If I was the foreigner I would tell the police:

The car stalled ...I could not start the car so I could not move the car....not my fault ...then the crazy Thai taxi driver went berserk because I could not move my car and he refused to back up and go around...he could have ..but did not...but I tried to explain but he just shouted and screamed at me and threatened to kill me and ..well you see what happened...then he tried to murder me by running over me...as seen in the video....

Cheers

...don't hold your breath....

...don't even expect the insurance to cover 'the farang'....

...give us a 'name'...or a 'label'....we are no longer human....with next to zero rights...

...shut up and pay and pay and pay....get abused at every turn....even murdered.....even by your own wife no less.....

...why do you not return to your home country if you are so suffering in bad Thailand?

And most of the Thais you can hear talking in the clip think that the taxi driver is an idiot. Some of the Thais want the foreign guy to move his car over to the side of the road but can't hear anyone saying he's done anything wrong.

In this circumstance there is a right person ( farang) and a wrong person (Taxi driver). This isn't rocket science although, some of you idiots are trying to make it as such. Yeah right the farang was suppose to sit there and let the taxi driver get away with the car assault and damage. Some of you guys have completely lost your minds. SMDH

That was my whole point.

I have driven in many countries on business and been driving in Thailand for 10 years. Some of those countries even worse than Thailand. I have never had an issue on roads any where as i am not stupid but fully aware of my surroundings.

It is understanding that

It could have been so much worse if this hot head(taxi) had a gun. Not worth risking's ones life to be correct. It is called wise.coffee1.gif

You say "wise" ... Others may agree

I say "victim"

This type of behavior is indicative of the systemic problems associated with being the worlds second placed road carnage destination.... To accept this in any way is to except the road carnage in its totality.... And therein lies the risk to us all... Including yourself

And if Thailand wants to reap the rewards from twenty million zillion tourists, it is insane to suggest that Thais are in the right, simply because they are Thais.

I bet some of you people must be scared stiff of getting out of bed in the morning worry about upsetting a single Thai person. The chance of getting killed seems to be 100% if you upset someone.

I have seen trouble break out between Thai and farang on a number of occasions and never yet seen the mob join in.

You can hear the Taxi Driver shout: 'Hia' which is a very strong insult in Thai.

Not really. It's just like <deleted>. Every Thai teenager says "hia" and so do most Thai men when in company with each other.

Words are not the problem - actions are. This taxi driver's ego was the problem.

All the foreigner needs to do is call his insurance company and they will pay for his damages. 1st class insurance pays everything here - even damage caused by self if you drive into a tree, for example.

His pride may be hard to swallow but as long as he has 1st class insurance, he won't be a dime out of pocket (notwithstanding a possible deductible of 1000-2000 Baht but since this incident wasn't his fault, the deductible probably won't apply).

That was my whole point.

It is understanding that

You say "wise" ... Others may agree

I say "victim"

This type of behavior is indicative of the systemic problems associated with being the worlds second placed road carnage destination.... To accept this in any way is to except the road carnage in its totality.... And therein lies the risk to us all... Including yourself

And if Thailand wants to reap the rewards from twenty million zillion tourists, it is insane to suggest that Thais are in the right, simply because they are Thais.

clap2.gifblink.png So you would rather advise people to follow the foreigners behaviour and cause a conflict and have the risk of being killed then. Submissive and wise are always good traits to pack in your luggage before you leave your birth country. It avoids what has just been posted and i never said it was right or that it is acceptable behaviour. Live long to enjoy your travels hopefully coffee1.gif

All the foreigner needs to do is call his insurance company and they will pay for his damages. 1st class insurance pays everything here - even damage caused by self if you drive into a tree, for example.

His pride may be hard to swallow but as long as he has 1st class insurance, he won't be a dime out of pocket (notwithstanding a possible deductible of 1000-2000 Baht but since this incident wasn't his fault, the deductible probably won't apply).

Sorry but that's not all that needs to happen. The farang was assaulted by a taxi driver and as such the police needs to be involved. Besides criminal actions on the police end, a civil action should be initiated by the farang against the out of control taxi driver!

And lest we all not forget the taxi driver's child is in his car while this assault takes place. Great role model for the future don't ya think?

I'm guessing of course but it looks as though the taxi was about to turn right before he'd reached the junction which is common Thai practice. The taxi does back a little and it seems that the white didn't go forward because of traffic passing on the left. Again, just a guess but the taxi driver probably got a bit impatient because of the hesitating white car.

Perhaps someone can correct if I'm mistaken but I can't see any tax/insurance on the windscreen of the white car, but then again I can't see any on the black Toyota either so maybe just bad light.

Judging by some of these replies, I must be blind!

What I see is 2 numbnuts engaging in a totally unnecessary confrontation. The farang ALWAYS had the opportunity to simply back up (there WAS room if he is any kind of decent driver), swerve a little to the left, and he was out of there.

Perhaps he had a hard day in class? wai.gif

Anger solves nothing.