10 Baht songtaws

ev1lchris

A really sweet lady showed my friends and I where to pick up a songtaew and how much to pay for each ride.

However, she got really concerned because she didn't want the drivers to suspect her of giving us this information. She was afraid that if they found out they would actually kill her!

She's risking her life to make sure we get proper transportation. And it does amaze me that drivers are willing to kill over this.

I suppose it's like in Bangkok where the meters are the law but many drivers want you to pay a flat price.

It's finding out the reality of things like this that really disturb me. By the way, I really hate the songtaew and taxi drivers. They are scum of the earth.

Only the greenest newbies dont know that a standard bahtbus trip here costs 10B. It's not a secret.

Your lady friend is a bit loopy.

Pattaya bahtbuses are amongst the best and cheapest in Thailand. For real overcharging scum try Phuket or Chiang Mai public transport.

Yea the greedy bastard baht bus drivers charging 10 baht for a ride...

It use to be 5 baht then they decided to rip every one off and charge 10 baht...

I would rather walk than be extorted for 10 baht....

I have been threatened with violence by baht bus drivers when explaining to Russian tourists that the fare was 10 baht, not 20 baht. Interestingly, the tourists were also hostile towards me, so my general policy now is to not help inform tourists.

The OP is rather an exaggeration, over-simplification of the situation, but there is a root of truthiness to the general point. Local operators who are used to overcharging uninformed tourist certainly ARE capable of violence against people that try to inform the tourist marks.

A really sweet lady showed my friends and I where to pick up a songtaew and how much to pay for each ride.

However, she got really concerned because she didn't want the drivers to suspect her of giving us this information. She was afraid that if they found out they would actually kill her!

She's risking her life to make sure we get proper transportation. And it does amaze me that drivers are willing to kill over this.

I suppose it's like in Bangkok where the meters are the law but many drivers want you to pay a flat price.

It's finding out the reality of things like this that really disturb me. By the way, I really hate the songtaew and taxi drivers. They are scum of the earth.

Really and where exactly is this "secret" location in Pattaya ? I smell a troll .

I believe the great wish of the baht bus drivers is to charge 10 baht for locals and 20 baht for tourists. But if you give them 10 baht exact at the end for a standard ride no one will bat an eyelash. Paying with a 20 baht note and expecting change might cause some resistance.

SL

I honestly am thankful every day for the baht buses...

I doubt there is any cheaper or more convenient transportation any where else in the world...

If you live on a baht bus route that is...

The baht buses are so cheap they are almost free...

I pay about 10-15 dollars a MONTH all-in for transport in Pattaya...

Yea for baht buses....

I believe the great wish of the baht bus drivers is to charge 10 baht for locals and 20 baht for tourists. But if you give them 10 baht exact at the end for a standard ride no one will bat an eyelash. Paying with a 20 baht note and expecting change might cause some resistance.

SL

Bullsh*it.. i pay with 20 Baht notes all the time and NEVER had a driver even trying to refuse giving me the change.

the fee is THB 10 within each zone (Jomtien, Pattaya, Naklua) and that's for at least 10 years now.

the THB 5 fee was usually for students, teachers and government people.

Troll post or no troll post, stop analyzing posts whether they're troll posts or no troll posts......trolls!!

SL

Bullsh*it.. i pay with 20 Baht notes all the time and NEVER had a driver even trying to refuse giving me the change.

You must be soo hamsome man then 555.

the fee is THB 10 within each zone (Jomtien, Pattaya, Naklua) and that's for at least 10 years now.

the THB 5 fee was usually for students, teachers and government people.

Troll post or no troll post, stop analyzing posts whether they're troll posts or no troll posts......trolls!!

That is incorrect. There are no zones. The fare is 10 baht. For very long rides the fare is 20 baht. Very long is undefined. That's where your gray area is other than the small percentage of drivers pushing for more than 10 for obvious 10 baht rides especially during high season.

Archived